Improving TV sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am finding it increasingly difficult to hear speech in films etc. Studio-based programmes ae no problem. I am buying a Samsung LE32D580 tv and require a system to improve the sound - speech is the main need and I do not play CDs etc. I am very restricted on space to a 32" tv stand - no room for large speakers. Is a 32" Sharp soundbar any good? I might have room for a compact amplifier and bookshelf speakers. All suggestions welcome.

A

Anonymous

As I am only wanting to improve TV speech, I am hoping for £200 max. From what I have read, small soundbars are not much of an improvement, so I am now tending towards amplier and bookshelf speakers.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Q Acoustics Q-TV?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-q-tv2

Over your ideal budget but if space is at a premium...

Or for half the price, AudioEngine's A2 powered speakers.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Audioengine-A2/

T

the record spot

thebard said:
As I am only wanting to improve TV speech, I am hoping for £200 max. From what I have read, small soundbars are not much of an improvement, so I am now tending towards amplier and bookshelf speakers.

You might snag a pair of Pioneer DS7 active speakers, which have standard phono and optical inputs plus an onboard DAC. Looks-wise, they're not so domestic in appearance, but soundwise, they're very good. Heard some in Edinburhg a year or so back and I was impressed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for suggestions. Sound-wise, are active speakers better than an amplifier/speaker combination? Now everything has arrived, I would have space for even a substantial amplifier on a lower tv stand shelf. The tv I have bought (Samsung LE32D580) has something called an optical digital output which, I understand, gives superior reproduction.

Sorry for questions, but I am 30 years out of date on hi-fi matters!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If you have the space it would probably be worth considering a multi-channel all-in one setup. Then (assuming the broadcast/TV supports it) you could boost just the centre speech channel while leaving everything else at a lower level. Could be a much better solution that having everything louder in stereo where speech may still be lost. Something like this would fall within your budget:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/samsung-ht-x30

Obviously this is entry level & you can spend much more. As ever, going second hand would yield better value for the same spend.

A

Anonymous

As I only require a system to improve tv sound, a complete system would be wasted.

Is an amplifier/speaker system better that active speakers?

I have been looking at Pioneer A-109 and Cambridge Topaz AM5 amplifiers and Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 or JBL Control 1 speakers. Any thoughts?

Should I go for digital audio input?

A

Anonymous

As I only require a system to improve tv sound, a complete system would be wasted.

I have been looking at Pioneer A-109 and Cambridge Topaz AM5 amplifiers and Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 or JBL Control 1 speakers. Any thoughts?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
thebard said:
Not really because it allows you to do exactly what you want to do. If you really don't want a DVD player then there are systems out there without one. You also don't necessarily have to use the rear channels if you don't want to.

thebard said:
Either can produce good results.

thebard said:
Your TV only appears to have a digital output. This again makes the surround system a better alternative IMO as not many stereo amps have a digital input. So if you just go for stereo you will need to either use the headphone socket or hope the SCART outputs audio.

As I said before, you may well find that with stereo you still struggle to hear voices because everything else will be louder. Can you hook up your existing stereo to see how that sounds?

A

Anonymous

I don't actually have a hi-fi system. As I said, my experience is 30 years out of date. My last system was based on a Garrard cantilever deck, Leak amplifier, Philips receiver and Grundig speakers - cutting edge at the time!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a Richer Sounds local? Maybe they can set up a quick comparison for you so you can hear the difference between stereo & a boosted centre channel in a 5.1 system. Just make sure you tell them you budget is absolute & don't let them show you stuff over it.

If you're feeling brave, you could try the same with a large Currys/Comet as long as you go in expecting to be fed BS.

I don't think there's any point suggesting a "proper" dealer as they're unlikely to carry low-end stuff.

Edit

Just had a quick look at the manual for your TV & there appears to be lots of audio settings to play with, especially:

Samsung said:
Additional Setting
Samsung said:
DTV Audio Level (MPEG / HE-AAC): (digital channels only) This function allows you to reduce the disparity of a voice signal (which is one of the signals received during a digital TV broadcast) to a desired level. NN According to the type of broadcast signal, MPEG / HE-AAC can be adjusted between -10dB and 0dB. To increase or decrease the volume, adjust between the range 0 and -10 respectively.
There's also apparently a Clear Voice setting as well as a five-band EQ. I take it you've already experimented with these?

A

Anonymous

I tried the clear voice setting which was very good - extremely clear - in a studio setting only. Otherwise sound so bad I thought I had changed the settings, a real 'soup'. Not sre what other settings you mention mean.

I have just bought a pair of Q Acoustic 2010 speakers cheap in Best Buy's clearance sale, amplifier will have to wait until after Christmas, possibly Pioneer A-109 unless you recommend differently.

A

Anonymous

I tried the clear voice setting which was very good - extremely clear - in a studio setting only. Otherwise sound so bad I thought I had changed the settings, a real 'soup'. Not sre what other settings you mention mean.

I have just bought a pair of Q Acoustic 2010 speakers cheap in Best Buy's clearance sale, amplifier will have to wait until after Christmas, possibly Pioneer A-109 unless you recommend differently.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
As you've already bought the speakers I'd be inclined to suggest an AV receiver rather than a stereo amp for two reasons:

It will have the necessary digital input to save messing around with the headphone socket or SCART.

If it still doesn't solve your problem in stereo mode, you can add a third speaker to give you the dedicated centre/speech channel I was talking about with a 5.1 all-in-one.

Something like the Sony STRDH520 is only £150 from Richer Sounds. Because of the way AV receivers are constantly updated with new features, you could probably pick up a used receiver for peanuts.

A

Anonymous

Took your advice and started looking on Ebay. Lost out on Sony STR-DG500 but have bid for STR-DB930 and watching Yamaha RXV363 - any good? Not knowing market difficult to decide max bid to put in.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm completely out of touch with AV but Sony & Yamaha make perfectly decent receivers, so you can't go too far wrong. The crucial thing is to ensure that anything you buy has a two channel stereo mode. I'm pretty sure most will but maybe download the manual for anything you're considering to be sure.

AV amps depreciate much faster than stereo so you should be able to get something not too old for not much cash. Don't forget to check Gumtree for local deals you can go & see in the flesh.

There's an AV Receivers forum here where you'll get more meaningful advice than I can offer:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/av-receivers-3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts