Integrated or external phono preamp

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I wanna know your opinion about adding an external phono preamp for my rega planar 2.
Currently I have the following system:
Receiver: marantz sr 5013
Turntable: Rega Planar 2
Sub: Rel HT1003
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 200

As you know the marantz already has an integrated phono preamp but I don't really know if with that phono I'm getting the best sound out of my system.

Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone!

I wanna know your opinion about adding an external phono preamp for my rega planar 2.
Currently I have the following system:
Receiver: marantz sr 5013
Turntable: Rega Planar 2
Sub: Rel HT1003
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 200

As you know the marantz already has an integrated phono preamp but I don't really know if with that phono I'm getting the best sound out of my system.

Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!
How much would you have to spend to upgrade your system?
What cartridge do you have fitted to the Planar 2?

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
The internal phono preamp should be good enough for a much better cartridge than the Carbon so your best upgrade would be a better cartridge in my opinion.
Is that 200-300 pounds, dollars or what?

Thanks! Dollars, sorry for that.
So you are telling me that a better Cartridge it would make a significant difference? Is my Rega Planar 2 good enough to support much better Cartridge?
Thanks a lot for help

rainsoothe

£379 for rega IO with a quality MM phono stage
Rega cartridges best for rega , others will fit but you will have a fit VTA risers or headshell shims to correct the VTA
Not all cartridges are that sensitive to VTA, and plenty of carts that fall in the same price range as their Rega MM counterparts are way better - Nagaoka, AT, Goldring are the obvious ones.

Munich

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
I would agree with AI and the other posters here that you should upgrade the cart first. If after that you are still in the market for a high quality and budget-friendly phono stage, I can recommend the Graham Slee Communicator (with PSU if your budget can stretch).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts