Interconnect for NAD325/NAD542 and speaker cables for MA Silver RS6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody
I purchased next configuration from an authorized dealer :NAD C542,NAD C325BEE and Monitor Audio RS6.
All
this time I wondered why everybody thinks NAD has a warmer presentation
while my rig was "cold", with a narrow soundstage, harsh and bass shy.
Only
after I got my new pair of HD650 headphones, I realized that something
is wrong with cable matching and not with the speakers/amplifier setup.

The first thing that I did was to change the existing interconnect
cable (Eagle Cable MC90 - 44USD)with an old Bandridge cable left
somewhere in my house.
The sound changed dramatically after cable
replacement, the soundstage opened and everything became more musical than
before.The price paid was an evident loss of details and clarity.
Now I am stuck in choosing the right cable so I narrowed my options to these variants:
• QED QUNEX 3 (I heard that is good for NAD/MA combination)
• Chord Crimson
• Supra EFF-ISL (recommended by a friend who has same audio configuration 325BEE / MA RS6)

What would be your suggestion?
I
must confess that I found a little bit of lack of high frequencies on
NAD/RS6 with too much mid frequencies emphasis. Should I buy also a
silver based speaker cable? I suspect also that my current cable is low
quality too.
http://www.eagle-cable.com/haupt.asp?topnavi=produkte&ser=2&lab=30&lang=en
http://www.eagle-cable.com/haupt.asp?topnavi=produkte&ser=3&lab=38&lang=en

Thanks in advance,

A

Anonymous

Hi,

In the UK the EFF-ISL is more expensive than the other two you mention, comparable to the Chord SIlver Plus and the VDH D102.

I've tried the Crimson and the EFF-ISL in my system and would probably choose the latter, though speaking in value for money terms you can't beat the former. Both of those cables are very balanced and detailed, the QED will tighten up the mid-lower frequencies as you suggest though. Will your local hifi dealer allow you to have a listen to all three of them?

A

Anonymous

Octopo,

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, all of the three cables are sold on the three different online shops so I can`t try them first.It seems it is a consensus to go with the Supra ,two different persons indicated me the same cable.

The same NAD configuration sounded warm and musical with Mission m34i (bought by another person that was in the shop at that time) but ,to me,MA was more precise and refined.I am thinking to replace also the speaker cables (let`s say Chord Carnival Silver or Supra PLY 3.4/S) but I am afraid to not emphasize the medium frequencies which are already too strident for me.

A

Anonymous

I also have RS6s and previously had Chord Crimson and it is a very good cable. Yet, Cobra3 is better as it uses same exact setup as Crimson but fewer and beefier strands of copper. You can get Cobra3 on ebay or at some stores for same price as Crimson. Chameleon Silver Plus adds silver coating and silver plugs (silver is better conductor) - and its quite a cable for the money. Try to snatch a deal for CSP - there was one last week...

A

Anonymous

I bought in the meantime the Chord Carnival Silverscreen without terminations and I found that bass improved over previous cable (Eagle Cable Calypso II).Carnival is more neutral cable, the sound is less aggressive to my
ears(less bright) and also nice looking.It is any burn time recommended
for this cable?Is any difference vs factory terminated if I had decent connectors?

I will now try to change existing interconnect.Everywhere I searched ,I did not found any opinions on my actual cable (EAGLE CABLE MC90).I would have been interested in some opinions because I think is not a bad cable.I also suspect is popular in Germany (where is manufactured).The next in the series,MC100 is in fact not cheaper cable (almost same price to Chord Crimson).

The options are:
  • Chord Crimson
  • Chord Chameleon Silver
  • Atlas Equator mkii
  • Audioquest Diamondback.
Personally I would go with Atlas.What would be your suggestion?

A

Anonymous

Terminations don't affect the sound quality - they're just a convenience. You will have to cut 1-2cm of cable off every so often (year maybe?) to expose new bit of cable as it tends to oxydise over time and that does affect sound quality.

Interconnects - I recommend Chameleon S+. It's an excellent cable (very detailed and bassy) that has won lots of praise on these forums.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

The kimber PBJ and Timbre are a step up from chord chrimson and better than vandenhul 102III (more detail and open) and probably better than chord cobra 3. The nordost blue heaven would certaintly open up the top end, and tighten the bottom end but on some systems maybe to bright.

All the best.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts