Interconnects

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have a number of interconnects as follows, and I was wondering where you would put each of them within my system.

1) CD to amp

2) DVD to amp

3) Tuner to amp

4) Amp to power amp

Choices areL

Furukawa 1010 (20 years old)

Ixos (10 years old)

Van Den Hul D102 III

CrystalCable Piccolo

Would also be interested in your views on whether interconnects have improved significantly over the last few years.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi JoelSim,

I would recommend that you put the best performing interconnects between the components that matter the most to you. It is also important to use one of your better interconnects between your amplifier and power amp. So in order of importance of CD, DVD then Tuner I would put them in this order:

1) CD to amp - Crystal Cable Piccolo

2) DVD to amp - Ixos

3) Tuner to amp - Furukawa 1010

4) Amp to power amp - Van Den Hul D102 III

You might want to try this first and see how it performs; but it would also be worthwhile to try different combinations to see what you prefer (e.g., you might find in the context of your system and your listening preferences that you prefer the D102 on the CD and the Piccolo on the amp-to-power).

With regards to your other question, there is no doubt that cable design and technology has improved considerably over the last 10-20 years (and even in the last few years!) so you may find that an entry-level interconnect will outperform your Ixos and Furukawa interconnects quite significantly. As always it is best to try and see for yourself - look for a good dealer that will loan or has a return policy if buying. If buying online many manufacturers like ourselves or other cable retailers have money back guarantees or return policies so you can try without risk.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I have a number of interconnects as follows, and I was wondering where you would put each of them within my system.

1) CD to amp

2) DVD to amp

3) Tuner to amp

4) Amp to power amp

Choices areL

Ixos (10 years old)

Van Den Hul D102 III

CrystalCable Piccolo

Would also be interested in your views on whether interconnects have improved significantly over the last few years.

What no Gothams !!!

A

Anonymous

MENISCUS:JoelSim:

1) CD to amp

2) DVD to amp

3) Tuner to amp

4) Amp to power amp

Choices areL

Ixos (10 years old)

Van Den Hul D102 III

CrystalCable Piccolo

What no Gothams !!!

You beat me to it........................................

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
clearer_audio:Hi JoelSim,I would recommend that you put the best performing interconnects between the components that matter the most to you. It is also important to use one of your better interconnects between your amplifier and power amp. So in order of importance of CD, DVD then Tuner I would put them in this order:1) CD to amp - Crystal Cable Piccolo2) DVD to amp - Ixos3) Tuner to amp - Furukawa 10104) Amp to power amp - Van Den Hul D102 IIIYou might want to try this first and see how it performs; but it would also be worthwhile to try different combinations to see what you prefer (e.g., you might find in the context of your system and your listening preferences that you prefer the D102 on the CD and the Piccolo on the amp-to-power).With regards to your other question, there is no doubt that cable design and technology has improved considerably over the last 10-20 years (and even in the last few years!) so you may find that an entry-level interconnect will outperform your Ixos and Furukawa interconnects quite significantly. As always it is best to try and see for yourself - look for a good dealer that will loan or has a return policy if buying. If buying online many manufacturers like ourselves or other cable retailers have money back guarantees or return policies so you can try without risk.Hope this helps.Kind regards,Darren

Thanks for this Darren, it was kind of what I wanted to hear. The missus is out tomorrow, so I'm going to have a play on the CD and between the amps with the Piccolo and vdH and see what I prefer.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
raym87:MENISCUS:JoelSim:

1) CD to amp

2) DVD to amp

3) Tuner to amp

4) Amp to power amp

Choices areL

Ixos (10 years old)

Van Den Hul D102 III

CrystalCable Piccolo

ÿ

ÿ

What no Gothams !!!

You beat me to it........................................

Funnily enough...

ÿ

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Thanks for this Darren, it was kind of what I wanted to hear. The missus is out tomorrow, so I'm going to have a play on the CD and between the amps with the Piccolo and vdH and see what I prefer.

No problem JoelSim - my pleasure. Hope your testing goes well!

All the best,
Darren

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have swapped the tuner IC with the amp IC so I now have:

CD to A85 - vdH

Tuner to A85 - Furukawa

DVD to A85 - Ixos

A85 to P85 - Crystal Cable

The 0.5m Crystal Cable won't stretch to my CD and I can't be ars*d to move them around.

The sound has definitely got more clarity and punch. Impressed. Mind you I haven't listened to the tuner yet but I don't suppose it will make much odds as I don't get 100% reception anyway.

The moral of the story is, ICs do make a difference.

ÿ

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Whats your opinion on the VDH 102 - i have the VDH name interconnect between CD and Amp which is very good but i still am considering an upgrade to c£100 interconnect.

A

Anonymous

I've been through a few VDH's. I started with The Name, then The Bay (even this was a big step up), then The Integration which I now have and I think going any further is too much for my system. I love VDH cables for their qualities, and you really do get genuine improvements with cost.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:I've been through a few VDH's. I started with The Name, then The Bay (even this was a big step up), then The Integration which I now have and I think going any further is too much for my system. I love VDH cables for their qualities, and you really do get genuine improvements with cost.

I agree, very good cables. Joel, are you not tempted in splashing out a bit on some new ones now?

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
I have swapped the tuner IC with the amp IC so I now have:

CD to A85 - vdH

Tuner to A85 - Furukawa

DVD to A85 - Ixos

A85 to P85 - Crystal Cable

The 0.5m Crystal Cable won't stretch to my CD and I can't be ars*d to move them around.

The sound has definitely got more clarity and punch. Impressed. Mind you I haven't listened to the tuner yet but I don't suppose it will make much odds as I don't get 100% reception anyway.

The moral of the story is, ICs do make a difference.

ÿ

Pleased to hear that your testing has gone well and your system is sounding better. If you have a variety of different interconnects in a system then placement can affect the overall performance significantly (as you have shown); and it usually does not take long to gain some improvements!

All the best,
Darren

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I love the vdH, and the Piccolo now. Only use the tuner on weekend mornings over breakfast...

Mind you I have been watching some Nordost Red Dawn on fleabay recently, but then I will have to get behind the rack again which is a right PITAr*e.

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i started with mrlin chopin cables which i thought were very good around £50 i think when i bought them - cheaper online now - then went to Chord Chameleon which i prefer - also have a stereovox digital cable between my cdp and dac which looks thin but sounds fantastic - would def recommend - keep thinking of getting anothe for my squeezbox but nearly the same price

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:Whats your opinion on the VDH 102 - i have the VDH name interconnect between CD and Amp which is very good but i still am considering an upgrade to c£100 interconnect.

Your system desrves it. I have been a cable fan for 20 years (that's how long I've had my Furukawa nearly).

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:i started with mrlin chopin cables which i thought were very good around £50 i think when i bought them - cheaper online now - then went to Chord Chameleon which i prefer - also have a stereovox digital cable between my cdp and dac which looks thin but sounds fantastic - would def recommend - keep thinking of getting anothe for my squeezbox but nearly the same price

Thin? You want to see the Crystal Cable Piccolo. It was a free gift with a sub to HFN and I laughed out loud when I opened the 'Rolex' box and saw how pathetic (yet how hi-end) it looked. I works though.

HFC are offering a free Nordost low end this month, so I may cancel my sub, and take another out in my missus' name

ÿ

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have only had 2 interconnects to compare really VDH 'Name' and Chord Cobra 3 - the 'Name' i felt added a tad more sparkle and detail to my system so that one is used. The Cobra is in the bedroom system.

There are a load of VDH though to choose from - i may select either the D102 or Integration - although there is new one called Wave. Its not easy to tell which is the better choice.

A

Anonymous

I've always found Chord and VDH IC's quite similar compared to the competition. I like them both. I really recommend the Integration it's a huge step up from the name, though there are some great deals to be had on the d102 I hear.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:is that a magazine only offer or is it online - if not can you upload the number and free gift code? Not sure but it's in the mag

ÿ

A

Anonymous

When it comes to my experience of cables I can say that the Chord Chameleon is very good for the cash. The Nordost Baldur made what you could describe as the next step worth taking but it's more than twice the price. The Nordost Blue Heaven seemed to be very good but sounded a bit glassy and brittle in any system I tried; it wasn't quite complete somehow. I think the Red Dawn might be a better balance but I've never tried it.

Without sounding controversial, good hifi without good cables is like drinking vintage wine from used pint glass.ever

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I love the vdH, and the Piccolo now. Only use the tuner on weekend mornings over breakfast...

Mind you I have been watching some Nordost Red Dawn on fleabay recently, but then I will have to get behind the rack again which is a right PITAr*e.

ÿ

Joel, you have the same cables as i do (vdh and Crystal) - though i only need one at the moment. testing the two back to back i found very little difference between them. i think the Crystal is probably my favourite as it seems to present the mids more naturally. im certainly very pleased with both as together they only cost my 80 quid!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts