Integrated amp for Wharfedale EVO 4.2+sub?

Qzav

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
I’m trying to decide on what integrated amp to buy for my Wharfedale EVO 4.2 (+sub, so sub out is preferred. Most likely it’s going to be BK P12-300SB-PR).

This is the room (~26 sq. meters = ~280 sq. foot). Note – stairway to 2nd floor is open.

Use case: music/TV/movies. Electronic (bassy and rhythmic) music is the biggest priority, refinement and detail is a not that important. Music will often be played at above average to high loudness.

Sources: TV and laptop (Bluetooth for phone connection is welcome, but not necessary)

Budget: £400-£1000 (don’t want to neither overpay, nor cheap out)

This is my first audio system, therefore I’ve been researching reviews of both my particular speakers and also various amplifiers to come up with some options.

The EVO 4.2 reviews do contradict each other to some extent with their amplifier recommendations (which probably comes down to everyone preferring different sound in general), but hopefully you can recommend me something that suits the aforementioned needs.

Here are some options that I’ve gathered:

Marantz PM6007 (£400)

IOTAVX SA3 (£400)

Yamaha A-S501 (£500)

Audiolab 6000A (£650)

Cambridge Audio CXA61 (£750)

Marantz PM7000N (£850)

Musical Fidelity M2si + DAC (£700 + ?)

Cambridge Audio CXA81 (£1000)

Rega Elex-R (£1050)

Thank you in advance for you answers!

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I can recommend the Audiolab. Despite its power rating it can drive dpeakers to good levels. Several German review test can attest to this too. They call it 'pegelfest'. Good features, good value and build.

It has great bass control, texture and extension and above average soundstage/transpareny. Some have called this clinical ... I would rather call it a more mature and expensive sound than some others at and above the cost. Midrange has (slight) warmth and treble is (slightly) reigned in. Will suit many speakers.

An Arcam SA20 is in your budget. Class G. Full sound, good power. Slightly soft bass and 'brighter' than the Audiolab but many like that. Better for stand mounts and other more bass light speakers. Good value at current reduced price. Well made.

S/H Hegel H90. Great amp. Neutral, unfatiguing and powerful for rated wattage. Good build and features. Will suit most speakers.

I have (or am) using all of the above.

I would also look at the new Roksan amplifier (without streamer).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Qzav

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
I can recommend the Audiolab. Despite its power rating it can drive dpeakers to good levels. Several German review test can attest to this too. They call it 'pegelfest'. Good features, good value and build.

It has great bass control, texture and extension and above average soundstage/transpareny. Some have called this clinical ... I would rather call it a more mature and expensive sound than some others at and above the cost. Midrange has (slight) warmth and treble is (slightly) reigned in. Will suit many speakers.

An Arcam SA20 is in your budget. Class G. Full sound, good power. Slightly soft bass and 'brighter' than the Audiolab but many like that. Better for stand mounts and other more bass light speakers. Good value at current reduced price. Well made.

S/H Hegel H90. Great amp. Neutral, unfatiguing and powerful for rated wattage. Good build and features. Will suit most speakers.

I have (or am) using all of the above.

I would also look at the new Roksan amplifier (without streamer).

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the Audiolab 6000a - given it's reviews and your description it sounds like almost the perfect amp for me. I love the fact that it has great bass control (good for music I will listen to the most) and that it's treble is limited - I'm somewhat sensitive to high frequencies and prefer darker sound. The problem is that it doesn't have a sub out (maybe I'm missing something?) and its wpc being on the lower side of what is recommended for EVO 4.2 in medium+ rooms (60-70+Wpc is recommended, supposedly EVOs like power and it opens them up, even if they can be ran on~40Wpc).

I've read about Arcam SA20 and it was on my shortlist for a little while, but I decided against it for the similar reasons like Audiolab 6000a - no sub out, Wpc on the lower side (especially for the price) + it's supposed brightness.

S/H Hegel H90 seem to be both unavailable and out of my budget in the UK, sadly...

Roksan Attessa looks very intriguing and is available in the UK but I can't seem to find proper reviews or opinions about it online.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Regarding the Audiolab 6000a - given it's reviews and your description it sounds like almost the perfect amp for me. I love the fact that it has great bass control (good for music I will listen to the most) and that it's treble is limited - I'm somewhat sensitive to high frequencies and prefer darker sound. The problem is that it doesn't have a sub out (maybe I'm missing something?) and its wpc being on the lower side of what is recommended for EVO 4.2 in medium+ rooms (60-70+Wpc is recommended, supposedly EVOs like power and it opens them up, even if they can be ran on~40Wpc).

I've read about Arcam SA20 and it was on my shortlist for a little while, but I decided against it for the similar reasons like Audiolab 6000a - no sub out, Wpc on the lower side (especially for the price) + it's supposed brightness.

S/H Hegel H90 seem to be both unavailable and out of my budget in the UK, sadly...

Roksan Attessa looks very intriguing and is available in the UK but I can't seem to find proper reviews or opinions about it online.
If your sub has a high level input (most do...) you can connect it to the speaker terminals of your amplifier in addition to your normal speakers. This is the REL recommended way to do it.

Reactions: Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

The Arcam projects a tad more forward. Lovely, full and cohesive. The added advantage of Class A at lower power , imho superbly implemented with their take on class G which, until this series was only available on their top amplifiers. I would certainly listen to it if you can. Even though slightly 'brighter' with its extended highs there is no trace of harshness whatsoever. The only minus being the slightly full bass but then that could be a plus for some in the right circumstances/systems.

It is, in my opinion, a step up from Cambridge Audio's CX61 and a warmer, nicer listen than the CX81.

The Audiolab is more spacious sounding with more depth and a little more dynamic even though it's set a little further back.

Both can be heard at RS side by side, as, I believe, is the Roksan (and CA).

Have fun.

I hand over to others with experience of different products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952
I’m trying to decide on what integrated amp to buy for my Wharfedale EVO 4.2 (+sub, so sub out is preferred. Most likely it’s going to be BK P12-300SB-PR).

This is the room (~26 sq. meters = ~280 sq. foot). Note – stairway to 2nd floor is open.

Use case: music/TV/movies. Electronic (bassy and rhythmic) music is the biggest priority, refinement and detail is a not that important. Music will often be played at above average to high loudness.

Sources: TV and laptop (Bluetooth for phone connection is welcome, but not necessary)

Budget: £400-£1000 (don’t want to neither overpay, nor cheap out)

This is my first audio system, therefore I’ve been researching reviews of both my particular speakers and also various amplifiers to come up with some options.

The EVO 4.2 reviews do contradict each other to some extent with their amplifier recommendations (which probably comes down to everyone preferring different sound in general), but hopefully you can recommend me something that suits the aforementioned needs.

Here are some options that I’ve gathered:

Marantz PM6007 (£400)

IOTAVX SA3 (£400)

Yamaha A-S501 (£500)

Audiolab 6000A (£650)

Cambridge Audio CXA61 (£750)

Marantz PM7000N (£850)

Musical Fidelity M2si + DAC (£700 + ?)

Cambridge Audio CXA81 (£1000)

Rega Elex-R (£1050)

Thank you in advance for you answers!
The only amps I've heard from your list is the Yamaha (actually it's the A-S 500 not 501) and the Rega Elex-R.

To be honest, both are very good. However, I'm going to be predictable (apologise to you and other members), and suggest my amp. There are a couple of Leema Pulse (1st gen) on a famous auction site. All I can say is it's fantastic for s/hand prices. Everyone who's purchased one has been very impressed by its bass definition, realism and fun factor. And it seems to work well with Wharfedales

Reactions: RoA
The Arcam projects a tad more forward. Lovely, full and cohesive. The added advantage of Class A at lower power , imho superbly implemented with their take on class G which, until this series was only available on their top amplifiers. I would certainly listen to it if you can. Even though slightly 'brighter' with its extended highs there is no trace of harshness whatsoever. The only minus being the slightly full bass but then that could be a plus for some in the right circumstances/systems.

It is, in my opinion, a step up from Cambridge Audio's CX61 and a warmer, nicer listen than the CX81.

The Audiolab is more spacious sounding with more depth and a little more dynamic even though it's set a little further back.

Both can be heard at RS side by side, as, I believe, is the Roksan (and CA).

Have fun.

I hand over to others with experience of different products.
I like Arcams regardless of class of amp. IMO, that fuller bass can translate into a slightly flabby presentation. Although it's not a game choker.

Fwiw, the Attessa amplifier has a fluid, full bodied and yet punchy and powerful presentation. Out of interest we recently used the Attessa amplifier with components costing many times more and the Attessa showed it's composure with Monitor Audio's 5G Gold 300's and a JL Audio's Fathom f212 v2 subwoofer :)

Gotham g213 v2 subwoofer is up next for the Attessa amplifier :D

Fwiw, the Attessa amplifier has a fluid, full bodied and yet punchy and powerful presentation. Out of interest we recently used the Attessa amplifier with components costing many times more and the Attessa showed it's composure with Monitor Audio's 5G Gold 300's and a JL Audio's Fathom f212 v2 subwoofer :)

more money than sense... :)

Qzav

Jan 28, 2022
Visit site

I'm becoming more and more interested by the Attessa. A few things I want to ask:
1. There seems to be no control knobs for bass/treble/balance on it. Does that mean you cannot control them or is it there just not obvious?
2. Do 2 ports called pre-out/sub would allow me to connect a sub without any disadvantages compared to sinlge LFE port?

Currently I'm in between the Marantz PM7000N and Roksan Attessa and the latter would've probably already won if I had a proper review to refer to + treble/bass controls.

I'm becoming more and more interested by the Attessa. A few things I want to ask:
1. There seems to be no control knobs for bass/treble/balance on it. Does that mean you cannot control them or is it there just not obvious?
2. Do 2 ports called pre-out/sub would allow me to connect a sub without any disadvantages compared to sinlge LFE port?

Currently I'm in between the Marantz PM7000N and Roksan Attessa and the latter would've probably already won if I had a proper review to refer to + treble/bass controls.
Roksan have never been keen on tone controls and I doubt the Attessa will have any, I am sure Rick will be back to confirm or deny.
Cannot see the point myself, however because of my hearing I do insist on a balance control.

Sorry for my late reply as this slipped my mind.

Attessa amplifier doesn't have tone controls however balance can be altered.

If the sub has L+R inputs then try and use Attessa amplifiers both L+R outputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts