IKEA tv/hifi stand suitable or too hot?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Im in the process of choosing a tv and will need a tv stand to go with it. I want to house my hifi equipment in this also. I have seen something that looks decent in IKEA http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/tv-media-benches/best%C3%A5-tv-bench-with-doors-black-brown-valviken-dark-brown-clear-glass-spr-09140256/ .

I am concerned that not enough ventilation will get to the amp, and it might end up getting too hot. I may have the option of building it up without the back panel, to allow for more air flow.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on whether thi cabinet will be any good or not, and if the amp will get hot?

Also, does anybody have any other suggestions for a tv/hifi cabinet?

Many thanks.

:)

It should be fine. Just don't use the back panel. You can use something like this for additional ventilation:

5Pcs-Lot-300-80mm-Aluminum-Air-Vent-font-b-Ventilator-b-font-Grille-For-Closet-Shoe.jpg

D

Deleted member 108165

radiorog said:
Hi folks,

Im in the process of choosing a tv and will need a tv stand to go with it. I want to house my hifi equipment in this also. I have seen something that looks decent in IKEA http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/tv-media-benches/best%C3%A5-tv-bench-with-doors-black-brown-valviken-dark-brown-clear-glass-spr-09140256/ .

I am concerned that not enough ventilation will get to the amp, and it might end up getting too hot. I may have the option of building it up without the back panel, to allow for more air flow.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on whether thi cabinet will be any good or not, and if the amp will get hot?

Also, does anybody have any other suggestions for a tv/hifi cabinet?

Many thanks.

:)

How hot does your amp usually get? I have something similar but it has an open front. Unless you've got a class a or valve amp I reckon you'll be fine. The only problem for me is that they don't state the inner dimensions of the unit, 1800mm in three compartments mean you'll have less than 600mm wide per compartment, probably closer to 550mm, so things could get a little tight if you have a full size amp. Also look out for the depth too as you may need to leave off or butcher the back panel to connect all the wires. Back panels on this kind of furniture are normally the only thing that keeps it square and rigid so I would be inclined to cut some holes with a hole cutter or jigsaw. What does your user manual state about minimum air space around your kit?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The width of these units normally isn't the problem, it's the depth. They are 400mm deep, which by the time you take into account the door thickness and space for the back panel you have about 360-380mm inside to play around with. Measure the depth of your amplifier and allow extra for cables and power leads.

D

Deleted member 108165

tino said:
The width of these units normally isn't the problem, it's the depth. They are 400mm deep, which by the time you take into account the door thickness and space for the back panel you have about 360-380mm inside to play around with. Measure the depth of your amplifier and allow extra for cables and power leads.

You are spot-on Tino, it is the depth where the problem normally lies. I got the dimensions of my own unit wrong, it's 1200mm, not 1800.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts