In need of new speakers...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently run a fairly old Arcam setup (Alpha 5 Amp and Alpha One CD player), with a Thorens TD 160 turntable and Royd The Minstrel speakers. Now, although this setup has served me well over the years, the dreaded "cone drop" that tends to affect the Royds has started to happen and the centre of the speaker is no rubbing on the core, making a lovely grating and scraping noise at anything above whispering level.

Now, as spectacularly good as they were way back when, they have always been a little bass light, even though they are superbly transparent (a little TOO bright for some ears.....). I used to run my Dads old Celestion Ditton 15's through a Goodmans Module 80 amp a while ago, but the amp went to heaven, so I bought a NAD 3020e and LOVED this set up with its hefty, warm bass rounded off by the amps sharpness. But this was all stolen in a break in, so had to claim insurance and got the set up I have now.

Now, the Celestions again are not to everyones taste, but they had a huge amount of bass power and a lovely warmth to their sound, but they tended to lose clarity and lacked sharpness. The Royds I have now are the other way round.

I was wondering if there were any speakers out there that would suit my system that would have the best of both worlds right now? My budget is tight at around £200 and I would prefer floorstanders as the house I live in is quite open plan and they need to fill this area..........

I checked Richer Sounds and they have a lot on special offer at the moment, but all their brands at my price have not had good reviews and I have struggled to have definitive reviews anywhere else on any other names. Mission obviously come to mind, but I have not been keen on their products in the past, but I am willing to be converted.

Can anyone help?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
£200 for Floorstand, sound like a 2nd hand purchase to me as I think floorstand at this low price point are not worth buying. Ruark Talisman 2 are very good and is now in that price point (was £900).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
£200 for Floorstand, sound like a 2nd hand
purchase to me as I think floorstand at this low price point are not
worth buying. Ruark Talisman 2 are very good and is now in that
price point (was £900).

[/quote]

Where would I make a second hand purchase of these speakers?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You can allways check out EBAY for some good deals on 2nd hand speakers but be carefull as 2nd hand speakers are only as good as the person who has had them so buy with caution and if this is the route you go down try and buy form someone local enough to hear the speakers in action before you part with your money. Otherwise why not try your local Av dealers say like Audio T to see if they have taken anything in part-ex that would suit your needs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]You can allways check out EBAY for some good
deals on 2nd hand speakers but be carefull as 2nd hand speakers are
only as good as the person who has had them so buy with caution and if
this is the route you go down try and buy form someone local enough to
hear the speakers in action before you part with your money. Otherwise
why not try your local Av dealers say like Audio T to see if they have
taken anything in part-ex that would suit your needs.[/quote]

I
agree, hence I thought I would go down the brand new route as 1) I
would like to hear them first and 2) you never know the condition you
are getting things in.

I have checked Audio T and
there are no retailers near me (I am in Cambridge), but there are a few
stores I can check for part-ex's.............

I feel I am going to have to do some research on this or I am going to have up up my budget somewhat.......

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="TheYeti"][quote user="Thaiman"]

£200 for Floorstand, sound like a 2nd hand purchase to me as I think floorstand at this low price point are not worth buying. Ruark Talisman 2 are very good and is now in that price point (was £900).

[/quote]

Where would I make a second hand purchase of these speakers?

[/quote]

Off my head, try Simon at Darlington's Hifisound (01325 241888)....nice man and WILLING to deal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts