integrated amplifier made in China

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Overdose said:
Wiki results? Edit: I was tempted too.

Yup, from United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime 2010 figures

Overdose said:
Possibly the rate for China is artifically low and this only shows official figures, as opposed to the real ones.

Quite possibly, but then that just means the USA 20,000, China 3 figures would be even more wide of the mark.

Indeed.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
madhouse said:
Capitalism is failing. America has around 20,000 homicides ea year.

Not quite: 14,748

madhouse said:
Murders ea year in China? Probably three.

Not quite: 13,410.

(However, the relative populations means the USA murder rate is 4.8 per 100,000 people, while China's is 1 per 100,000)

I am shocked to read those stats on China, here's why ...

Top two motives for murder one:

1. Money (bad)
2. Adultery (mad)

Most people in China are poor, so rule out bad; they must be all mad.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
madhouse said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
GSB said:
So how is us as consumers boycotting Chinese made produce going to change this?

Obviously, it wouldn't improve the lives of the people living in poverty, but don't kid yourself that the workers are actually getting any kind of decent money, they are more or less slaves.

The air pollution in parts of China is unbelievably bad, and it's drifting over parts of Japan, so much so that it's affecting the Japanese people's health. These serious issues are swept under the carpet , as are numerous other issues to do with goods made in China. Do a little research, it might open your eyes to what's really happening over there?

China worries me hugely, why do you think they suddenly embraced capitalism? Why are they spending their huge wealth on buying land in other countries? Why are they buying into, and indeed trying to buy a lot of the world's natural resources? Why did they lend money so eagerly to the USA and Europe?

I have a theory, and IMO, this isn't going to end at all well for those of us that are in debt to China, and those of us that don't have our own natural resources.

Capitalism is failing. America has around 20,000 homicides ea year. Why don't you ask the Police their opinion (it should count the most considering that they have to deal with all this **** head on daily while you listen to rock 'n roll and speculate about anything and everything via txt messages) Murders ea year in China? Probably three.

:rofl: Guessing are you?

OK, have a guess at how many industrial/work deaths China has compared with the US and Europe - if figures are even available for China. They tend to keep those things hidden if they can.

Fool.

A

Anonymous

I would hardly call it guessing, I have studied death-row for uni papers.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
China says 83,196 people lost their lives in work-related incidents last year.

"China’s State Administration of Work Safety reported 380,000 incidents in the workplace that caused death or injury.

How does that stack up compared to the U.S.? To put the situation into perspective, the U.S. has a workforce of 155 million, while China has over five times that amount, at about 801 million.

The U.S. reported 5,071 worker deaths in 2008.

So the number of workplace fatalities in China is 16 times that of those in the U.S.

Approximately 14 workers die per day in the U.S. compared to 228 in China.

Coal mining accounted for 2,631 deaths last year in China — 7 deaths per day. China relies on coal for 70% of its energy needs."

http://www.safetynewsalert.com/worker-fatalities-how-does-china-compare-to-u-s/

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:

How does that stack up compared to the U.S.? To put the situation into perspective, the U.S. has a workforce of 155 million, while China has over five times that amount, at about 801 million.

So the number of workplace fatalities in China is 16 times that of those in the U.S.

That isn't the correct way to look at those figures, of course China will have more deaths, they have 5 times as many people working (according to your figures), what you need to look at is the deaths per working capita, for China it's one death per 9628 workers (rounding up), for the US it's one death per 30566 workers, so the Chinese rate is about 3 times higher than the US.

Compare that to the figures for the UK for 2011/12, 173 deaths in the workplace, which is about one per 60,000 workers, so you can't exactly hold the US up as a paragon of workplace safety, they're twice as bad as we are (although we're not doing quite that well this year, 192 deaths for the 9 months to 31 December 2012, which brings the rate down to roughly 1 per 40,500).

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
pauln said:

That isn't the correct way to look at those figures, of course China will have more deaths, they have 5 times as many people working (according to your figures), what you need to look at is the deaths per working capita, for China it's one death per 9628 workers (rounding up), for the US it's one death per 30566 workers, so the Chinese rate is about 3 times higher than the US.

Compare that to the figures for the UK for 2011/12, 173 deaths in the workplace, which is about one per 60,000 workers, so you can't exactly hold the US up as a paragon of workplace safety, they're twice as bad as we are (although we're not doing quite that well this year, 192 deaths for the 9 months to 31 December 2012, which brings the rate down to roughly 1 per 40,500).

It clearly says that China has 5 times as many workers as the US. It is up to the reader to work out the numbers to do a direct comparison; as you have done. I don't see that there is a correct or an incorrect way to look at the figures it's just data to be interpreted. Admittedly the last line saying "16 times" could be taken the wrong way by someone who was not paying enough attention.

They aren't "my" figures or even my words, it's a cut and paste from the linked website and I have no reason to doubt the validity of the figures.

I'm not American and in what way was I holding the US up as a paragon of workplace safety? I was merely making a comparison between two large countries.

I am British and fully aware of this countries relatively good workplace safety record however I would also add that it is expensive to achieve and is a contributory factor to the high costs of producing goods in this country and the spiralling cost of construction projects. I speak from first hand experience, the cost is not in supplying hi vis vests to everybody but more the increased time it takes to do the simplest of tasks and the huge amount of form filling that is required.

I'm currently working on a third world construction site where health and safety is talked about but not implemented and accidents are common - 4 fatalities since the project began. Safety costs money and that cost gets passed onto the consumer. If you or anyone else is comfortable paying less for your Chinese made goods knowing that those savings are achieved by low safety standards that result in deaths, accidents and occupational health problems then so be it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
The_Lhc said:
pauln said:

It clearly says that China has 5 times as many workers as the US. It is up to the reader to work out the numbers to do a direct comparison; as you have done. I don't see that there is a correct or an incorrect way to look at the figures it's just data to be interpreted.

Just comparing the figures directly is NOT the right way to look at it, it's entirely feasible for China to have more deaths but a lower death-rate (they don't but it's possible), in that case the US would actually be the more dangerous place to work but that would be clear from a simple comparison of the flat figures. BTW as the person presenting the figures to support your argument I would suggest it's actually your responsibility to do the sums, not the reader.

Admittedly the last line saying "16 times" could be taken the wrong way by someone who was not paying enough attention.

They aren't "my" figures or even my words, it's a cut and paste from the linked website and I have no reason to doubt the validity of the figures.

I'm not American and in what way was I holding the US up as a paragon of workplace safety? I was merely making a comparison between two large countries.

Oh, so you weren't presenting the figures as a way to criticise China's workplace safety record? My mistake... The other point is China is still relatively recent at playing this game compared to the US, China is playing catch-up, the US has had plenty of time to get this right, so I would look at these figures as being more of a criticism towards the US than China, as the world's most advanced nation (supposedly) the US figures are disgraceful.

I am British and fully aware of this countries relatively good workplace safety record however I would also add that it is expensive to achieve and is a contributory factor to the high costs of producing goods in this country and the spiralling cost of construction projects. I speak from first hand experience, the cost is not in supplying hi vis vests to everybody but more the increased time it takes to do the simplest of tasks and the huge amount of form filling that is required.

I'm currently working on a third world construction site where health and safety is talked about but not implemented and accidents are common - 4 fatalities since the project began. Safety costs money and that cost gets passed onto the consumer. If you or anyone else is comfortable paying less for your Chinese made goods knowing that those savings are achieved by low safety standards that result in deaths, accidents and occupational health problems then so be it.

I'm not making any comment on that argument, I'm simply clarfiying the figures. I don't really do emotive arguments.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
pauln said:

Can't you read thats what was said!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Oh, so you weren't presenting the figures as a way to criticise China's workplace safety record? My mistake...

Of course I was - but I still don't see how that therefore means I was implying that the US was a paragon of workplace safety. It was a comparison. Try reading the words and you might understand and not have to resort to sarcasm.

The fact still remains that China has around 3 x the number of work place deaths (per capita) than the US and 6 x as many as the UK.

A simple fact and and a straightforward unambiguous comparison; I don't understand what you're trying to argue about.

A

Anonymous

You know what makes no sense to me? You say ~15,000 homicides ea year in the US, where are all these murderes put? Could there be enough prisions and funding? I know for a fact that it cost ~1 million dollars to keep a person in jail for a life sentence (30-years) and it costs upwards of 100 million dollars to build a prision to house around 250

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
madhouse said:
You know what makes no sense to me? You say ~15,000 homicides ea year in the US, where are all these murderes put? Could there be enough prisions and funding? I know for a fact that it cost ~1 million dollars to keep a person in jail for a life sentence (30-years) and it costs upwards of 100 million dollars to build a prision to house around 250

This sort of info. can be found easily on the internet, the USA does have a high prison population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States

I think you should some of your own research rather than cluttering up a hifi forum which is not even USA based.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I am becoming more convinced by the day that the hi-fi fraternity is largely made up of grumpy, nit picking old men with nothing better to do than to argue the toss about pretty much anything. Hilarious really...

:rofl:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Supreme said:
I am becoming more convinced by the day the hi-fi fraternity is largely made up of grumpy, nit picking old men with nothing better to do than to argue the toss about pretty much anything. Hilarious really...

:rofl:

You've been paying attention :grin: ;)

A

Anonymous

Stand over here. No stand over there. No, no, no ...
Stand anywhere. STAND UP STRAIGHT so you can EDITED by MODS for profanity .

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Poor reginaldo, all he wants is a concrete report on the quality of China built Krells.

Apparently that is all he actually wanted to know, but he asked the wrong original question to find out, even with the rather bizarre sub-plot arguments that developed. His OP simply asked about build quailty between UK and China amps (although odd to ask that when Krell are nominally a US brand), and I actually think he got a perfectly good answer to that myself.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
madhouse said:

I would have thought its more to do with the availability of firearms in the US..............

A

Anonymous

Sospri said:
madhouse said:

I would have thought its more to do with the availability of firearms in the US..............

Some people need to be shot. But then again perhaps they're not worth the cost of the bullet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts