internet TV vs a TV without wi fi

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I tended to use cables direct from router to PC and to TV ( not wi fi ) Is there any speed difference wi fi direct to a TV and one where the TV or PC uses a direct cable ? what does the forum think MT current internet tv is a TCL 2022 model The PC is a old converted windows 10 with 8 gb memory

abacus

For internet content there will be no difference as this will be limited by your internet speed, and even the Wi-Fi on the most basic routers will be miles faster than 70Mbs. (Unless your router and equipment are a long way from each other)
Most TVs and Cinema equipment have a 100Mbs (As do older computers) wired network connections rather than 1Gbs of most modern computers, (Although 2.5Gbs is now starting to become the norm) so unless you have a NAS (Or equipment that can make use of 1Gbs) Wi-Fi will be fine.

Bill

abacus

For security purpose i suspect cable is the safer method as wi fi can be interrupted easier by nasty people

Yes and no, the Wi-Fi signal is encrypted so they would need to access the router or connected equipment, this can be done but unless they are nearby it is unlikely, if they do access your router via the internet (How virtually all the hacks are done) then both the Wi-Fi and cable are compromised, so I wouldn't worry about it. (While security should be taken seriously it can be taken too far and you become paranoid)

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Obviously much less data involved, but I've often seen that comment with regard to audio streamers.
I've always used wi-fi to a streamer.
For me at least, a cable couldn't do anything better than the wi-fi does.

Apart from be an install and forget, rock solid connection.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure it is.
Believe me, I'm all for wires, with headphones, with anything.
There's too much RF flying about in this world.

It's just that others would have you believe that wi-fi streaming is guaranteed trouble - when, for many it never has been.
It is guaranteed trouble.
Sometime, somewhere, along the way WiFi will give you problems.
Barring a rat chewing through it, a wired connection will not.

Ergo wired is always better than WiFi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts