iPod Bit Rates

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a 60 gig video iPod with around 10,000 songs on it that I have ripped from my CD collection. As a compromise I have converted them at 192kbps, which is OK. But recently I have checked the Variable Bit Rate option to see what difference it makes.

Do any of you guys use VBR and if so what is your opinion of it in terms of sound quality?

A

Anonymous

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too. Assuming you encoded using Apple's AAC codec. I use the same at 192kps or my collection would take up too much room, though I am thinking of upping it into the mid 250s from now on.

What's the consensus on variable bit rates then?

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
From what I understand 192kbps is virtually CD quality, so I doubt you would notice much difference by upping it. You can't make it higher than the source your ripping it from.

This is how I understand it, please correct me if i'm wrong.

A

Anonymous

Have to say I've heard that that is not true at all. 600+ would be closer to CD quality I think. Now, correct ME if I'm wrong. And anyway, I've always been happy with 192 AAC. Sounds good enough from an iPod. After all, they're limited by their own electronics. Anyone else have a view?

A

Anonymous

192kbps is nowhere near CD quality and there is definitely an improvement even upping it to 256kbps, but space is the issue.

I guess that the main thrust of my question is what peoples opinion is of the variable bit rate option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts