INTERCONNECTS + SMALL ROOM ISSUES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Need some help on a couple of things. First one is I want to upgrade my cambridge audio azur 340a amp but I dont know what to upgrade to. I have a budget of about £500, and my other kit is an arcam diva cd72 cd player and wharfedale diamond 8.2 speakers. Now I know that it's down to individual ears when it comes down to it but can anyone narrow the field for me??

Saying that, I am looking to upgrade at least the speakers also in the new year which leads me on to the next problem........ I have just moved house in to a very small cottage. The living room is very small (I dont have the exact dimensions on me) and due to lack of space and abundance of furniture, I may have to wall mount the speakers. Is this a complete no, no? If not, who makes a decent wall mounted stand?

Finally, last but not least I need to upgrade my interconnects. I want to spend about £100. Can anyone suggest anything good in this price range?

Any help would be gratefully received!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Personally, i'd always spend as much on a single upgrade, instead of small upgrades to a couple of things. Many say loudspeakers make the most difference, then amps, then source. I think Avi do great monitor bookshelf speakers, i heard the pro nines a few years ago and they were so much fun, lively, and can be put near the wall.

A

Anonymous

Oh, and i'd advise leaving the purchase of interconnects until you've upgraded, then you can chose interconnects that complement your system. Personally i like Nordost (always makes things more alive) and Atlas (balanced and neutral).

A

Anonymous

is your budget of £500 for the amp alone or is it for amp and interconnect? i will assume its £500 for both.

the nad c352 is a belting amp and retails for about £375, Rotel RA05 is £350 and cambridge azur 640a is £300. i have an azur 640 and it goes very nicely with my Arcam cd player.

As for interconnects. choices, choices. e bay is a great place to look for cables. second hand cables are already burned in and if they have been reasonably well looked after are just as good as buying a new one, unlike electronics.

nordost blue heaven is a cracker, as is the solar wind,qed silver spiral is good but can sound a touch grainy i think compared to the nordost.Its still v good though.Its cheaper of course. Van den hul hybrid integration is a belter too with typical van den hul neutrality and will fit into virtually any system. Another goodie is the van den hul DB102 hybrid mark III. It is on a par with silver spiral but has a smoother more neutral sound without a touch of grain. It is versatile and not expensive at about £80 new.

If you can get a second hand one it would be blue heaven or integration for me. they are definitely superior to the others , but retail new at about £125.

When you get to the speakers, the b&w 686's are quite dinky in size but not in sound. Very good speakers indeed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Go second hand and get yourself an Arcam A85/P85 combo, you won't regret it. However, that would mean you couldn't use AVI speakers if you wanted to biwire. The AVI Neutron IV is a cracking little speaker, but there are many others about too. Are you sure you don't have room for some mini monitors on slim stands? Or even some thin floorstanders like the Monitor Audio Radius line?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]Many say loudspeakers make the most difference, then amps, then source. [/quote]

I didn't know I am one of the many!?? All I heard is rubbish in rubbish out er... rubbish

A

Anonymous

Decades ago people used to say the source was the most important, then i remember people saying rubbish in, rubbish out (mainly salesmen), then I've read magazines saying that you should spend equal amounts on source/amp/speakers plus ~10% on cabling, but more recently I've read in a magazine (can't remember which one) that speakers have the most effect, then amps, then source. I thought about it, and I think I agree with the last one. From what I remember, changing speakers is almost always a day and night change, amps can be, and sources are most subtly different.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think if you buy a pair of speakers that suited to your room then you are half way there! When that's done, find an amp that have enough power to drive the speakers properly and lastly fine tune the system to your taste with CD player.....not as easy as it seem but it is the best way to spend your budget imo.

A

Anonymous

I agree, that's a good suggestion

As long as you don't move house! Yep, every time i've moved house i've ended up upgrading again, damn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts