In Retrospect . . . ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
davedotco said:
...I do not listen to music to relax, I listen to it to be excited.

An important statement. It suggests there are two 'camps' or two aspirations for what we'd want if building a system.

I would argue that a hi-fi should be able to do both. To help you relax and also be able to excite you, depending on the music you choose to accompany/enhance your mood. (Or change your mood if that's whats reqired.)

It shouldn't be problematic having a system that can soothe you as you flollop into your chair, with a beer (or a Horlicks), after a hard day that can also pick you up and energise and excite you when you need it to. It shouldn't be problematic for the same system to disappear whilst you submerge yourself in a radio drama or a comedy (as I know CJ likes to do) and not intrude on that 'suspension of reality' whether it's a fast paced thriller or something

I don't get the idea of 'chill out' systems and 'rock out' systems having to be different things.

I totally agree.

If the system is well put together, then it's the music that will relax or excite.

Interesting response, though I guess I should be clearer. I will try and rephase.

This really is not about the system, it is about the way I listen to music. I know people find this hard to grasp, but listening to music, any music is about engagement and excitement, it has nothing to do with the style of the music being played.

This is one reason I do not listen to music whilst driving, I just can't, I will probably crash because I am so distracted. similarly if I play something at home to listen to, it gets my full attention. Sure some music does not hold my attention, but an awful lot of stuff that you might consider relaxing does, so perhaps exciting is the wrong word. Can you imagine 'relaxing' during a live concert, I simply can't.

I often talk about music being reproduced with 'punch' and 'presence', this is primarily because I feel most mid market systems fail so badly in this respect. Musical instruments are powerful, visceral devices that are rarely reproduced convincingly, but i find that some types of system somehow capture that essence much better than others.

The point I was trying to make, poorly it seems, is that sometimes, the things that make the music sound real (to you) can come from very different styles of playback systems. My valve system for example does not sound 'warm' or 'musical' (in a hi fi sense) at all, it is tight, fast and totally engaging, whatever it is asked to play. Similarly the ADM9T system that I get to hear on occasion can sound remarkably real on some material, very different technologies but in some important respects the performance is very similar.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
I think I've suggested this before, but hey ho, here's another shout for panel speakers. They offer something quite different from box speakers. Not universally appealing, but certainly worth a listen. Some people find that once they've heard panels, nothing else will do.

Are you within reach of Hifi Lounge near Biggleswade? They stock Magneplanar and Martin Logan. The latter may be over budget.

Matt

Panels Matt . . . if only . . . many years ago, when I was making stands, I was aked to make a stand 'Foundation style' for Magneplaners, they turned an excelent panel in to a magic panel. Since then I have seen some of the so called 'stand offereings' for panels . . . ?*sad*

My room is not big enough and cluttered to boot, I did toy with the idea 6 months ago, but I have to be realistic on space, yes Biggleswade is within striking distance.

CJSF

matthewpiano

Here is a different idea for you....

Audionote speakers may be worth exploring. The AX-2s that I nearly bought earlier in the year were lovely speakers. I just couldn't afford them at the time, but they haven't been forgotten about and there is always time in the future.

Very natural, open, and involving sound and Audio Notes are designed with valve amplification in mind.

Quite different from most modern speakers but pretty special.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Here is a different idea for you....

Audionote speakers may be worth exploring. The AX-2s that I nearly bought earlier in the year were lovely speakers. I just couldn't afford them at the time, but they haven't been forgotten about and there is always time in the future.

Very natural, open, and involving sound and Audio Notes are designed with valve amplification in mind.

Quite different from most modern speakers but pretty special.

Found Audio Note, looks like they are in a bit of a time warp, speakers remind me of the old HB and Epos designs? . . . They are obviously valve oriented . . . my kind of people. My nearest dealer is Deco Audio in Aylesbury, part of my old stomping ground, a dealer I have wanted to visit, reading their website is facinating, new speakers, a good excuse.

However, having discussed these issues with Hazel, almost all dealers are 50+ miles away. She has said that I need to wait for the new 'automatic' car to arive, my left leg is a problem, cancelled out on a 50 mile each way drive yesterday! Plus she would like to come with me, the new car was selected for her comfort as well as my dodgy leg, she is disabled having a major back disformation. I value her input, those ears are good'uns.

I will be putting a short list together, working out a plan of action ready to impliment in the next 6 to 8 weeks???

Thanks all for your input, I know I go round the houses a bit, but it has been very focusing for me.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts