In need of some upgrade advice

DMorris

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Nearly two years ago I bought my first hifi setup, I opted for secondhand as I was on a very limited budget and I'm now at the point of thinking I should upgrade. I am hoping to do it gradually as I can't afford to go all out but I'm not sure whats best to do. I currently have a Denon PMA250SE amp, Mordaunt Short MS10 speakers, Sansui SR222-mkV turntable, Onkyo DS-A3 dock and a Marantz CD-63mk2 KI special CD player. I am happy with the dock and CD player and will maybe look at upgrading the turnable in a year or two.

I think it would make sense to upgrade the amp first but unsure what to get. I have been looking at getting a Marantz PM6004, NAD 326BEE or a Rotel RA-05 but this is only from doing some research online.

I've been listening to a lot of vinyl really which includes the Beatles, Johnny Cash, Queen, Black Keys, Pulp, Two Gallants and stuff like that. I'm at a complete loss so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Option 1: Take your old amp and old speakers along to a decent hifi dealer. Get a demo of old amp with several different speakers in your price bracket, and vice versa (old speakers, demo amps), decide which combo gives best results and buy.

Option 2: Get demo of best combos of amps and speakers at roughly twice your budget, and buy the amp first. Get the speakers (after new demo at the time in case models have changed) later when funds permit.

Dave

DMorris

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that Dave. I'd never thought of doing that and it sounds like a good option. I wasn't sure if I was best to go new or second hand. Constantly reading that you get more for your money if you buy second hand.

I like like my old amp but I just feel like a change as I'm getting more serious. The Nad amp seems to be leading the way with me as it gives an option to hook up a power amp and I think that would give me a different sound.

TRENDING THREADS