Ideal amplifier for Monitor Audio silver RX6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I have the Rx6 for 4 years now with naim 5i and I still like the sound very much!

When I was auditioning my speakers I heard them with Roksan Kandy K2 and naim 5i.

At that time I had not enough money to buy a new amp. The first year I combined them with a rega brio 3. Also a nice amp but when I got my naim 5i, the difference in sound quality was obvious. More detail and better/bigger bass.

I had a nice opportunity to buy the naim 5i set second hand so I could finally afford a better amp. But if I had the money then to buy new I would have bought the Roksan K2.

Although I have to say the naim 5i is the better looking one and really gives pride of ownership. The k2 is more powerfull and I think will drive more speakers and sounds a little more neutral. But is less waf friendly!

Grtz

khas

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
RA
igsta77 said:
I have the MA RX6 with the Rotel RA12, no issues here. OP why is this not "ideal"?

Anyone care to enlighten me why this is not a recommended option?

RA12+RX6 slightly bright for me!

khas

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
thx all!

ok!

Arcam A19 and Creek Evo 50a-first candidate.

What can you say Denon PMA-1520(1510)AE for RX6?maybe Primare i22 or Advance Acoustic MAP 306?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
MA RX6 are fuzzy with positioning in the room.They need a lot of room around them.But once you found the right place and have a med to well damped room they sound really well.I have paired my RX6 with Audiolab CDQ and two 8200MB Monos and very happy with this combo.

Also have the chance to try them with a RXV2700(Biamped),Audiolab 8200A since i own them too.The RX 6 need a lot power to shine.Nothing comes near to the Mono´s combo and/or a dedicated stereo amp.RXV2700 Biamped<8200A<RXV2700 preout to Monos<8200A with monos<CDQ with monos.You can hear every step.

I would go with the 8200A or the Arcam if i was you.You recognize the extra pedigree of the monos but imo not worth the extra money.They deserve better than RX6.

khas

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
I would go with the 8200A or the Arcam if i was you.You recognize the extra pedigree of the monos but imo not worth the extra money.They deserve better than RX6.

thx Esra!

however Arcam and Audiolab have absolutely different sound!?i think sound Denon 1510(1520) is just an average between?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well thats very subjective as many things in hifi.I dont know the denon and arcam.After a certain level of standard, I dont hear absolutely differences in amps within the same pricerange if they are well designed and designated to stereo.Thats my experience from several auditions.I am sure the difference between the arcam and audiolab should/could be less in terms of quality than say Audiolab/Arcam and an AVR like the Yammie I use.The biggest difference in sound imo you get by the room the speakers are used in and of course the speakers themselves and their positioning in this certain room.These two points would be my first tweaks and upgrades before i would go for an other amp/electronics if i would own a prooven good amp already.E.x. first I found my RX6 too bright in my rooms,totally different as I heard them in the audition at the dealer.After a little tweaking with damping the room and repositioning the speakers and furniture I am happy with the sound as it sounds better than at the dealer now.This made a whole lot more difference to me than the certainly given difference between my AVR and the Audiolab combo.

Best way to find out is to try out in your rooms if you have the possibility to do so.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I had RX6, Audiolab 8200cd and Arcam FMJ A19 and it all worked very well. Still have the Amp and CD player but now with Monitor Audio Silver 6 which are IMO slightly smoother and bass is more controlled.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts