Integrated amp/ dac

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Quick question. I currently have a Cyrus 8a, arcam d33 dac and focal aria 906 with focal stands.

Change of circumstances means I need to downsize the system. Will retain the speakers, and sell the amp and dac.

My question is, would an audio lab 8000a and qdac which I can get for approx £300 be better than a marantz pm7005 integrated amp and dac, that I can buy for approx £400?

I read some of your earlier posts and you felt that an Arcam was a bit dull, but liked the brighter Cyrus. Therefore, I think an Audiolab might be more like your Arcam was. I'd therefore choose the Marantz.

They are typically quite punchy and not so much bright as 'present', but I realise that's very subjective. Maybe a more modest Cyrus would be ideal?

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
That's actually a conclusion that I had just come too. Been looking at some older Cyrus integrated amps. Surprising how well some of the older amplifiers hold their value - an 8vs2 is approx £400 and a far more recent 8a is more like £600.

Kellytm272 said:
Quick question. I currently have a Cyrus 8a, arcam d33 dac and focal aria 906 with focal stands.

Change of circumstances means I need to downsize the system. Will retain the speakers, and sell the amp and dac.

My question is, would an audio lab 8000a and qdac which I can get for approx £300 be better than a marantz pm7005 integrated amp and dac, that I can buy for approx £400?

A little confused, Kelly. You say you have Focal speakers yet your signature says Dynaudio. Like the aforementioned amps those two speakers are very different. Dyns traditionally works well with Cyrus, and Focal generally work with Arcam.

Which ones would be the mainstay of your system?

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Need to edit the signature.

i had the dynaudios originally with an 8vs2 amp. I then got a great deal on a Cyrus 8a and focal 906 speaker combo. The focal 906s appealed to me due to the dimensions and shape of the listening room - big boxes, front firing port, so less fussy on positioning. Had issues with bass boom on the dynaudios, due to proximity to the back wall/ corner of the room.

As it happens, this amp and speaker combination sounds better than what I've had before (to my ears).

So I would intend to keep the focals, as it's been difficult to find speakers that work well in my room.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So I managed to pick up an arcam irdac for under £250 to replace the D33. It sounds not too different with the 8a amp and focal speakers.

I then saw a Cyrus 3 on eBay going for the £160 mark. Had been recently serviced, new capacitors and modern bfa speaker sockets fitted. Also picked up the psx-r for £200.

swapping the 8a out for the 3 actually gave an improvement. Things were more musical, maybe the bass was a little less controlled, but there even seemed like the bass was better. Not yet tried it with the psx-r, so that will be interesting.

using with audirvana plus on my Mac, through usb.

still got the gear that is specified on my signature, but hopefully will have sold the amp and dac soon :)

TRENDING THREADS