If only the B&W A7 had...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
... an optical digital input as well as AirPlay.

Oh... but... hang on, it does :)

(Lurking inside the 3.5mm analogue 'aux' input is a mini-Toslink connection just like on iMacs.)

This is really beginning to tempt me now. (Moreso since I just 'discovered' the optical digital input option.)

That means I can use AirPlay for all my audio (as I do now with my Marantz) and use the optical digital input for the TV/Humax/Blu-ray (also as I do now with my Marantz).

With the optical digital I also get 'backup' radio - via Freeview on TV or Humax - if the interweb is down. (Something I overlooked when first checking out the B&W A7 a few weeks ago.)

It's a 'proper' active design. (Seperate amps for each driver with crossover function sorted out in the digital domain by the DSP.)

I keep flicking back to check the specs and have found it will stream from computers via USB too. (Not that I need that feature.)

I will try to hear th A7 next week. Using it instead of the Marantz/Rega R3s could be just the ticket and free up space currently taken up by two floorstanding loudspeakers.

(I'd stash the M-CR603 alongside the MS20i Pearl Edition box in the cupboard under the stairs as an 'emergency' system in case of the A7 needing repair.)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
... an optical digital input as well as AirPlay.

Oh... but... hang on, it does :)

(Lurking inside the 3.5mm analogue 'aux' input is a mini-Toslink connection just like on iMacs.)

This is really beginning to tempt me now. (Moreso since I just 'discovered' the optical digital input option.)

That means I can use AirPlay for all my audio (as I do now with my Marantz) and use the optical digital input for the TV/Humax/Blu-ray (also as I do now with my Marantz).

With the optical digital I also get 'backup' radio - via Freeview on TV or Humax - if the interweb is down. (Something I overlooked when first checking out the B&W A7 a few weeks ago.)

It's a 'proper' active design. (Seperate amps for each driver with crossover function sorted out in the digital domain by the DSP.)

I keep flicking back to check the specs and have found it will stream from computers via USB too. (Not that I need that feature.)

I will try to hear th A7 next week. Using it instead of the Marantz/Rega R3s could be just the ticket and free up space currently taken up by two floorstanding loudspeakers.

(I'd stash the M-CR603 alongside the MS20i Pearl Edition box in the cupboard under the stairs as an 'emergency' system in case of the A7 needing repair.)

Sounds interesting, but doesn't using the A7 for TV create a lack of stereo image?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts