If you could resurrect some piece of hifi technology from the past...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
what would it be and why?

This could be a format, e.g. minidisc, or just a piece of kit.

Personally, I'd like to see modern Mission 753 speakers. Beautifully made cabinets, with at the time lauded sounding speakers. Maybe, just maybe, with new drivers and crossovers to bring them 30 years forward, but certainly the cabinetry was superb.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Proper 2 way JBL 15 inch 'bin and horn' systems from the early 70s. Like these...

l200.jpg

And the room to put them in.....

Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:
I'd like them to start making the Mk 2 version of the Technics 1200 again. I'd buy one in an instant.

Like your thinking. I think an up to date SP10 using their new motor drive system without all the superfluous bling of the latest 1200.
I had been thinking 1200/1210 too, but thought they are in effect making that again. We haven't seen the regular version yet, I don't believe, just the fancy launch edition, as you say Al.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:
I'd like them to start making the Mk 2 version of the Technics 1200 again. I'd buy one in an instant.

Like your thinking. I think an up to date SP10 using their new motor drive system without all the superfluous bling of the latest 1200.

I'm not really interested in a 'new' version of a Technics 1200. It's specifically the Mk2 version that I like best. That's the classic one.

It would be nice for them to put an exact replica of the Mk2 version back into production which is identical to the original in every way. From what I've read on the internet there are quite a few other people out there who also want the Mk2 to be put back into production too.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Back in the 70s I bought Teesdale SP2 speakers. Wooden veneered cabinets bextrene coned laser designed with isodynamic tweeters. Marvellous sound.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
By Technics, and thinking about it I think McIntosh may have always kept them and I know they don't have any influence on sound quality, but having cut my hifi teeth in the 70s I do like VU meters on a dark night

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the E80's I had were scarily good. Went to a hifi show in Manchester and they were proudly showing off the Jade whatever at over 3k. Had a very informative chat with the Wharfedale guy whose face paled when I said E80..he knew, and he wasn't impressed with Jade either.

I loved my Technics SL6 fully auto turntable, but not as much as the sound from my Arcam 5+ CD. I dont really 'miss' anything TBH but happy memories.

paulkebab said:
the E80's I had were scarily good. Went to a hifi show in Manchester and they were proudly showing off the Jade whatever at over 3k. Had a very informative chat with the Wharfedale guy whose face paled when I said E80..he knew, and he wasn't impressed with Jade either.

I loved my Technics SL6 fully auto turntable, but not as much as the sound from my Arcam 5+ CD. I dont really 'miss' anything TBH but happy memories.

Did Wharfedale make a E80? I have the entry-level E20. There was a E30, 50, 70 and 90.

plastic penguin said:
paulkebab said:

Did Wharfedale make a E80? I have the entry-level E20. There was a E30, 50, 70 and 90.

Not as far as I know, all were odd numbers as you say. JBL made E80 floorstanders.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
paulkebab said:

Not as far as I know, all were odd numbers as you say. JBL made E80 floorstanders.

The 'E' series were nuts. My E20s are 97db into 8ohms, which compared to ATC, Totem, Spendor SA-1s, Dynaudios those Wharfedales were off the scale.

Great match with my old Pioneer amp, though. Every now and then I get them down from the attic and blow the cobwebs out of the drivers (and drive the neighbours bonkers). *biggrin*

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I owned their cousins JPW AP2. Assembled by prison inmates down in Plymouth. They used the same Vifa speakers 8" bass in a sealed enclosure. I found them rather bright but detailed. If the boxes were ported the bass could escape. I phoned JPW about a technical query and Peter Wanstall answered the phone.

matthewpiano

I'd love to see the proper return of Sansui, making the amps they were producing in the mid 70s. Even the smallest have a wonderful, involving sound, and they're lovely things to look at too. It would have to be the real Sansui though, and not some venture that owns the rights to the name but ignores the quality of those old designs.

I'd similarly like to see a return of some of the old British speaker makers, as they were. Never going to happen I know, but brands like Wharfedale, Mordaunt-Short, and Celestion were a different proposition in the 70s and 80s than they are now.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
Heybrook HB1 speakers and the mini disc which I still use regularly.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

You can still have HB1s with the exact same drivers from Wilmslow Audio, but it'll cost you a grand (inc VAT) if you want them to have them made and fitted out, veneered and varnished. (Rather than do the DIY build yourself.)

I looked into the idea but bought Audio Note AX-Twos for £750 instead.

I do also have a mint condition pair of JPW Sonatas with NOS tweeters fitted. (My spare speakers.) They only cost about £40 + £15 for new tweeters. (Inc fitting and soldering.)

Lovely sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts