IMPEDANCE AND SPEAKER SETTINGS FOR SONY 5400 and MA RX6 AV

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I have a SONY 5400 amp, which is currently being installed. The manual recommends changing the speaker settings depending on the impedance of the speakers. If the impedance of the speakers are 8 ohms or more, there is an 8 ohm setting. If the impedance is below 8 ohms, there is a 4 ohm setting. My problem is that the front channels and the center speaker are 6 ohms and I have radius HD90's at the rear which are 8 ohms. What to do? Thanks for your assistance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What with this and your previous post, these installers don't sound very good. Are they CORGI registered...?
emotion-3.gif

(BTW, tell them to use the 8ohm setting, and that the red terminal for the speakers is the positive, and the black one the negative)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
What with this and your previous post, these installers don't sound very good. Are they CORGI registered...?
emotion-3.gif

(BTW, tell them to use the 8ohm setting, and that the red terminal for the speakers is the positive, and the black one the negative)

Thats where I am going wrong, guessing the wiring works...........sometimes.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

emotion-3.gif

Thanks Andrew. I need your honest advice. As you can uderstand I am not particularly impressed with the installers. I live in South Africa by the way. As you may have seen from my other post, they previously installed B&W684 , HTM-61 , M-1, ASW610XP. I was unhappy with the sound and decided to upgrade to the MA RX6 speaker package. The difference in price was not insubstantial. I have taken great care in using only the finest cables I could afford. It has subsequenlty transpired that the B&W speaker packages was connected with standard run of the mill rca's for sound. Had the system been installed correctly ie via quality hdmi only, maybe I would have been happy with the B&Ws and no upgrade/epense would have been necessary? Do you think that it would be reasonable to deduct the cost of the installation from the amount that I owe for the upgrade?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Absolutely reasonable, and while the MA speakers are excellent, I can't help thinking you would have been satisfied with your original set-up had it been installed correctly. I assume they are using proper speaker cables. too?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
My family's moto comes to mind here:

'If you want a work done properly..........do it yourself!!'

These 'installers'............they wear hats, and have a gun holster, by any chance?
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BJB:Andrew Everard:

emotion-3.gif

Thanks Andrew. I need your honest advice. As you can uderstand I am not particularly impressed with the installers. I live in South Africa by the way. As you may have seen from my other post, they previously installed B&W684 , HTM-61 , M-1, ASW610XP. I was unhappy with the sound and decided to upgrade to the MA RX6 speaker package. The difference in price was not insubstantial. I have taken great care in using only the finest cables I could afford. It has subsequenlty transpired that the B&W speaker packages was connected with standard run of the mill rca's for sound. Had the system been installed correctly ie via quality hdmi only, maybe I would have been happy with the B&Ws and no upgrade/epense would have been necessary? Do you think that it would be reasonable to deduct the cost of the installation from the amount that I owe for the upgrade?

You do realise that for a start, you wouldn't have heard HD audio through your BD player using coaxial with the B&W speakers? I would install it yourself - it's easy with a little help from people on here and reading the manual.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Absolutely reasonable, and while the MA speakers are excellent, I can't help thinking you would have been satisfied with your original set-up had it been installed correctly. I assume they are using proper speaker cables. too?

Thanks again. I thought that's what you might have said. I supplied all the cables. Chord Carnival Silver Screen Bi-wires in the front and standard silver screen for the rears. Well, at least I have not paid yet for the upgrade.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:BJB:Andrew Everard:

emotion-3.gif

You do realise that for a start, you wouldn't have heard HD audio through your BD player using coaxial with the B&W speakers? I would install it yourself - it's easy with a little help from people on here and reading the manual.

Thanks Gerard. In retrospect I should have installed myself. The original idea was to pay for a professional installation and to save time. Anyway so far, so good. I will post again if I have any further questions.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Maybe arrived on horseback too??
emotion-3.gif

Not quite. But what I will say is that they arrived 45 minutes late bacause they couldn't find my address..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts