If you were to spend 200-250 pounds on a DAC

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If you were to spend 200-250 pounds on a DAC what one would you get. It is for use in a hi-fi set up as opposed to a headphone amp for mobile type one. I don't mind about streaming/wireless etc as I have that covered, but it does need to have a USB connection that allows me to plug in my laptop. Thanks

muljao said:
If you were to spend 200-250 pounds on a DAC what one would you get. It is for use in a hi-fi set up as opposed to a headphone amp for mobile type one. I don't mind about streaming/wireless etc as I have that covered, but it does need to have a USB connection that allows me to plug in my laptop. Thanks

The Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber would be on my list and its only around £140 or the Musical Fidelity V90.

You might also look for something second hand on eBay or the like.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:

The Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber would be on my list and its only around £140 or the Musical Fidelity V90.

You might also look for something second hand on eBay or the like.

Thanks. I will look into those suggestions

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
chebby said:
If I were to buy another 'stand-alone' DAC then it would be a Beresford Caiman ...

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/7534gfu.htm

(£179.99 + VAT so well within the OP's budget and has USB along with TosLink and co-ax.)

I had excellent performance from their TC-7520 DAC years ago.

That unit looks the business. I'll research this a bit more. On another note, how do you rate the quad vena?

Enjoying it a great deal thanks.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
muljao said:
steve_1979 said:
NJC Audio Reference DAC

(It's for both hifi and headphones)

Can't find a price on this DAC, but with the fact it's built to order it could be ten times my budget. What does it retail at? Thanks

Yes sorry my mistake. I misread your first post. The NJC is over budget at £375.

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus would be my choice at your price range.

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
I might be tempted to wait for the new Abrahamsen and slum it with any old rubbish like a Behringer (or, indeed, nothing) until then.

If you only need the minimum of facilities, the Schiit brand mentioned above would be a good choice.

Audibly transparent, no nonsense design, the Modi 2 (usb-analogue only) is just £95, buy direct from Electromod, Mark (who runs it) is an engineer and largely bulsh!t free.

You can then save your money for some overhyped designer twaddle at a later date, excuse my cynicisn...*dirol*

davedotco said:
thewinelake. said:
I might be tempted to wait for the new Abrahamsen and slum it with any old rubbish like a Behringer (or, indeed, nothing) until then.

If you only need the minimum of facilities, the Schiit brand mentioned above would be a good choice.

Audibly transparent, no nonsense design, the Modi 2 (usb-analogue only) is just £95, buy direct from Electromod, Mark (who runs it) is an engineer and largely bulsh!t free.

You can then save your money for some overhyped designer twaddle at a later date, excuse my cynicisn...*dirol*

Quite so ;-)

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
But the OP WANTS to spend £200+! Who are any of us to deny him that pleasure? It could even be that the act of paying more leads to a heightened sense of enjoyment - a kind of audio placebo.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
But the OP WANTS to spend £200+! Who are any of us to deny him that pleasure? It could even be that the act of paying more leads to a heightened sense of enjoyment - a kind of audio placebo.

Not necessarily. I would go to 250 if required, I'm not even sure where that number came from, probably saw few dacs in the review section and anything that looked good for me started at around this.

Less is better, but only if it's a quality product ;)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:
The modi uber at 140 seems to tick all the boxes, now if only it was in stock

That's a pity, it must be popular. I should have checked that. It would appear ElectroMods have nothing in stock....

I'll wait a week and see if it's back. It looks like the U/S site will ship international, I'll see how currency shipping and import taxes finish the total price.

If it's to much I'll look at another option. Thanks all again for the information

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
muljao said:
Patience got the better of me. I'm going for a Beresford Caiman mk ii. Thanks for the input everyone

Good choice, I don't think you'll be disappointed. In the unlikely event of your new Caiman having any problems, you'll find Stan Beresford an excellent person to deal with, buy with confidence.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
DIB said:
muljao said:
Patience got the better of me. I'm going for a Beresford Caiman mk ii. Thanks for the input everyone

Good choice, I don't think you'll be disappointed. In the unlikely event of your new Caiman having any problems, you'll find Stan Beresford an excellent person to deal with, buy with confidence.

Thanks. You obviously have this one. You obviously rate it as quite good.

Yes, I emailed Stan Beresford today and got a reply in about an hour. I think that is quite excellent

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I won't be comparing any other DAC in a blind test. These items are like hens teeth here, I'd be surprised if I could even go into a shop within 100 miles of where I live and actually buy a DAC.

I'm probably a bit out of my depth on this forum, my knowledge and ear are not as tuned. I'm confident that if I get suggestions here within my budget that they'll be more than good enough for me.

I will be ordering this Tuesday as I'm away until then

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts