If you could resurrect some piece of hifi technology from the past...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My dad had an electric gramophone (which only played 78s) with an enormous papier-mâché horn. The tone arm took Toblerone-shaped needles sharpened using a pair of scissors with a Toblerone-shaped hole for the purpose. Bring 'em back.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Macspur said:
Heybrook HB1 speakers and the mini disc which I still use regularly.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

You can still have HB1s with the exact same drivers from Wilmslow Audio, but it'll cost you a grand (inc VAT) if you want them to have them made and fitted out, veneered and varnished. (Rather than do the DIY build yourself.)

I looked into the idea but bought Audio Note AX-Twos for £750 instead.

I do also have a mint condition pair of JPW Sonatas with NOS tweeters fitted. (My spare speakers.) They only cost about £40 + £15 for new tweeters. (Inc fitting and soldering.)

Lovely sounds.

Hmmm it's a thought, but I'd be worried they don't sound as good as I remember... I used to love the audibly transparrent foam like covers that were held on with Velcro.

I would have held on to them for longer than I did, but they got knocked around in a burglery.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Homes like this for putting your hi-fi and family in:

134498.jpg

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd revive the blunderbuss and load it with rose tinted reminiscing and shoot it into the night sky. I seriously wouldn't want to bring a thing back except for my hearing.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
I'd revive the blunderbuss and load it with rose tinted reminiscing and shoot it into the night sky. I seriously wouldn't want to bring a thing back except for my hearing.

Serves you right for riding a bloody Jota, then, don't it?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
what would it be and why?

I'd like to resurrect my hearing back to 100%. Why? Because top end hi-fi isn't any use to me. I am sure I am missing out on lots of overdubs, cymbals etc.

Spot on! I'm 62 but my my hearing is still reasonable so am luckier than many.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Technics SL110 deck

with SME 9" arm & detachable headshell or maybe the later model in black with plugin arm & shell. I had various cartridges from a V15 MkIII, Dynovector 10x2 through to a high output mc Satin M117E.

As someone who is contemplating buying the new Rega P3, i doubt if the Technics comes close to SQ by an order of magnitude. The Golden Age of records is probably now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts