Integrated Amplifier for ATC SCM 40?

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, This is my first post here, and frankly relatively new to the world of hi-fi. I am looking for advise as what integrated amplifier may be a good match to my ATC SCM 40 speakers, which I bought recently as couldn't resist the price they were selling at (used) and the overall sound quality that I like very much. As one option I am considering Musical Fidelity M6i, which I believe may fit well with ATCs, but what else anyone can suggest from experience, so I can add them into my short list for demo? I can surely demo everything that dealers have in stock, but frankly just do not have time for this, just 2-3 hours in a given weekend, therefore trying to come up with some limited number of options. I am looking at amps at a price range of MF more or less, and no particular interest right now in separates, since I am trying to optimize some space. I foresee some suggestions of getting ATC own amp - this ideally probably one of the best solutions, but where I live these amps are in great deficit and permanently out of stock, so no way for me to listen to them. I love detailed yet relatively smooth sound and listen to all sorts of music except for hard rock. I have lots of jazz, good quality pop (many in hi-rez), and also classic. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The other brand to try is Electrocompaniet (along with the MF and ATC).....try to listen to all three (and any others that crop up) if possible. Nobody can say for sure which you will prefer.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all for some early feedback. I guess I need to better clarify my system, which is non existent right now as I am up for full upgrade. What will stay is my self-built dedicated PC music server that outputs SPDIF signal to an external DAC. Currently I use DacMagic, which I will happily upload very shortly, so a new matching DAC is also a question along with the amp. On the analog front I have my old Rega P5 TT with Graham Slee phono stage - I am not listening to vinyl much, but will keep it anyway and may replace phono preamp down the road.

Currently as an amp I am using my AV receiver Onkyo 3008, which is leftover from my multichannel system that is gone completely. Onlyo will depart my house this weekend.

So you see I am pretty much wide open and indeed looking for not just an amp, but also a matching DAC.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
dragon76 said:
Hi All, This is my first post here, and frankly relatively new to the world of hi-fi. I am looking for advise as what integrated amplifier may be a good match to my ATC SCM 40 speakers, which I bought recently as couldn't resist the price they were selling at (used) and the overall sound quality that I like very much. As one option I am considering Musical Fidelity M6i, which I believe may fit well with ATCs, but what else anyone can suggest from experience, so I can add them into my short list for demo? I can surely demo everything that dealers have in stock, but frankly just do not have time for this, just 2-3 hours in a given weekend, therefore trying to come up with some limited number of options. I am looking at amps at a price range of MF more or less, and no particular interest right now in separates, since I am trying to optimize some space. I foresee some suggestions of getting ATC own amp - this ideally probably one of the best solutions, but where I live these amps are in great deficit and permanently out of stock, so no way for me to listen to them. I love detailed yet relatively smooth sound and listen to all sorts of music except for hard rock. I have lots of jazz, good quality pop (many in hi-rez), and also classic. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
If you want a detailed yet smooth sound try and demo the Yamaha as2000 quality built amplifier. :)

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
All,

Thanks for your advises and feedback. Today I had a bit of time and placed some calls in order to further develop my short list of amps:

Musical Fidelity M6i - can get it for just over 1600 pounds (I guess this is the currency that most of the forum participants understand better) all new boxed with warranty. Interestingly one of the dealers told me that MF would be too smooth for ATC. Another dealer tried to pursuade me not to go for MF given, per the guy I spoke, that recently MF experiences some quality issues - he recalled MF when they were produced in UK and told me that after moving the production to Asia the quality indeed dropped. Cannot comment on this, just wanted to share this conversation and get your opinion on this info.

I also looked at Plinius, and wanted to get a dealer appointement to listen. Since Plinius changed their model line, I was able to find Plinius 9100 for 1500 pounds absolutely new from old stock with full warranty (I guess the last dealer's unit in town). I can also get 9200X used, but in very good condition for 2000 pounds (maybe less depending on my negotiations skill). Very interested in Plinius and seriously consider it for my system.

Roksan Caspian. One of the dealers who sells ATC strongly recommended Roksan as partner to my SCM 40. I can get Caspian M2 new for around 1900 pounds, or I can get slightly used M1 for 1200. Please let me know if Roksans are indeed a good match to ATC, and whether the differences between M1 and M2 are significant.

I again searched for ATC amplifier, but couldn't find it anywere in stock to demo.

So far these are my findings. I am now in between Roksan and Plinius, but more inclined to go for Plinius. Please advise on MF, Roksan, and Plinius. Again I very much rely on your opinion as due to lack of time I am not going to be able to visit 3 dealers in one day, so I'd like to reduce it to 2 at most.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO You are getting slightly strange advice.

The ATC will be reflecting accurately the sound of the M6i; so if the sound is too warm, it is the character of the MF amp you are hearing, and whether you like the match, is down to personal taste.

The biggest complaint levied at MF was the speed that they changed models, but I think they have got it right with their current range.....which hopefully will be around for a while. I have heard of no particular reliability problems.

I also think Plinius and MF are better than Roksan, but that is personal and not a statement of fact.

Rick will be more familiar with how Plinius and ATC match up, but I suspect it should work well.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO You are getting slightly strange advice. The ATC will be reflecting accurately the sound of the M6i; so if the sound is too warm, it is the character of the MF amp you are hearing, and whether you like the match, is down to personal taste.

Agreed.

Plinius and ATC work well together, although again the speakers will allow you to hear your amplification and that will be a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't describe Plinius as 'smooth sounding'.

Anatta

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
IMO the ATCs benefit from a smooth amplifier, preferably a zero global feedback one, as they are very articulate, precise, critically damped. With the wrong amp they can be too tight and overbearing. To me they match well with Simaudio Moon amps which are smooth, warm and relaxed, yet with good detail.

cpr

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dragon,

I am not sure if you have already decided and purchased your amp for SCM40s. But as a fresh owner of ATC SCM 40s & SIA 2-150, I can say that they are a great match. I was looking for a good amp for my SCM11s and ended up not only with buying the SIA 2-150, but also upgrading to SCM40s. Now I have the big, warm, clean soundstage I was looking for :rockout:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dragon I am glad that you have posted this post as I have a mfm6i and as soon as funds allow I will be listening to the ATC SCM 40s among others I will be watching this post with intrest good luck with your search

cpr said:
Hi Dragon,

I am not sure if you have already decided and purchased your amp for SCM40s. But as a fresh owner of ATC SCM 40s & SIA 2-150, I can say that they are a great match. I was looking for a good amp for my SCM11s and ended up not only with buying the SIA 2-150, but also upgrading to SCM40s. Now I have the big, warm, clean soundstage I was looking for :rockout:

Hi cpr

Nice one and i hope that you enjoy the performance of your components for many years to come :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts