Integrated amp or pre/power amp! From which solution benefit speakers of quality Dynaudio Confidence C1 the most?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm preparing buiding up a new hifisystem coming from HT. Because of my roomsize and longing for quality my eye has fallen upon the Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers. At the moment I'm building up lot's of streaming files of 24/96 and higher quality. So I'm also looking for a quality streamer. I have a few questions for this forum. 1. what give more quality? integrated or combo pre/power? 2. I've seen that the dynaudio's need lots of current (impedance 4ohm!). I've read about Cyrus an Bryston options (pre/power combo's) and Leema integraded option. What is a pre- ferable solution to get the most out of the speakers? 3. What do you think of adding the Olive 4HD musicserver? Or are there better options? I'm not english so sorry if I use wrong words. Greetings, Danny

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome Landwaart to the forums.

You are setting a very high standard with the Confidence speakers so you will need to allow for a decent amp in the same sort of price bracket to drive them. On here, Jaxwired is more qualified to talk, as he owns Dynaudio, and uses Bryston amplification.

Pre/Power is usually better (more expensive), but that shouldn't rule out decent integrated amps, like those from ATC, Moon, Musical Fidelity, VTL, Leema and Bryston. If you can tell us your budget, musical taste and the type of music you listen to, it would also help.

With regard to streaming, I'm in the Linn DS camp; but that shouldn't stop you checking out those from Naim and Olive. IMO. Linn and Naim are better than Olive, but Olive wins on value for money.

Cno

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
landwaart said:
my eye has fallen upon the Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers..

I am a fence sitter on the border of HiFi / HT. I did switch the sides and still switching.. ( I guess it makes easy to guess my sun sign!)

Good to know that you are keen on C1 Speakers.. I used to have Dynaudio Contour S1.4.. It does not make me expert here but after all the long auditions, what I understand is that Dynaudio knows how to make base.. and your choice of amp should be well equipped to control the base.. which is tricky for many amps, I guess.. I have tried Marantz PM-11S1 and it was too clinical but Pearl / Pearl lite was enthusiastic enough for me.. ofcourse, pre/power combo lets you upgrade as well as fine tune with progress of time..

I am into Hybrid amps.. Pathos, i recommend strong, if it is integrated.. I have just bought a pair of Astin Trew AT5000 and so I can tell you real soon how they are doing.. and what I read is AT's Integrated is quite a hit..

Check it out..

A

Anonymous

Guys, already thanks for your input. I can understand it wise to share more info bout musiclikes , budget e.d.. I own already a NAS with substantial amount of music files. All WAV or FLAC, the most 16/44 but higher quality growing rapidly. I have a wired gigabith network. My room is 5,5 x 5 metres. I'm a generalist with music but jazz and pop/rock I listen the most. But a nice piece of clasical music is also not a punishment. My budget is very stretchy. That's a must if I want to combine the Dynaudio's allright. So don't bother about the money. I expect to buy equipment that will last for many years. I thougt building my system around the Dynaudio's is wise because of their quality and ability for smaller rooms. Of course I can't help to be infuenced by the WhatHifi articles where the Dynaudio's are coupled with Bryston or Cyrus. I feel that pre/power is my favorite because of (again) quality and future/upgrade options. The Olive is indeed in the picture because of quality but Naim NDX seems better quality and .. combines better with the already excisting NAS. Ooohhhh .... all those options. I hope you all can give me some more direction so that I can spend auditiontime well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I will throw some very different sounding/priced amps into the mix for you to consider.

ATC....................SIA 2-150 (£2500); CA2 + P1 (£2700)*

Musical Fidelity.......M6 (£2500); M6 500 (£4000); AMS35i (£6000)*

Plinius...............Hautonga (£4455); Hiato (£7215)

VTL...................M6 500 (£4650); TL-2.5 + ST85 (£3000) or ST 150 (£5700)*

Bryston..............BP 26 (£4195) + 3B SST2 (£4725)*

Moon.................600i (£6500); 700i (£8750)

Leema...............Tucana 11 (£3500)

Sugden..............Masterclass LA-4 (£2950) + SPA-4 (£4135)

* My picks

All the above amps are very good, and very different. The Dynaudio are fairly inefficient (86db) so need power, and go down to 4 ohms so need current. I've tried to pick amps that do this and give a lively presentation.

Cno

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Chord Electronics use Dynaudio as their 'official' show speaker; so if you have the cash a CPA 3000/SPM 650 pre-power will sound awesome. I have heard Chord amps and they are unbelieveable.

Naim amps have a similar fast sound, and I have had my Dynaudios on the end of Naim amplification for 10 years...says something. Spend as much or little as you like, but the more you spend (on amplification) the better the speakers will sound

NDX is a great bit of kit by the way.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Slight mistake in above info and should read:

VTL..........IT85 (£4650); TL-2.5 (£2650) + ST85 (£3000) or ST 150 (£5700)

Another quality standmount that is worth considering is the Kef Reference 201/2. IMO it has more resolution than the C1, but less of a weighty romantic sound.

A

Anonymous

I'll certainly will think it over and start reading info about your advices. thanks.

A

Anonymous

What about musical fidelity m6500i, stable into 4 ohms with 500wrms...

sounds very clear and controlled and seems a bargain at its price as it can control some very difficult speakers.

im toying with bookshelves and floorstanders (b&w 805d, 804d, tannoy dc10t, dynaudio c1, focal be) and the reason I chose this amp is because it will be able to drive any of these when the time comes to choose.

for the c1 speakers the m6pre m6prx would be amazing also, perfectly matched in power.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Accuphase E-560 Integrated.

Class A 30 W 8ohm, 60 W 2ohm, 120 W 2ohm

Plinius SA-103 Power Amp and if you need a pre-amp something like PLINIUS Tautoro would do nicly.

Switchable class a or a/b, 125 W 8 ohm, 220 W 4 ohm.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am not in the UK, so i am not exactly sure which shops carry Accuphase there, but if you contact www.rtsaudio.co.uk i am sure they can help you find some.

It's worth the trouble tracking one down though, the class A amps from Acuphase both sounds and looks stunning.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To Cno's list I'll add the Primare Pre32 and A34.2 power amplifier (£4100) with optional media board.

Dynaudios need a stable amp with plenty of control, and the new Primare amplification seems to provide just that.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
source and amplifier do the most influence to these speakers.Many solid state integrated and power amplifier will do a trick.They sound the best when volume is from normal to high level if room acoustics alows that,these speakers will shine at louder volume,impression as though sounds leaps from speakers and separates in front of you in stage.Bryston ,Pass labs,Krell,Asr emitter,Boulder.A lot of solid state gear is around .Some expensive,but worth the money.Just matter of taste.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
landwaart said:
I have a few questions for this forum. 1. what give more quality? integrated or combo pre/power?

it depends what integrated is compared to what pre/power. there's no black and white. some integrateds may easily outclass many pre/power combos.

landwaart said:
2. I've seen that the dynaudio's need lots of current (impedance 4ohm!). I've read about Cyrus an Bryston options (pre/power combo's) and Leema integraded option. What is a pre- ferable solution to get the most out of the speakers?

why don't you consider what Dynaudio themselves use for demming their speakers at hi-fi shows. Octave amplification made in Germany:

http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2009/dynaudios_consequence/index.html or

http://www.stereophile.com/content/octave-jubilee-dynaudio-evidence-platinum or

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudios-confidence-c4-signature or

http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2010/dynaudio_-_wadia_-_octave/index.html

I'm pretty sure that something like the new integrated V110 from Octave will be more than enough for the room of your size. no need to go pre/power route.

landwaart said:
3. What do you think of adding the Olive 4HD musicserver? Or are there better options?

I remember many people were complaining about poor user friendliness of Olive's interface. worth taking this fact into consideration IMO.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
landwaart said:
Hi, I'm preparing buiding up a new hifisystem coming from HT. Because of my roomsize and longing for quality my eye has fallen upon the Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers. At the moment I'm building up lot's of streaming files of 24/96 and higher quality. So I'm also looking for a quality streamer. I have a few questions for this forum. 1. what give more quality? integrated or combo pre/power? 2. I've seen that the dynaudio's need lots of current (impedance 4ohm!). I've read about Cyrus an Bryston options (pre/power combo's) and Leema integraded option. What is a pre- ferable solution to get the most out of the speakers? 3. What do you think of adding the Olive 4HD musicserver? Or are there better options? I'm not english so sorry if I use wrong words. Greetings, Danny

If you want to explore the Cyrus route -

. Stream x2 to do the streaming

. DacXP+ with a PSR-X

. X300's to provide the power

Should give any of the other options a good run for their money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts