In search of the most suitable high end headphones.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on high end headphones.

I currently own a Chord Hugo and some Audeze LCDX and Grado RS1i. I like the physical lightness and excitement of the Grado, but like the warmth and depth of the Audeze.

Trouble is, I find the Audeze to be the better headphone but I just prefer wearing the Grados. They're really comfy and versatile to use anywhere in the house. The Audeze are more of a struggle to wear as they're heavy and they can fall off if you move your head quickly. They are truly luxurious headphones, but a little impractical for me, unless I sit still in an optimum position.

Also, I once owned the Grado GS1000i but found these just so bright, but liked the spacious sound. I did like their lightweight design, however.

Worth noting, I don't really fancy the Stax route due to the massive energisers on the desktop, and also the cost of the top models.

I noticed that Grado have introduced the new E range, and wondered whether the PS1000e would be perfect? Or, are they also nearly as heavy as the Audeze? What about any of the other new models?

Are there any other brands that you would recommend trying

Thanks.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
audiokid said:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on high end headphones.

I currently own a Chord Hugo and some Audeze LCDX and Grado RS1i. I like the physical lightness and excitement of the Grado, but like the warmth and depth of the Audeze.

Trouble is, I find the Audeze to be the better headphone but I just prefer wearing the Grados. They're really comfy and versatile to use anywhere in the house. The Audeze are more of a struggle to wear as they're heavy and they can fall off if you move your head quickly. They are truly luxurious headphones, but a little impractical for me, unless I sit still in an optimum position.

Also, I once owned the Grado GS1000i but found these just so bright, but liked the spacious sound. I did like their lightweight design, however.

Worth noting, I don't really fancy the Stax route due to the massive energisers on the desktop, and also the cost of the top models.

I noticed that Grado have introduced the new E range, and wondered whether the PS1000e would be perfect? Or, are they also nearly as heavy as the Audeze? What about any of the other new models?

Are there any other brands that you would recommend trying

Thanks.

There is a separate Headphones forum where you will get expert advice.

Chris

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Like you, I found Audeze's didn't work: something to do with the clamping force. I found Hifiman rather better in that respect. They're still heavy (and extremely well made), but they feel more comfortable. That's highly subjective, of course.

Being planar magnetic, they have a transparency that Sennheisers and Grados just don't have, IMO, and this is especially true at the top end.

It might also be worth trying the new Oppo PM-1s. They're also planar magnetic but they're about 100g lighter than the Audeze or Hifiman. I haven't tried them.

Matt

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank guys, I'll give the Senns a try.

I was listening to the Audeze again yesterday, they are just so good. They are softening up quite a lot, so are getting comfier all the time.

I may hunt for some used HD800 or 650 to do some longer term comparisons.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just to put my post into perspective Sennh are not my type of sound at all, Grados being better and top of the range Audio Technica being best dynamic headphones I've tried. However, even mid range Stax are just so effortless.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I am using alessandro grado ms pro for quite sometime before looking for a higher end headphone. I was comapring between Audeze, Beyer T1 and Senns HD800.

I ended up with T1... Audeze was too heavy for me and Senns was just not that revealing.

Do consider T1 as well in your demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts