Impulse Purchase: HD650

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I had been a bit down on Sennheiser's and was looking at selling my HD595s, but feeling the need for a change I plugged them into my bedside system rather than my office system and began to really enjoy the relaxed open nature of them. Maybe Sennheiser deserved another chance I thought.

At a later date I wandered around the headphone section with my iPod trying out various cans. Tried the HD650s, but found them too dark and laid back. Wondered what all the fuss was about, but was prepared to consider that the iPod classic wouldn't drive them properly. Went back again and tried them with a Pioneer U-05, and was mightily impressed. All the things I was enjoying about my 595s, but more. More space. More detail. More natural. So when a 2nd hand pair popped up at a good price I nabbed them. Due to arrive tomorrow. I think I'll enjoy having them in my line up. My biggest worry is how diry the pads might be because they are 2nd hand :)

Anyway, I will try to provide impressions once I've had them for a while.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Good purchase indeed. Your comment about the slightly dark sound signature is akin to my own findings.

I've not heard the pioneer u-05 but can imagine the Sennheisers work well with slightly lean or fast sounding sources and amplifiers. They do need amplification imo. Have fun!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Cheers. I have a FUBAR IV for my bedside system and a NuForce Icon HDP at my desk, so hopefully they should get significantly more out of them than the headphone output of my iPod.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Paulq said:
Is there anywhere on the High St where you can demo these? Having read so much about them I have always wanted some but have never heard them.

Thanks.

Richer sounds stock them if there's one near you. Possibly other places too.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
pauln said:
Paulq said:
Is there anywhere on the High St where you can demo these? Having read so much about them I have always wanted some but have never heard them.

Thanks.

Richer sounds stock them if there's one near you. Possibly other places too.

Interesting what is possible to audition in various places. I'm in Japan and all of the big electrical retailers have huge sections where you can audition tons of headphones as well as a number of amps and DACs. With increasing sales of headphones, probably driven by the growth of the portables market and phones, hopefully the UK will also have more places where you can try them out.

On the other hand, try discussing with a dealer here the possibility of auditioning kit like amps or speakers at home and they'll look at you as if you are crazy.

Enjoying them so far. Lovely sense of space. A bit dark and warm (the Sennheiser "veil") but a really easy listen. I think they work well with all types of music, although the mid range really shines with acoustic and classical.

TRENDING THREADS