Input capacitance

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've just been reading about input capacitance in relation to my preamp and cartridge etc. I didn't know anything about this so it's all pretty new to me. Can anyone tell me how important this is.

The reason I ask us because I'm using a 2m bronze that recommends a load of 150-300, my preamp is a Tisbury Domino that has a load of 200, I've read that my RCA cable will add more and the internal wiring in the cartridge even more. I'm a little confused lol.

Am I over thinking things or us it something that will affect the so be quality.

Thanks.

abacus

It can do depending on the cartridge, however if you say the pre-amp has 200pf (Which seems high for a pre-amp unless it is adjustable) and most turntables have around 100pf then you are still within the optimum range.

Bill

Gray

Am I over thinking things
It's true to say that you're giving it more thought than many do.
Input capacitance used to be very important when using Ortofon's VMS (Variable Magnetic Shunt) cartridges. I had (still got) the VMS20E. As you increased the input capacitance, you could clearly hear the HF attenuation.
Your cart won't be so critical, still best to stay within their recommendation though.
I wouldn't worry about the internal wiring of the cart adding - they would have taken that into account when giving the recommended figure.
The spec for your preamp states that your input capacitance is a fixed 220pF.
As pointed out above, you're likely to be OK.
(Can certainly become an issue when people extend their signal lead).

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The TT I have is a project Classic, I'm using the Connect it e interconnect cable. This has a reading of 130pf, added to the 220 of the pre takes me over the recommended load. I'm now thinking about trying a different cable to get below 300. Will it have a detrimental effect on the sound quality if it's over 300.

Gray

Thanks for the replies. The TT I have is a project Classic, I'm using the Connect it e interconnect cable. This has a reading of 130pf, added to the 220 of the pre takes me over the recommended load. I'm now thinking about trying a different cable to get below 300. Will it have a detrimental effect on the sound quality if it's over 300.
I'm going to say no to your last question (when 50pF over).
But why not change the lead, get it nearer the middle of their range and see if you hear a difference?

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for your help Gray, I think my neurosis is getting the better of me. At the end of the day, I'm happy with the sound as is, I'll treat myself to a new preamp for Xmas and make sure it is lower than 220.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good pre in the £350 range. New or second hand. I'm thinking the Rega, G Slee or one from Project phono box ds2.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Cheers for your help Gray, I think my neurosis is getting the better of me. At the end of the day, I'm happy with the sound as is, I'll treat myself to a new preamp for Xmas and make sure it is lower than 220.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good pre in the £350 range. New or second hand. I'm thinking the Rega, G Slee or one from Project phono box ds2.
Thanks again.
It's not neurosis, makes perfect sense to follow a manufacturer's guidelines.
All those inputs on your Vena - shame one isn't a phono!
Not easy but it would be good if you could compare the sound of those preamps for yourself - none are likely to be bad, but there will still be a best for your system (and ears).

Reactions: Gonepostal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts