Interested in nas based hifi but not sure of best way forward

Jrs123tennis

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I currently use rega Apollo and rega dac, looking at getting a nas and maybe a streamer as well. However confused on best way forward.

1. Can I plug a Vortexbox prestige/liv zen straight into rega dac via spdif? Everyone seems to say do not use the USB input. If not how? I use chord cables throughout at the moment.

2. Why do I need a streamer? If so what would be recommended?

3. How do u download hi res from internet to nas?

4. How do u recommend backups being handled.

i have iMac for computer but really want to keep hifi as simple as possible.

my system as it stands is the above rega, Nottingham Spacedeck/SME 309/ sumiko bp se and graham slee 2 se. Speakers are Sonus Faber auditors.

i have no amp, listening via stax headphones at the moment but have started to look for a new amp as well. like the idea of naim but really find it a bit muffled and expensive so looking at sugden a21se or valve based options (develiat to expensive).

Help appreciated

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm very satisfied indeed with my Synology NAS drive. To try to respond directly to your questions:

1. Can I plug a Vortexbox prestige/liv zen straight into rega dac via spdif? Everyone seems to say do not use the USB input. If not how? I use chord cables throughout at the moment. No idea about this I'm afraid.

2. Why do I need a streamer? If so what would be recommended? The Synology NAS drive has its own streamer - the Audio Station - with apps for android and iThingies. Can be plugged directly into your DAC and can do HI-RES. Sound great too - much better than my Sonos streamer.

3. How do u download hi res from internet to nas? I do this through iTunes. It shows up directly on AudioStation.

4. How do u recommend backups being handled. I've been told not to consider RAID (the system of having two hard drives on a NAS drive, one acting as a 'mirror' of the other) as a backup as if one goes, the other is likely to go too. I have an external HD attached to the NAS for back up duties.

Jrs123tennis

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thx for such a quick response. I am stuck between going down the naim route (I.e. Supernait 2/202/200 Dac v1 /nds5, unitiserve) v bespoke option (liv/Vortexbox + streamer) + sugden amp/valve amp.

Regarding backup, can u just plug in a hdd to nas and it will do backup!?

thx

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Jrs123tennis said:
Thx for such a quick response. I am stuck between going down the naim route (I.e. Supernait 2/202/200 Dac v1 /nds5, unitiserve) v bespoke option (liv/Vortexbox + streamer) + sugden amp/valve amp.

Regarding backup, can u just plug in a hdd to nas and it will do backup!?

thx

I'm not sure how much expensive streamers really add above the AudioStation tbh - there seem to be differing opinions. Regarding backup, all you have to do is 'schedule' the backup in settings and plug in your HDD. Very easy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ngibbs said:
4. How do u recommend backups being handled. I've been told not to consider RAID (the system of having two hard drives on a NAS drive, one acting as a 'mirror' of the other) as a backup as if one goes, the other is likely to go too. I have an external HD attached to the NAS for back up duties.

WHAT? No, no, no, no, NO!!! That is NOT what you were told! The whole point of RAID is that if one drive fails the other one carries on, there is NO relationship between the drives in terms of likelihood of failure, the chances of both drives failing is vanishingly small, the circumstances that were mentioned involve power surges and I would maintain that in that case it's likely to be the NAS itself that blows, not the drives.

Now, RAID is NOT a backup, that's true but it does reduce the likelihood you will need your backup (although you should have a backup, of course).

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ngibbs said:

WHAT? No, no, no, no, NO!!! That is NOT what you were told! The whole point of RAID is that if one drive fails the other one carries on, there is NO relationship between the drives in terms of likelihood of failure, the chances of both drives failing is vanishingly small, the circumstances that were mentioned involve power surges and I would maintain that in that case it's likely to be the NAS itself that blows, not the drives.

Now, RAID is NOT a backup, that's true but it does reduce the likelihood you will need your backup (although you should have a backup, of course).

Thank you for your informative, though presumptuous, reply but that WAS what I was told - rightly or wrong. I'm glad it's not the case.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Regardless what system you buy, or decide to keep the actual one adding a NAS is always a plus!

That way you can store all your data, pics, music, personal documents, movies etc and consulting them when away from home, is like having your personal cloud, for that Synology provide apps that you need to instal.

A NAS is essential if you option to go through the streaming route, you can use your Rega DAC ( I do) as part of the streaming solution, connecting the NAS and Rega DAC through a USB cable and control the music with the DS audio app installed in your ithing ( android or ios)

If in a future you decide to change streaming solution you will always keep the NAS!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ngibbs said:
The_Lhc said:
ngibbs said:

Thank you for your informative, though presumptuous, reply but that WAS what I was told - rightly or wrong. I'm glad it's not the case.

No, I was part of that thread and that is NOT what was said, what was said is that it IS possible for both drives to fail, for example, in cases of power surges (but NOT power failures, I've had numerous power cuts and never had an issue with the drives in my NAS because of it) but that's a LONG way from saying that one drive failing will make the other one fail. In normal operation the chances of both drives failing is VERY small.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For class A amps, i've demo a Unison Research Unico Primo and Pathos Classic One at home and kept the Pathos but was purely based on the deal got a ex demo for a very nice price.

If I had to pay full price for bouth I would bought the Unison as it had the possibility to come with a built in phono stage.

Never got the possibility to demo a Sudgen as Portugal does not have a dealer of the brand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts