Integrated Amplifier with digital inputs

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm after a new integrated amplifier, ideally one with digital inputs to drive my Spendor A5's as I'm planning on using just my Mac Mini and PS3 as sources. I currently use an Arcam Solo Movie but think a decent amp would improve the sound.

So far the only option I can see is the Cyrus 8 XPd, my budget can stretch that far but I was hoping to keep it under £1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any new amps in the £500 to £1500 price range that will have optical or USB digital inputs and a fairly decent power output to drive the Spendor A5's, or is the Cyrus the one to go for?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
robreid:

Hi, I'm after a new integrated amplifier, ideally one with digital inputs to drive my Spendor A5's as I'm planning on using just my Mac Mini and PS3 as sources. I currently use an Arcam Solo Movie but think a decent amp would improve the sound.

So far the only option I can see is the Cyrus 8 XPd, my budget can stretch that far but I was hoping to keep it under £1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any new amps in the £500 to £1500 price range that will have optical or USB digital inputs and a fairly decent power output to drive the Spendor A5's, or is the Cyrus the one to go for?

I'm no expert in the digital music area, but what about a standard amp and seperate DAC? I am guessing that would open up your choices somewhat?

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I had considered that and was looking the the Leema pulse as a possible amp but then I need to find a decent DAC around the £500 mark. Also my girfriend is keen on me not having too many boxes.

Its surprising not more companies are making a amplifier with digital inputs.

A

Anonymous

CHORDETTESCAMP.jpg

What about the new Chordette Scamp, small, pretty, digital inputs, and if their normal standards are anything to go by, probably sounds pretty good too. Haven't heard one, so don't know if it will drive the Spendors, but I'd be tempted.

shuggieb:What about the new Chordette Scamp, small, pretty, digital inputs, and if their normal standards are anything to go by, probably sounds pretty good too. Haven't heard one, so don't know if it will drive the Spendors, but I'd be tempted.
Hi shuggieb

I have used the new Chord Electronics Chordette Scamp amp over the last few days with Dynaudio's X16/X32, ATC's SCM19/SCM40 and Monitor Audio's PL300 speakers. The Scamp has driven all of these speakers with ease. The Scamp can also drive a resistive load such as 801's. The Scamp as with other Chord Electronics amplifiers has unconditional stability so therefore should also drive the Spendors.

Btw, the Scamp sounds superb which is (amongst its other qualities) detailed, rich, coherent and dynamic.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a think about it but I'm starting to think maybe a separate DAC and Amp may be the best way to go as I can pick up a Cyrus 8 vs2 for £399 and the new arcam dac at £300, I personally think that will get me the best sound for the money.

A

Anonymous

If you fancy Cyrus see if you can stretch to a Pre/Power combo instead as the Spendors will love you for it. I would aim for an XPower if you can. You won't need to change it then!

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The XTZ Class-A100D3 has five digital inputs (one Optical and four Coaxial) and is £600. They only sell direct but do offer a home trial. Besides, a home demo is the best way to see if the system works for you in your room.

The digital section uses the same DAC as the CA 840C and Benchmark DAC1. The amplifier section has 100W of Class A and 220W of Class AB power (switchable on the fly) and 62 Amps current capacity.

Happy Hunting

A

Anonymous

100W of class A?? Good grief. This must be heavily biased class A rather than 100W of true class A surely. The amount of heat and heat-sinks required would be mad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts