In Ear Headphones up to £150.00

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a set of Senheisser CX300-II headphones with my Apple iPad, iPod and Phone.

I am currently looking to change these for a new pair of in ear buds probably up to about £150 maximum. I am ideally looking for a comfortable fit with a natural and good all round sound. Ideally they should be noise cancelling and obviously not leak sound out as they will be used for commuting, at the gym and generally around other people.

What suggestions can people make for in ear buds that fit this criteria?

Cheers

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
If it just for listening to music I would recomend keeping with Sennheiser! If you can get a pair of IE8 earphones go for them They are avalable for around £180 online. Otherwise go for the IE6 - basically the same but with out the bass adjustment.

On the other hand Shure do some fantasic earphones but personally I think the Sennheisers sound much betterin my opinion much more focussed and dynamic, however the shure's have much better icsolation and do have a much warmer softer sound if that is what you are after....

Neither will leak sound out though

I have both - I use my Sennheisers for my Iphone and listening to music, I use my shures as in ear monitors playing on stage in a band...

Hope this helps

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
umbucker said:
If it just for listening to music I would recomend keeping with Sennheiser! If you can get a pair of IE8 earphones go for them They are avalable for around £180 online. Otherwise go for the IE6 - basically the same but with out the bass adjustment. On the other hand Shure do some fantasic earphones but personally I think the Sennheisers sound much betterin my opinion much more focussed and dynamic, however the shure's have much better icsolation and do have a much warmer softer sound if that is what you are after.... Neither will leak sound out though I have both - I use my Sennheisers for my Iphone and listening to music, I use my shures as in ear monitors playing on stage in a band... Hope this helps

Thanks umbucker,

I do like the CX300 II's I just wondered if I could do better. They are mainly used if im in the gym, if im on the train, on holiday or if im listening at home with the other half sat on the sofa :doh:

I do have a pair of Grado SR80i's which are excellent for on my own listening...but leak sound like anything.

I may look out for a pair if IE6 or Shure's.....but probably wont gain much for the amount of use they get.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Managed to get hold of a pair of IE6 at a good price and thought I would get them to compare to the CX300II's. I'm sure they will be an improvement over these bearing in mind the IE6 are considerably more expensive if not I'm sure I will be able to get rid of them without losing anything.

Any other users of the IE6 on here? How do you find them for use with portable devices?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The klipsch x10i has come down to your price level. Its a no brainer in my opinion.

I have them myself and I am in love with them! Also rated best in ear by WHF for something like 3 years in a row

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys, but I have managed to get hold off a pair of IE6 for a good price, which I want to try out first (I like the Sennheiser sound for their in ears).

If for some reason I don't like these I will sell them on and probably try the B&W's or Klipsch (although I must say the Klipsch don't look the most attractive :? )

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
The IE6's arrived today.....excellent packaging and a very good storage box (although probably a bit large to be functional on a day to day basis, but very good for storing all the bits and bobs the IE6's come with).

Initial impressions are excellent and they are a definate and positive improvement over the CX300II's out of the box.....not sure if they require a burn in period and hence will get better.....if they do then that's a real positive, because they are already a cracking in-ear phone.

Good selection of two types of ear plug to ensure a good and snug fit (currently using the flanged medium ones), very comfortable in the ear (in fact I hardly know I am wearing them) and love the fact that they are an over the ear style, which I think makes for a better and more comfortable fit.

Also the biggest improvement I have noticed is that there is no feedback from the cable, the CX300II's are really bad if you tap the cable....none of that with the IE6 :)

Soundwise....they seem to provide a solid sound....initial impressions are that vocals are excellent and very clear....bass is solid but not overpowering and no hint of the treble becoming to forward.

All in all....I can really recommend the IE6 and will definately be using these on a regular basis

A

Anonymous

Sticking cotton wool in your ears would be an improvement on the CX300-IIs - they are a pile of shite.

Personally, I use the recently launched Hifiman RE272s - absolute bargain at £170, for the quality of sound they provide.

But they're not a brand anyone here will recommend, as they are not a known entity.

Am sure the IE6 are a massive upgrade on those Senns though - enjoy.

Go to head-fi.org for research in future, when the upgrade itch bites (which it will).

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bennyboy71 said:
Sticking cotton wool in your ears would be an improvement on the CX300-IIs - they are a pile of shite.

Personally, I use the recently launched Hifiman RE272s - absolute bargain at £170, for the quality of sound they provide.

But they're not a brand anyone here will recommend, as they are not a known entity.

Am sure the IE6 are a massive upgrade on those Senns though - enjoy.

Go to head-fi.org for research in future, when the upgrade itch bites (which it will).

The CX300II's aren't that bad and they were certainly a big improvement over the standard apple earphones (not hard I know). I liked the CX300II's but felt I could do better....sepecially with the feedback noise you get when you tap the cable.

I was right, I'm loving the IE6's......they sound amazing with vocals and the bass is very solid. They are also the most comfortable pair of in ears I have ever owned, so much so I hardly know I am wearing them.

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
im looking for some headphones looked at the Bowers and wilkins c5 but not sure, i currently have bose ie2 i think there fantastic but they dont isolate noise and lack bass in my oppinion.

thanks, dave

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
not after bass after clarity, not to sure, might save up and get them klipsch's

dont know if the differnce is really worth it though, thanks anyway

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Dave2860 said:
im looking for some headphones looked at the Bowers and wilkins c5 but not sure, i currently have bose ie2 i think there fantastic but they dont isolate noise and lack bass in my oppinion.

thanks, dave

NOt sure how much you're looking to spend but I can also recommend the IE6 from Sennheiser....the clarity is excellent and they have a good bass response (but not over the top), the fit well and are comfortable (the cable wrap over the back of the ears....a bit like the shure ones) and stay put in the ears. They isolate outside noise really well and dont eak sound out either.

they dont have the alterable bass like the IE8's do....but they can be picked up for a good price :)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Dave, I replaced some worn out Bose (IE2 style, but older) with the Klipsch X10i. The Klipsch are a big improvement and isolate sound really well.

Not as bass heavy as the Senns but very clear and balanced.

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
not to sure on the sens, ive narrowed it down to either

B&W C5

Beyerdynamic MMX 101ie

Etymotic hf3

I like clean vocals and bass extention, thanks

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Dave2860 said:
not after bass after clarity, not to sure, might save up and get them klipsch's

dont know if the differnce is really worth it though, thanks anyway

Sorry :) think I got my wires crossed slightly.

Anyway, I upgraded from the IE6 to the IE8's and I am so glad I did. Don't get me wrong the IE6 is a very capable set of headphones - light, reasonably compact with good levels of detail and bass. However the IE8 is a cut above. From right out of the box they just blew me away. More detail, better midrange and a soundstage a mile wide. The adjustable bass dial is very useful indeed as you can dial in just the right amount for your own personal taste. OK they are'nt quite as easy to wear as the IE6 as they are significantly bigger but until they wear out I have no intention of replacing them.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
I 'm in the market for an in-ear upgrade and i've read this thread with interest. I'm looking for a fairly neutral sounding earphone that isn't bass heavy and has good clarity. It'll be used with an IPOD touch and a wide range in music. Plus I'll be using them daily but also down the gym so I'm wanting a pair with good coatings on the cables to stop them wearing out. This has hapened on my Shure's. I've narrowed my choices down to the folowing but of course I'm open to suggestions:

Clarity one -these maybe a bit bass heavy from what I've read

Etymotic HF5 & HF3 - These seem to be more in line with my requirements but can't really find out what the difference is between them

Beyerynamic 101ie - Based from the What hi-fi award. This may also be bass heavy for me and possible cable problems (coating wearing out)

B&W C5 - Mixed reviews on these but these could be up there.

From what I've read the Etymotic's and the B&W's maybe the best for my requirements, but does anyone have any other advice / suggestions?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hi guys, I'm currently using a set of Senheisser CX300-II headphones with my Apple iPad, iPod and Phone. I am currently looking to change these for a new pair of in ear buds probably up to about £150 maximum. I am ideally looking for a comfortable fit with a natural and good all round sound. Ideally they should be noise cancelling and obviously not leak sound out as they will be used for commuting, at the gym and generally around other people. What suggestions can people make for in ear buds that fit this criteria? Cheers
have you thought about the senheisser cx980i? I have a pair and it's great, looks the part too :) and its within your budget

SteveR750

Another disappointed CX300 II owner here. One note and veiled treble is their biggest failing, though seem dynamic and bassy enough when they are fitted correctly. No better than the £10 Koss Buds that I had though, and at 3 times the price no upgrade.

I was thinking of the DTX101 as they are around £65 on amazon, but I'd like something of a similar quallity as my Grado SR80s (Yes I know they are openh back etc, am talking relative quality), but what else is out there at bargain prices? I'm only going to use them for listening to spotify and mp3 tracks on my phone (a samnsung GS2) when flying on overseas business trips so not for critical listening by any means. The other consideration is sensitivity, the GS2 like most devices is volume limited, so anyuthing less than 110dB / 1mW is not going to cut it. (The CX300 are 113 dB/1mW)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts