I'd like advice about hardware and software for ripping music please.

GBatt

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
The day has finally come when I'm being forced to get rid off around a 1000 CDs. They're collecting dust and I don't have a CD player anymore. I'd like advice about what piece of hardware to get for a MacBook Pro to rip the CDs and what programme to use. Back in the day when I used iTunes it would recognise the CD and populate the song list itself so I'm looking for something similar. I have a Dropbox account I could store them in. I have a Sonos speakers. Is there something I could use on my iPhone to play music stored in the cloud? Sorry if some of these questions are dumb I've been out of the game a long time.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Might be worth checking out this page as Sonos changed the way you can play music stored on your phone:

The ‘On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch’ feature has been removed from the Sonos app for iOS. The way this feature was originally architected has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS. Your iOS device can still be used to control Sonos using the Sonos app.

You can use AirPlay if you have a compatible device:

• Sonos One
  • Sonos One SL
  • Move
  • Beam
  • Amp
  • Arc
  • Playbase
  • Five
  • Play:5 (gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK

Jimboo

They are gathering dust but you still want to hear them? Buy a c.d player.
Or sell them and just use a streaming service if the physical object is deemed unnecessary.
I personally don't see the point of storing music in something else and spending hours doing it just to remove the product taking up space when if all you want is the simpler approach. Buying a box to store something you already own or putting it in a file or drive etc. Really what's the point.
I like the actual music in my hands , just my bag man.
I understand (actually I don't) people getting rid of their collection, just streaming music stops all the worry and hassle out of the equation.
It's funny isn't it , hi-fi forums dedicated to the pursuit of sound using engineered tech to amplify ,track and read formats now moving on to amplify bits stored on a computer using a mouse.

Reactions: Niallivm

michael hoy

I ripped all my 1500 CD's to flac, store on a NAS and stream via a Linn Majik DS controlled by Roon.
Yes it takes time and i would have kept my CDP, but do not have the space now for it.

Bare in mind that you will still need to keep the CD's once you have ripped them. If you sell or give them away you know longer have the rights to the music.

GBatt

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
I ripped all my 1500 CD's to flac, store on a NAS and stream via a Linn Majik DS controlled by Roon.
Yes it takes time and i would have kept my CDP, but do not have the space now for it.

Bare in mind that you will still need to keep the CD's once you have ripped them. If you sell or give them away you know longer have the rights to the music.
Are you joking?

iMark

All our CDs are ripped in Apple Lossless on an external hard drive attached to my Mac Mini. I have a copy of the iTunes music folder on an external hard drive off site.

I have a Samsung DVD-writer (powered by USB) for ripping CDs. I have always used iTunes with error correction on for ripping the CDs. It works fine.

In macOS Catalina iTunes has been split in several apps. You can use the Music app for ripping CDs.
I use an iPhone or an iPad as a remote control for the music library on the Mac Mini.

Jimboo

Tell me peeps. This often used caveat. I rip my cd collection to a flac lossless file implies that somehow you are actually improving the cd format and enhancing the music.
In truth are you not just buying more equipment drives and software ,sticks and gizmos to replace the simplicity of cd and player?
Convenience? That would be streaming. I have obscure pressings , just rip them then.
I need the shelf space , for what exactly. I can access my music anywhere , that's streaming too. Roon gives me the info on the album and the cover art , like the jewel case does?
Buying software to play software using hardware. Is it actually an experience to access ,play music with a laptop or does it even matter.
I simply cannot get my head around ripping and storing when technology has and will continue to surpass the need for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts