Internal wiring of speakers

camcroft

Everybody wants to buy the best speaker cable but internally what quality of wiring do manufacurers use or do they just rely on the crossover.If you re- wired your speakers inside with top quality cable would it make a difference, is it quality outside and cr-p inside

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Done a bit of research recently mate, and it's not going to make a bit of difference.

Without exception speaker manufacturers use low resistand/low capacitance cable, and the length of the runs is so short it would be impossible for them to have any effect on the sound at all.

A mate who briefly had a speaker manufacturing business started putting in flashier looking cable, not because it made a difference but because some reviewers like opening the box and seeing what they think are proper hifi cables.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I replaced the diaphragm on one of my (compression) tweeters I noticed that the voice coil was made up of about 50cms of hair thin wire. This explains why the speakers are rated at 50 watts continous. Any more than that and they'd burn out like a filament light-bulb. They also have another 1.5 metres of rather thin wire between the terminals and the crossover and the crossover and the drive units. They sound fine. I won't be upgrading the internal wiring. But if it makes you happy, by all means replace the internal wiring of your speakers and amps. It won't cost you much - assuming you can get inside the cabinets without damaging anything.

Oh, and I don't want to buy the best speaker cable. I'm happy with the freebie / low cost stuff I've already got. My favourite speakers have crappy terminals that can't take thick cables anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts