Interconnects - Chord Cobra vs. Atlas The Navigator ???

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hiya all,

If you have to choose between Atlas The Navigator RCA and The Chord Company`s Cobra interconnect , which one would you go for . Let say that The Navigator is down to the same price as the Cobra.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/atlas-the-navigator

http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-company-cobraplus

Has anyone had experience with those leads ? How good do you find them ?Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Unanswerable question im afraid. There is no such thing as having 2 similar priced interconnects where one is "better" than the other. It depends on what hifi system you have and of course the old chestnut of personal preference. Try and buy both from your local hifi dealer and try them for yourself for a week or 2 until you decide which one YOU like. Then return the other one for a refund, as long as the dealer agrees to this. Most good dealers should agree to this. Good luck!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:
Hiya all, If you have to choose between Atlas The Navigator RCA and The Chord Company`s Cobra interconnect , which one would you go for . Let say that The Navigator is down to the same price as the Cobra. http://www.whathifi.com/review/atlas-the-navigator http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-company-cobraplus Has anyone had experience with those leads ? How good do you find them ?Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thank you

You're actually comparing a £70 cable to a £180 cable. So I would hope the more expensive one actually sounds better.
But, you'll have to hear them in your system. The What Hifi reviewers said the Navigator is very analytical, which is great when you really like to explore what you're listening to, but I like it more to be sucked in into the music and just enjoy it as a whole.
And I have a CobraPlus in my system (connects the DacMagic to my amp, when I'm not using the cdplayer's dac) and it's a nicey detailed cable with a tight and controlled low end. Great value for money imo.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Kevin J,
Yes ,comparing 180 to 70 £-one, I`d thought the expensive one would sound better . Unfortunately auditioning is not possible ( being abroad and having to buy from the UK ). What worries me a bit is the analytical labeled Navigator connecting very lively Leema Pulse with " a bit on the brighter side" Mezzo 6`s ... That is why I am hoping someone who uses such a lead to respond to my query . I can see that you`re using the cobra with very good pieces of kit. The Marantz should be packed with detail and if you say that the Cobra is a good link between the amp and the dac - this sounds very promising to me. I`ll be using the interconnect between the analog outs of my Dennon blu-ray ( 24 /192 Dac ) and the amp - for now . But, still I can`t help but leaning towards the expensive-one...

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks spr1ggsy,

Trying out both- not possible I am affraid . The system is Denon BluRay as a transport , Leema Pulse Amp, Mezzo 6 speakers.

Buy the way original price of The Navigator almost 3 times higher than the Cobra ...

Cheers

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Could you say what components you have in your system?
Buying an £180 cable would be useless if the electronics don't match the quality.

I believe the CobraPlus is great when connected to the DacMagic or in a less than £800/component system. It transports everything the DacMagic decodes.
When I connected it between my cdplayer and amp, there was a big loss in detail and soundstage compared to the Chord Cadenza (also £180 per meter). Bass was less controlled too.

It all has to work together to get the best out of your system.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I mentioned that will be using it between the DAC of my Denon BluRay Player ( using the dedcated 2ch stereo outputs ) and a Leema Pulse Amp . Later I`ll probably add a CD player, but that will be in a year or later on. The speakers are M.Short Mezzo 6. Hope that info helps ...

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I mentioned that will be using it between the DAC of my Denon BluRay Player ( using the dedcated 2ch stereo outputs ) and a Leema Pulse Amp . Later I`ll probably add a CD player, but that will be in a year or later on. The speakers are M.Short Mezzo 6. Hope that info helps ...

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heared the Leema, so I can't say for sure if it's going to work.
I think the CobraPlus is a safe bet, but then you'll never know if the Navigator is better or not.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Damn right , mate ... Or another option is to go for a second hand Chord Chameleon Plus. The reviews are very possitive and a second hand one on E-bay is about the price of a new Cobra. That might be an option too....

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Damn right , mate ... Or another option is to go for a second hand Chord Chameleon Plus. The reviews are very possitive and a second hand one on E-bay is about the price of a new Cobra. That might be an option too....

T

the record spot

kevinJ said:
You're actually comparing a £70 cable to a £180 cable. So I would hope the more expensive one actually sounds better.

I have the Navigators and they're barely different from the £30 QED Qunex, the £7 Computergear AVs or the £5 Fisual coax I also use. You pays your money...I spent £80 on mine, but would probably be seriously naffed off if I'd spent the £200-odd they once were.

A

Anonymous

My Navigator XLR interconnects are sitting in the drawer. I could not hear anything special out of them when used between Marantz SA11 CD and various amps. Paid around 100 used. I use Cardas GR at the moment, to my ears significantly better.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, guys for all your opinions . They are highlu appreciated...

As I said , auditioning or comparing to sets before purchase it is not possible, so the more of your thoughts on that matter- the better idea for me before buying the lead...Thanks again

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
zelkop said:
My Navigator XLR interconnects are sitting in the drawer. I could not hear anything special out of them when used between Marantz SA11 CD and various amps. Paid around 100 used. I use Cardas GR at the moment, to my ears significantly better.

Cardas GR are brilliant I/Cs, but are in a completely different league to the Navigator....so it's not a fair comparison. You would really have to go to the Mavros.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes ,Indeed...Cardas GR - around $ 1000 :) And if The Navigator is not that special in your opinions, how about the Chord Chameleon Plus ? Any feedback on that one ???

T

the record spot

Atanas Rangelov said:
Thank you, guys for all your opinions . They are highlu appreciated...

As I said , auditioning or comparing to sets before purchase it is not possible, so the more of your thoughts on that matter- the better idea for me before buying the lead...Thanks again

With that in mind, I would be very careful to check that you can try on a "sale or return" basis. Buying blind with something like this is not good if you've no fallback option. This could be an expensive mistake, bearing my (and others) experiences in mind, along with those who think this kind of thing is (as is so often quoted) "night and day".

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the Linn Black I/Cs that can usually be got from ebay for £15-20. The next level up, I like the Linn Silver I/Cs (ebay £120-150). Above that, it would be Telurium Q Black I/C.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I really appreciate your concerns...However,being abroad is not that easy to do it that way. If I were still in the UK - fair enough. But you got me thinking to make an offer of buying 2 different pairs of interconnects with the option to return one of them for refund within couple of weeks. Of course the shipping back to UK - on my account.That`s a good idea ....

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Cheers CnoEvil,

I did have a look...There is no Silver on Ebay at the mo.The Black is £ 35-50 for a new one. The Chord Chrmson Plus and also a 0,5 m Cobra are at the same price now ... Do you think the Linn Black is better option ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Atanas Rangelov said:
Cheers CnoEvil,

I did have a look...There is no Silver on Ebay at the mo.The Black is £ 35-50 for a new one. The Chord Chrmson Plus and also a 0,5 m Cobra are at the same price now ... Do you think the Linn Black is better option ?

There is nothing "spectacular" about the Linn presentation...no exaggerated bass or forward treble...just a musical sound.

The Blacks are a "no nonsense" i/c, but I wouldn't pay more than £15-£18 for them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-BLACK-STEREO-INTERCONNECTS-RCA-PHONO-CABLE-1-2M-/230729086010?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item35b886743a#ht_500wt_1287

You are right about the Linn Silvers,; though there were some at the time of posting (had reached £130 on the bidding). These are a good step up and give more of everything, while keeping a similar presentation....don't pay more than £130 though (preferably less).

It's very hard to give advice on I/Cs, as everyone wants something different (or can't differentiate between them anyway).

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes,that is the one I am following on e-bay at the mo. To be fair I`d like to spend up to £ 50 - 60. No more really. In that price range are the Cord Crimson and Cobra , the QED - Performance Audio 2 , Some of the Atlas leads , The Merlin Mozart ect. Or If lucky, I could get of the E-bay an used Chord Cameleon Plus or something else that was around £ 100 when new... Difficult choise. Probably will speak to the dealers and ask if possible to pay for 2-3 leads with the option to keep one and return the others. Hope they agree ...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My preference is always to avoid anything that is silver coated. So I prefer the likes of Linn/Atlas/Merlin.

Some time back, I bought an Atlas Navigator from ebay, but sold it on as I preferred my existing Linn Black....but that's just me.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well , I think I know what is the differece between silver and copper speaker cables , but does the silver makes such a difference when we talk about I/Cs ? Why would you avoid them ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts