If What Hi-Fi was test your current...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
My system would probably get 3 stars compared to the likes of price comparable Naim, Leema, Moon etc.. components. The important thing is it sounds great to me and I doubt I'll ever have the luxury of A/B testing with a comparable system.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Grottyash said:
I have to be honest and say that I rarely read any reviews so wouldn't be in a position to comment. Not a big fan of the star rating system used by so many magazines either as they are a bit meaningless.

Sounds perfectly logical that you've made over 1000 posts on this forum, then...
No need to be so defensive, Andrew, but I get the hint, so no more posting from me, then.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:
my system would definately get 5 stars, my speakers are current 5 stars and my amp only cost £99.95 so if it wasn't a 5 star winner when reviewed at the full rrp it would have been at a ton, so 5 stars all round :)
Where did you get a 7001 for a hundred quid?
as DIBsaid, richer sounds it was an ex demo in perfect nick, and it is a very good amp, i've no plans to change it.. (which is rare )

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash said:
No need to be so defensive, Andrew, but I get the hint, so no more posting from me, then.

Defensive? Not at all – almost exactly the opposite (combined with some bemusement)
smiley-laughing.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Personally I dont care how WHF would rate any of my systems as I have auditioned and bought what fits my needs / suits my budget and pleases my ears.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Hard to say think it may be a bit too polite for the guys but It sounds pretty good IMHO with my Plinky Plonky Music of course.

Apple TV in to Audiolab CDQ in to Bel Canto Evo II into B&W 805s.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What if the question was turned on it's head: How often do you agree with WHF's 5 star rated systems, and if not, how would you rate them?

PP - hope you don't mind the different slant to your original idea.

Cno

CnoEvil said:
What if the question was turned on it's head: How often do you agree with WHF's 5 star rated systems, and if not, how would you rate them? PP - hope you don't mind the different slant to your original idea. Cno

Fine by me (what have I said).

To answer your question: No, I don't always agree with WHFIs full monty ratings, but then again, I've never heard the exact systems they've tested. Sure, heard a fair few of the amps, CDPs and speakers but all matched differently.

Perfect example is the Leema. When WHFI had an all-in-one system test with the Stream and Xero speakers, I think they concluded that it was a "exciting sound but not with long listening sessions...". (Sorry, paraphrasing). They also commented on its bright presentation and looks would impress your friends...

I've never heard Leema's speakers or the Stream. Based on my so-called "bright" RS6s and various sources it's everything but bright.

When it comes to system or component appraisal you need to draw a 'middle ground' based on individual items and room acoustics.

EDIT - Hang on, I'm telling porkies here: I have heard WHFIs tester systems. I was invited to do the the Big Q about 18 months or so ago. Their reference systems for that day was:

Speakers: Ruark Sabre III and ATC SCM11; Electronics were Kandy K2 amp and CDP, Yamaha amp & CDP, Naim Nait 5i amp and CDP and Cyrus 6SE

We all chose the last set-up which consisted of the Nait 5i amp/Cyrus 6SE and ATCs. It sounded fine indeed, but the point of this thread is A) Could I live with that system? and B) Regardless of sound repro in their testing rooms - and curiosity - it's interesting to hear the various responses on your own system.

A

Anonymous

5 stars in the UK. Maybe 3 stars if you consider I bought this in the US for us prices and what else is available here?

Bodfish said:
True Blue said:
Personally I dont care how WHF would rate any of my systems as I have auditioned and bought what fits my needs / suits my budget and pleases my ears.

Nail. Head. Hit.

Don't take it too seriously, chaps. This was meant as a self appraisal thread, given we use the forum frequently and read the mags, of our own systems based on WHFIs testing philosophy.

idc

Like Big Chris I also have a 6 star system.

I know it can't be done, but wouldn't it be good if WHF staff could visit forum member's homes, rate their system and award the best system. The reasons why each system was rated as it is and why the winning system won would give real word hif advice we could all follow.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc said:

I know it can't be done, but wouldn't it be good if WHF staff could visit forum member's homes, rate their system and award the best system. The reasons why each system was rated as it is and why the winning system won would give real word hif advice we could all follow.

I don't know about award for the best system but suggestions for improving the system might be good. In fact, didn't they used to do this? I'm sure I used to read an article where they'd rock up to someone's house with a load of gear, swap some bits around and see what made the most improvement.

scene

I've tried to avoid this thread - but like a moth to a candle...

Amp: AVR250 - 4 stars, considering how cheap it is now, still a great musical AV amp.

BluRay: BDPS760 - 4 stars, a great spinner, beaten by newer ones (I've seen them) at a lower price...

Speakers: Mix of MAs, probably 3-4 stars, dragged down a bit by the Silver 8i fronts (much as I love them) - 4+ if I upgraded those (and sorted out my now dead sub)

DVD-player: Arcam DV79 - 4 stars, a great, musical disc spinner

Display: KRP500-A - 5 stars - still superb!

Multi-room sound: Sonos - 5 stars

But I think together they sound superb, and that's what counts...

idc said:

Wouldn't it just...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts