Interesting conversation with Panasonic

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Decided to call Panasonic today and after a brief chat with the representative, he advised me to never use my Panasonic for more than 2 hours when gaming. That is 2 hours per week!

I thought screen burn/picture retention was a thing of the past with the new panels, but today Panasonic has advised me that it's not the case and the problem is still as relevant today as it was when plasmas first hit the market!

Personally, I have everything hooked up to this screen, from my AV system, to my games consoles, to my PC. I have used it heavily for games since January when I purchased it. I have never noticed screen burn etc on my screen.

Can't deny this has me concerned.

Just wanted to put that out to the community and see what you guys think.

Thanks

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That I may be inadvertantly damaging the screen with prolonged use. It's because it came from the manufacturer that had me worried, but surely if that was the case I would have noticed screen burn by now? After all, it doesn't simply creep up on you :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
That I may be inadvertantly damaging the screen with prolonged use. It's because it came from the manufacturer that had me worried, but surely if that was the case I would have noticed screen burn by now? After all, it doesn't simply creep up on you :)

If you've been using it for gaming for far longer than 2 hours a week for 4 months without any signs of screen burn then I'd hazard a guess you don't have too much to worry about. Panasonic may just be setting a ridiculously low threshold so they can use it as a reason not help if/when people do get screen burn.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like the panasonic guy is just covering his back-side to be honest Duaplex (i.e. if they tell you to limit gaming to 2 hours per week, and you later admit to using it for longer than that, they can try and waive any liability on the "we told you so" basis). If you've already used for gaming for long periods and had no issues then you should be fine unless you suddenly decide to ramp up your Brightness and Contrast settings to maximum.

I'd also question his assertion that IR is just as big a problem today as it was when plamsa first came out - anti-IR steaps implemented by manufacturers (pixel rotation, auto-screen dimming etc) mean its not an issue on most modern panels - judging by other threads on this forum it just seems to be Panasonic who continue to have issues with certain models!

D

Deleted member 2457

I worked this out with the GT50 a long time ago.
smiley-smile.gif

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Every other week i play GT5 for about 4-5hrs continuous....don't get any screen burn but a fair bit of ir where lists have been,usualy takes 10mins to get rid of.(also dont use the game mode)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If you really want to see hours of your life fly past try any of the Mass Effect games - 10 hours will go by before you even know it (And never once had any IR problems with the Kuro, they built them properly in those days!)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of which I just played through Mass Effect 3 again but this time on the Wii U :)

I suspected the same with the Panasonic guy, he most likely wants to cover the company against any future claim that may come of this. Also to add, I use my TV as my PC monitor, in fact I am typing this message on it right now. If anything was going to cause screen burn then it would have been the PC.

Boss - I dont see anything in the manual to suggest this. Furthermore, why encourage people by including a Game mode setting under picture settings?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Response from the customer service team at Panasonic:

Please see the page below from our manual for the TX-P65VT50:

We don't state a time frame as there isn't one, each situation is different but to confirm, our plasma's do not screen burn unless they are abused e.g. still images left for extremely long periods of time.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
As a family (me mostly,lol) we used the older TV the Panasonic TH42PX70 (a Great TV) for years for gaming and never even got image retention.

Only got screen burn when I inadvertently fell asleep on the couch one Friday night with the search news/sports page open on the Virgin Media page which left its mark....mostly top+middle of the left hand side of the screen :cry:

Got my new Sammy after this though :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts