Interesting site comparing digital radio bitrates in the UK.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering how good Radio 2 is on my Humax FoxsatHD Freesat box compared with FM and came across this site http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/uk-digital-radio-bitrates/?fdx_switcher=true which seems to answer my question that the sound quality is as good as FM. I guess most people here are aware of this site but it does make interesting reading. DAB does not look good but BBC iPlayer radio is 320kbps I knew BBC internet radio was good but I did not know it was that good, although listeners abroad get a reduced bit rate with BBC internet radio. I,m surprised how much the bit rate varies with different stations and method of delivery (especially the commercial ones).http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/uk-digital-radio-bitrates/?fdx_switcher=true

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
George said:
I,m surprised how much the bit rate varies with different stations and method of delivery (especially the commercial ones)

You don't need high quality broadcasting for advertising content interspersed with occasional 'drivetime'/housewife/sponsor-friendly 'Gold 500' style pap.

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
George said:
I,m surprised how much the bit rate varies with different stations and method of delivery (especially the commercial ones)

You don't need high quality broadcasting for advertising content interspersed with occasional 'drivetime'/housewife/sponsor-friendly 'Gold 500' style pap.

I would have expected Planet Rock to have a higher bit rate, it sounds pretty good on Freesat to me.

Gray

I've always thought the audio was a strong point on my Foxsat too George. I use it in 'Non - Freesat Mode' to listen to Solar Radio, which, on satellite, is otherwise only on Sky.

That list is another poor advert for DAB.

Jazz FM, for example - they're always telling you why you should buy a DAB - but not that you'll get all of 32 kbps if you listen to them on it! (128 kbps on satellite) Bit ironic that Jazz FM is no longer on FM.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have used my Humax to set-up timered series recordings of Freeview radio programmes pending their availability on BBC CD.

I have hundreds of BBC CDs and Boxsets but it can take a while for them to appear in the bookshop, or Amazon. (Link shows all BBC CDs by publication date.)

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
It's also ironic that even the BBC who are usually very good at delivering excellent sound quality are pushing DAB and even give DAB radios as prizes on Popmaster.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Your average consumer doesn't care about sound quality or bitrates, they're interested in DAB and internet radio only because there's more channels.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
It's the story of the world today. Quantity trumps quality (for the majority of people) every time.

It's always been the case. People bought into vinyl as much for the convenience factor as because it sounded better than shellac. It took decades for VHF-FM to usurp AM despite the obvious sonic benefits. Now and again you get a blip, such as CD, where even the cheapest naffest players sounded a billion times better than most people's domestic record players, so it was win all round. But really CDs only took off massively because their convenience factor appealed to the masses.

What seems to be different these days is when a new audio technolgy comes along it doesn't necessarily sound better, like vinyl, VHF radio and CDs did, it's all about convenience first. It started really with cassette tapes, which sounded poor compared to open reel, but by about 1980 open reel recorders in a home environment were pretty much dead. DAB in this country sounds worse than FM. MP3s are worse than CDs, but are more convenient.

People seem far more receptive to the qualitative benefits of new video formats however, and have lapped up DVDs and BD as a replacement for VHS as much for the improved PQ as for the convenience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts