Interesting afternoon in the demroom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
drummerman said:
I have recently acquired and refurbished a couple of vintage turntables and have to say that so far, I have been completely taken in by the format and its idiosyncracies.

Not for ultimate fidelity perhaps though I very much like listen to them but for the involvement as somebody else has mentioned. There is a charm about using them, I now find myself seeking out good pressings of my favorite artists something I would have not considered even a short while ago.

The format is flawed, in many ways but oddly, it almost feels I'm one step closer to the performer than with digital playback. Deeply irrational of course. Another good thing about a record is that I tend to listen from beginning to end without skipping tracks I may otherwise would.

It will happily live next to digital playback for the forseeable future and I am glad the format is experiencing a new lease of life.

regards

You mean you are too lazy to get up and change it.

You got it

regards

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Rick,

i'm happy with used and did consider the CD-17Mk2 KI, but I know that they sometimes have tray loading problems, and I'd rather not replace one Marantz with a loading fault with another that will probably suffer a similar fate sooner rather than later.

The Naim CD5si is certainly worthy of consideration, though I wonder if a used Naim might be worthy of consideration (there was a mint CD5XS went for the price of a 5Si a few mins ago, or perhaps just a 5i as they come in comfortably less than half that)

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
FWIW, Arcam CD players are lovely, even their most affordable CD17 - probably the one I would go for if I was buying a CD player again now (I've had a CD17 in the past and have often regretted selling it).

Matt, IYO, how does the CD17 compare to the Roksan K2?

Hard to say as I've not had them side by side but I don't think there is much in it to be honest. The Roksan is possibly a bit cleaner sounding but loses some of the liquidity of the Arcam (if that makes any sense).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
It will happily live next to digital playback for the forseeable future and I am glad the format is experiencing a new lease of life.

Absolutely. I'd love to go back to vinyl, alongside my digital kit. Sadly most of my LPs are horribly scratched and dirty after years of drug- and alcohol-fuelled abuse as a student. My first system, when I was a nipper, was: Pioneer PL512 > NAD 3020 > AR18s. Those were the days ... :cry:

Gyp said:
Cheers Rick,

i'm happy with used and did consider the CD-17Mk2 KI, but I know that they sometimes have tray loading problems, and I'd rather not replace one Marantz with a loading fault with another that will probably suffer a similar fate sooner rather than later.

The Naim CD5si is certainly worthy of consideration, though I wonder if a used Naim might be worthy of consideration (there was a mint CD5XS went for the price of a 5Si a few mins ago, or perhaps just a 5i as they come in comfortably less than half that)

Hi Gyp

Your welcome.

Fwiw, I have yet to come across tray loading issues with any of the four 17 KI Signature Series CD players. Fair enough though.

Anyway, given Naim's excellent component support then a used Naim CD player is also worth consideration (although please try and audition first). I just want to be clear in that Musicraft does not deal with used components.

Btw, your Rotel Michi RHA-10/RHB-10 amplification is excellent. Imo, their Michi Series is still Rotel's best overall range to date.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
drummerman said:

Absolutely. I'd love to go back to vinyl, alongside my digital kit. Sadly most of my LPs are horribly scratched and dirty after years of drug- and alcohol-fuelled abuse as a student. My first system, when I was a nipper, was: Pioneer PL512 > NAD 3020 > AR18s. Those were the days ... :cry:

I find a brillo pad works quite well ... but you have to work against the grain.

regards

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Since yesterday I've got a Rega DAC in the rack (on dem) and so far I'm quite impressed.

It does feel somewhat odd that after years of keeping the signal path as simple as possible, I'm now getting the music to the amp from a NAS, across my mains wiring and a couple of ethernet hubs to a router that transmits it wirelessly to my Raspberry Pi which then pushes it into a DAC, but it sounds pretty darned good.

The Rega might get a fair amount of stick with respect to its synchronous-only USB input but there's no problem with my rpi and flac encoded CDs.

I'll have to experiment with other formats later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts