In a Dilemma.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi there guys..
I'm new here, and this is my first post. Hope to get some insight or advice from you people who know your stuff re HIFI equipment.
I'm looking to upgrade my 20 year old Marantz Integrated Amplifier and B&W Bookshelf speakers. I've decided I'll stick with the B&W
brand of speakers, but I'm not sure whether to go for a Rega Amp. Has anybody had any experience of Rega at all? I'm told by the guy
who"s shop I went to today, that they are a very good brand, but I'm not sure what to do. I like the look of the Roksan Integrated Amp..
the Caspian M2, but never bought Roksan before, so am wanting any feedback from anyone who has or has had either a Rega Integrated
Amp or a Roksan, and what they think of them. All feedback and advice will be welcome. Thanks in advance. :)

doifeellucky

If you can, even though it might seem like a bit of a pain, take what you already have in and compare it. Only way to be sure. Try other speaker brands too. Ideally have a home demo. About 25 years ago I took my budget separates in to a dealer and compared against gear that totalled about three times the price. For whatever reason I didn’t hear enough of a difference to justify the cost and was happy my existing setup was more than good enough. Spending more doesn’t always mean better if your components work well together. You can’t just put a set of WHF award winners together and expect great results. It’s not that simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edbostan and Gray

Dom

Hi there.

I can't tell you about the Rega amp, but what I can tell you is the Roksan Caspian M2 is a fantastic amplifier, just be aware that there are 2 versions. One with 3.15 amp IEC mini fuse and 2 amp versions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I would agree with @Dom the Roksan is an excellent amplifier if it has all that you require in the way of inputs as you don't mention what you are going to be using as sources so please note the Caspian does not have an inbuilt phono stage for a turntable.
Also you don't mention which model of Rega amplifier.
Auditioning is the key, however if you can't and I was in your position my money would be on the Caspian as I have owned Roksan amps in the past (Nothing against Rega its just I have never owned one so don't know what synergy it would have with B&W speakers)

Gray

Has anybody had any experience of Rega at all? I'm told by the guy
who"s shop I went to today, that they are a very good brand
You can be sure that a dealer will say that a brand he sells, is a good one. Yes, Rega is a good brand (I worked there, QC testing amps for a while). But plenty of brands are good.
Also, being 20 years old doesn't necessarily make your Marantz amp worse than anything new that you can buy.
Don't be afraid to ask about the possibility of a home loan from a dealer. Listening to an amp with your speakers, in your room is the best thing you can do.
There's an old phrase that says, "Let your dealer guide and your ears decide"
Place much more importance on the latter.

It would help if we knew what source(s) you use. CD, LP, streaming, FM radio?

While I admire your loyalty to a speaker brand, designs have changed significantly in two decades. What you liked back then, isn’t what you’ll get today. Just listen to some suggestions from your dealer, or those that you like the idea of from checking out the reviews in the main WHF site here.

Lastly, what is your budget?

Last edited:

Gray

....Also, you say you're looking to upgrade.
Tell us what it is that you think could be better for you (you can always buy different. But you need to ensure any difference is actually an improvement).

Are your speakers currently on stands?

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi there guys..
I'm new here, and this is my first post. Hope to get some insight or advice from you people who know your stuff re HIFI equipment.
I'm looking to upgrade my 20 year old Marantz Integrated Amplifier and B&W Bookshelf speakers. I've decided I'll stick with the B&W
brand of speakers, but I'm not sure whether to go for a Rega Amp. Has anybody had any experience of Rega at all? I'm told by the guy
who"s shop I went to today, that they are a very good brand, but I'm not sure what to do. I like the look of the Roksan Integrated Amp..
the Caspian M2, but never bought Roksan before, so am wanting any feedback from anyone who has or has had either a Rega Integrated
Amp or a Roksan, and what they think of them. All feedback and advice will be welcome. Thanks in advance. :)
Just because it is old don't believe newer carnations sound better. Hi-Fi separates were well sorted years ago.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
If you can, even though it might seem like a bit of a pain, take what you already have in and compare it. Only way to be sure. Try other speaker brands too. Ideally have a home demo. About 25 years ago I took my budget separates in to a dealer and compared against gear that totalled about three times the price. For whatever reason I didn’t hear enough of a difference to justify the cost and was happy my existing setup was more than good enough. Spending more doesn’t always mean better if your components work well together. You can’t just put a set of WHF award winners together and expect great results. It’s not that simple.
Forty years ago I had Technics Amp and Technics CD player partnered with Wharfedale Teesdale SP2 speakers and have never achieved the satisfaction I had with that combo. Wish I never sold them

I am finding it hard to find a modern-day equivalent.
I suspect there isn’t one because the design and sound isn’t really to modern tastes. There are a few models with a warmer sound - the new Lintons may be one - but slim designs rule the roost, other than the BBC heritage designs from the likes of Harbeth, and the resurrected US designs from JBL and Klipsch.

I looked up the dimensions in case memory was escaping me and the new Lintons are almost the same size as the Glendale.

I suspect there isn’t one because the design and sound isn’t really to modern tastes. There are a few models with a warmer sound - the new Lintons may be one - but slim designs rule the roost, other than the BBC heritage designs from the likes of Harbeth, and the resurrected US designs from JBL and Klipsch.
I note with interest the Wilmslow Audio are happily producing speakers and speaker kits along the lines of Heybrook HB1 and 2 models so maybe, with enough demand they may one day produce other classics rekindled

I looked up the dimensions in case memory was escaping me and the new Lintons are almost the same size as the Glendale.
Yup. Although from my experience of those Dentons, the sound only HINTS at a retro sound.
It's tricky because the only way to get a true retro sound is to buy a vintage pair from the era. As we know buying stuff that's 30+ years old is a real gamble.

Reactions: nopiano

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I note with interest the Wilmslow Audio are happily producing speakers and speaker kits along the lines of Heybrook HB1 and 2 models so maybe, with enough demand they may one day produce other classics rekindled
I have considered the HB1 kit but I would like a listen first. When I spoke to Wilmslow they had no demo models to listen to

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

The wide baffle of that range of speakers is shared by the latest Lintons. The slimmer baffles which are the latest trend must give a different sound signature

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts