admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Oka now i confess I have had a iPad since day 1 but since day 1 I have notice a few things I hardly use my MacBook air any more. which made me reevaluate the situation. Now the iPad does 80% give or take what a mac can do but still you need a MacBook for that other 20% again give or take depending on the individual's need. So then i realised/came to think what does the iPad do that a MacBook can't do then in hit me (nothing) specially if you have A iPhone for camera etc in fact the only thing the iPad has over the MacBook is its portability side of things it's lighter we'll If you have a MacBook air it's a little lighter.So why do we/my self buy a iPad? Because you can touch it? use it as a see this is we're I'm struggling? There to through the list of things a digital alarm clock? Couldn't you just buy a digital alarm clock? Oka maybe a digital recipe cook? Again you could use your MacBook or just use the real thing plus if you haven't already noticed there's not a lot of digital recipe books available! To show off your pictures? Again that what digital photos frames are for or again just use your MacBook? It's hard to believe we get led in to things like this that actually we can't even come up a good reason why we got one I'm starting to think the iPad is pointless? It's trying so hard to be something/everything without actually being it! Photoframe? A book? A games console? A computer? We have these devices that do the jobs that intended so we're the iPad fit in? It's a stunt apple has performed a stunt to make us think we can find a use for something that we already have?

Paul.

Well actually Apple just made a tablet. The App developers found the uses for it.

I don't understand, you hardly use your Macbook Air but you are complaining the iPad is pointless?

My Mum and Dad love their iPad, but I prefer the pleasant warmth my 17" MBP gives off. The irony is to me, your Macbook Air is pointless cos I can't do my job on it. Horses for courses, each to their own etc. Just cos the Air is no use to me, I wouldn't brand it a pointless device.

A

Anonymous

The point of me writing it was not to get people thinking I don't need 1 it's pointless but maybe a little heads up so to speak so they wouldn't go rushing in wasting there hard earned cash on a device they might/ don't really need. And the point I was getting at with I use my iPad 80% of the time and my MacBook only 20% of the time that the majority of us still need a MacBook no matter what way you look at it as the iPad is limited what you can do.

A

Anonymous

Just to add what I'm saying I (personally) believe that us as buyers are getting led in to thinking we need a iPad and if this thread serves any purpose I like to think I save some1 £400 and they use there money were it actually needed it was just a opinion. Still I yet to find any forum and thread that anyone comes up with a good reason why to have 1 that a MacBook/iPhone can't already do!

A

Anonymous

Maybe I can't spell or I'm terrible at punctuation. lets leave the remarks out of what has nothing to do with what were talking about.

Paul.

No body needs an iPad, or a stereo, or a television. This whole forum is dedicated to the power of want rather than need.

If you are doing 80% of your stuff on the iPad, why do you need a MacBook Air? If you can get by on a £400 machine, why use a £850-1300 machine?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Just yet another pointless, antagonistic thread, of which there seem to have been a lot recently.

I'm sure most people on here are adult enough to know how to spend their own money, even if others may disgaree with their choices.

A

Anonymous

Pointless thread? That reminds me there was a advert on yesterday, apple or something magical device they kept saying. I be stupid not to buy it, after all it's magical but of course I do a bit of research see what people opinion are on it oh wait of course no one gives there opinion on things because it's pointless so I buy it and just hope it's as magical as they say. People are entitled to there opinion you might not find it useful but some people might again if you got nothing to say about the thread in hand other than questioning someone on there punctuation or if they see it as a pointless thread just don't say nothing at all lol honestly though!

A

Anonymous

What I was saying most people including my self need a MacBook no matter what as the iPad is unable or performing a particular task. Even if it does mean using it once a week give or take all I was trying to get a cross is i have perfectly good computer that does everything I want it to do but I find my self still using my iPad why is a very good question? enough to bring it up and try to get to the bottom why us as consumers still feel the need for something we don't need. (not all of us but some maybe some of us). And maybe give people who still can't make up there minds to buy one or not my opinions why I have decided most probably to give up my iPad!

A

Anonymous

Not at all but to appreciate people have there own opinions.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Daniel 1 said:
most people including my self need a MacBook

Really? Need?

The iPad (and other tablets) are about ease. I can quickly check IMDB to see who that actor is that I can't place, I can sling it in a bag and watch a movie on a flight. Do I need it? No, not at all. Do I need 99% of the things I own? Again, no. Will that stop me buying the next thing I want? Not even slightly.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
Daniel 1 said:
most people including my self need a MacBook

Really? Need?

The iPad (and other tablets) are about ease. I can quickly check IMDB to see who that actor is that I can't place, I can sling it in a bag and watch a movie on a flight. Do I need it? No, not at all. Do I need 99% of the things I own? Again, no. Will that stop me buying the next thing I want? Not even slightly.
+ 1 me too

A

Anonymous

I agree with Lee H for me it's all about how instant the ipad is. If i watch tv and want to find something out eg where have i seen that actor before it's the closest step to having my brain wired to Google. What i don't get is why people would give you a hard time on here for asking a perfectly reasonable question. These people should go onto youtube to make their pointless comments.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Going back to the initial question, I actually would turn this on it's head. Until I got an iPad I may well have agreed with the general suggestion of the original post. However, after owning an iPad for 10 months I have reached the conclusion that I don't actually need anything else other than an iPad.

This was demonstrated two weeks ago when I turned my PC to do something and on shutting it down there were 27 updates to be applied!

I would welcome a Mac Book (air or pro, I'm not fussy :) ) but cannot really justify the expense

A

Anonymous

The iPad is great but it lacks the full os x experienece. The MacBook air on the other hand has it all great portability and the full os x experience I still personally don't see how people can say out with the computer in with the iPad? The iPad does a lot dont get me wrong but can you really replace your computer with a iPad I would love to say yes but I just can't see it?

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Daniel 1 said:
but can you really replace your computer with a iPad I would love to say yes but I just can't see it?

That's exaxtly my point. It isn't supposed to replace it but it has perhaps demonstrated to me that in reality I don't need a computer.

I suppose a fair comparison would be a point and press digital camera vs a high end digital SLR. I have the point and press as it does everything I want without having the full photography "experience"

A

Anonymous

So in other words you dont need a computer, Your content with a iPad, Fair enough. But still a iPad has got along way to go before it can replace a actual computer that's my point.

Daniel 1 said:
So in other words you dont need a computer, Your content with a iPad, Fair enough. But still a iPad has got along way to go before it can replace a actual computer that's my point.

The thing is, iPad isn't meant to replace your computer at all. It'll be ultrabooks / MacBook Air for that. Apple will not destroy its own product line of macbooks by making the iPad powerful & useful enough.

TRENDING THREADS