Integrated Amplifier

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
I would like some upgrade advice please.
Have just ordered a new Cyrus CDI player to replace my Marantz CD6006 player.
I am currently using a British made Audiolab 8000S and P set up but am considering a more modern set up with digital input including ideally Bluetooth. I have Tannoy 6XTF speakers.
Am considering the Cambridge CX81, Audiolab 7000A etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.
Not much between those two amplifiers.
The Cambridge is slightly more powerful, the Audiolab arguably has a slightly better DAC.
Not sure how either will sound with the Cyrus CDP but I am surprised you went with this rather than simply buying a CD transport.
However, both amps will have no issues driving your speakers

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Not much between those two amplifiers.
The Cambridge is slightly more powerful, the Audiolab arguably has a slightly better DAC.
Not sure how either will sound with the Cyrus CDP but I am surprised you went with this rather than simply buying a CD transport.
However, both amps will have no issues driving your speakers

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Al ears. I bought the Cyrus on the strength of it's multiple awards and favourable reviews, ( and I have always wanted some Cyrus kit ) !! I assumed the DAC in the dedicated Cyrus would be superior to those found in the amps around that price range.

Thanks Al ears. I bought the Cyrus on the strength of it's multiple awards and favourable reviews, ( and I have always wanted some Cyrus kit ) !! I assumed the DAC in the dedicated Cyrus would be superior to those found in the amps around that price range.
Possibly, you may have difficulty assessing the DAC alone and I am not sure which sort of dac the Cyrus uses. Just seems to me to be a waste of money paying for another dac although I guess you need it if using Bluetooth.

Gray

( and I have always wanted some Cyrus kit ) !!
After 20 years owning a Cyrus 8 amp, I've just got an XR-i7, with their latest DAC version built in.
If the one in the CDI is at least as good (and it should be), then you shouldn't be disappointed.

In your position I would hold off on any amp purchase....until trying the new CDP with what you have.
There may be little benefit in buying a more 'modern' amp.
If you need Bluetooth, it would be cheaper (and probably better) to add the Zen Blue to your system.

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks again. As long as my chosen Amp will hopefully compliment the Cyrus and speakers then I will be a happy chappy !!

Reactions: Gray

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
After 20 years owning a Cyrus 8 amp, I've just got an XR-i7, with their latest DAC version built in.
If the one in the CDI is at least as good (and it should be), then you shouldn't be disappointed.

In your position I would hold off on any amp purchase....until trying the new CDP with what you have.
There may be little benefit in buying a more 'modern' amp.
If you need Bluetooth, it would be cheaper (and probably better) to add the Zen Blue to your system.
I have not considered that option or heard of the Zen Blue. How would I connect that to my old Audiolab set up? Plug into the analogue inputs of the 8000S?
Thanks for that advice.

Gray

Plug into the analogue inputs of the 8000S?
Yes, that's what you would do - any non- phono analogue line input.
(The ifi Zen Blue has its own DAC).

They also sell a cheaper BT option as part of their 'Air' range of products.
But checkout the reviews of the Zen Blue V2.
The point is, it's likely to be better than the BT circuitry within an integrated amp.

It's also got digital outputs - which means that you could use it via any other DAC if you really wanted to.

Reactions: Al ears

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site

The point is, it's likely to be better than the BT circuitry within an integrated amp.

It's also got digital outputs - which means that you could use it via any other DAC if you really wanted to.
Cheers.
I will certainly take a look at this and may end up keeping my lovely old Audiolab amps for a while longer. I often wonder how much better a modern £1000 integrated would be than my current set up.
Thanks again for your input.

robdmarsh

I had the original Zen Blue and can vouch for it being really excellent for the money, no, strike that just excellent full stop. The DAC inside it was super natural and neutral sounding, it had a rock solid bluetooth connection and it put the Yamaha wxc-50 which I had at the time to shame. I now have a Zen One signature DAC/bluetooth receiver, which takes things up to a whole new level. I am definitely what you might call an ifi fan boy - I think they make fantastic value for money products, especially the Zen range.

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
I had the original Zen Blue and can vouch for it being really excellent for the money, no, strike that just excellent full stop. The DAC inside it was super natural and neutral sounding, it had a rock solid bluetooth connection and it put the Yamaha wxc-50 which I had at the time to shame. I now have a Zen One signature DAC/bluetooth receiver, which takes things up to a whole new level. I am definitely what you might call an ifi fan boy - I think they make fantastic value for money products, especially the Zen range.
This is all good stuff. Thanks so much for this information I was unaware of !!
Listening now to my 1999 Audiolab pairing, I am thinking, I may keep them and see how the Cyrus CDi performs with them. I can then buy the Zen Bluetooth and save a shed of money. Cheers.

robdmarsh

This is all good stuff. Thanks so much for this information I was unaware of !!
Listening now to my 1999 Audiolab pairing, I am thinking, I may keep them and see how the Cyrus CDi performs with them. I can then buy the Zen Bluetooth and save a shed of money. Cheers.
Go for it. The Zen Blue is truly a great piece of design, a solid kind of little space ship piece of metal and no unnecessary frills like displays that can't be read from the other side of the room, just a big coloured soft looking lcd to indicate bit rate. Enjoy!

Reactions: DPD
I would like some upgrade advice please.
Have just ordered a new Cyrus CDI player to replace my Marantz CD6006 player.
I am currently using a British made Audiolab 8000S and P set up but am considering a more modern set up with digital input including ideally Bluetooth. I have Tannoy 6XTF speakers.
Am considering the Cambridge CX81, Audiolab 7000A etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Really, if you are happy with the Audiolabs then I would suggest sticking with them. Theres little like familiarity. Otherwise, unless you demo a new amp(s) you won't know if they'll synergise with the Tannoys until it's too late.

Instead I would look at the other suggestions such as Zen stuff.

NBBUA

Mar 4, 2023
Visit site
sorry, for my English-)
I use D class amplifier on clone purify (DIY)
300-700 dollars depending on the filling, but you need an external DAC .
...edited by mods link removed as it isn't an amplifier

gasolin

The audiolab 6000 transporter should be really good

An amp that is smooth on the highs since the speakers can be somewhat bright

Nad m33 if you can afford it

Reactions: NBBUA

DPD

Mar 2, 2023
Visit site
Really, if you are happy with the Audiolabs then I would suggest sticking with them. Theres little like familiarity. Otherwise, unless you demo a new amp(s) you won't know if they'll synergise with the Tannoys until it's too late.

Instead I would look at the other suggestions such as Zen stuff.
Too late !!. I had the Audiolab pair advertised on Gumtree. I did not expect them to go so quick. I had a "reasonable" price for the pair so after lots of internet " research", I have ordered a new Rega Elex Mk 4. There was nowhere local to demo so I have taken the risk it will pair with my existing system.

Reactions: plastic penguin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts