I would walk 500 miles... (my system)

insider9

Luckily had to drive only 400 miles. And all of it yesterday on my 17th Wedding Anniversary. My wife is an angel (just saying). Thank you!!!

Finally, I'm a proud owner of Red Rose Music Classic speakers. I will be building around them. You can view pictures of my listening room here. It's actually a part of master bedroom. Near field setup in an equilateral triangle (6ft sides). BBC engineered acoustic treatment panels mixed with my diy bass traps and a cloud. Currently running them with Naim 5i-2/Roksan L3. Passive setup with no DSP at present. Not sure yet which amp will be staying in this system (likely to be Naim) as I need Roksan for my Jamo Concert for second system.

What do you guys reckon?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
Luckily had to drive only 400 miles. And all of it yesterday on my 17th Wedding Anniversary. My wife is an angel (just saying). Thank you!!!

Finally, I'm a proud owner of Red Rose Music Classic speakers. I will be building around them. You can view my pictures of my listening room here. It's actually a part of master bedroom. Near field setup in an equilateral triangle (6ft sides). BBC engineered acoustic treatment panels mixed with my diy bass traps and a cloud. Currently running them with Naim 5i-2/Roksan L3. Passive setup with no DSP at present. Not sure yet which one will be staying in this system (likely to be Naim) as I need Roksan for my Jamo Concert for second system.

What do you guys reckon?

nice system, and very dedicated set up with the room treatments etc. Are they literally canvass panels?. My sister gave me some big paintings to sell on eBay and I might try them around my room and see what they do. Is your chair pushed back when you listen as I take it you don’t sit that close.

insider9

They're tuned panels built by a BBC engineer. Bought them when a recording studio outside of Leeds was moving. They were mostly recording speech so tuned around midrange.

Unfortunately wasn't sure how to figure out what frequency each panel is tuned to so it took me couple of weeks to get them to work. Got 16 of them, tried many configurations.

I did manage to get reverberation down to 0.2-0.25s thanks to this as well as treat first reflections effectively.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Insider I have got an amp in now that is superb you might want to consider

Also I like a man who chooses his speakers to colour coordinate with his acoustics panels skills lol

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Tell me more about the speakers
Very interesting
How large do the bass drivers measure?

How are they sounding now passive?
Red Rose Music was company setup by Mark Levinson around the turn of century. Based in New York closed it's doors not long after 9/11.

Not much info on these around Internet but I've read they were either $8k or $11.5k. Regardless of that with import charges etc. they'd sell for around £10k-£12k, I reckon.

Two 5 inch low midrange woofers in D'appolito design with a long ribbon tweeter crossed over low at 1,800Hz and a side firing 10 inch woofers.

Handmade with each speaker weight around 40kg.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Very interesting

Red Rose Music was company setup by Mark Levinson around the turn of century. Based in New York closed it's doors not long after 9/11.

Not much info on these around Internet but I've read they were either $8k or $11.5k. Regardless of that with import charges etc. they'd sell for around £10k-£12k, I reckon.

Two 5 inch low midrange woofers in D'appolito design with a long ribbon tweeter crossed over low at 1,800Hz and a side firing 10 inch woofers.

How much did you get them for?

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Very interesting

How much did you get them for?
All safely under a grand and that's including petrol.

Not seen another pair in the UK. If anything they can only appreciate due to rarity and the fact serial number on them is 20!

Oh and what an absolute murder to transport them. Fecking heavy as hell. My wife looked at the boxes and said she hopes no one gets killed in the neighbourhood as all eyes would be on us having carried two coffins recently.

insider9

DocG said:
Very nice speakers, insider! I hope you can make them work in your room.
Thanks DocG. They actually work fine I've measured them and bass is slightly big, but no boom with treatment in place and the ribbons add harmonics making the texture just superb. I will eventually use DSP but for now enjoying them. Might even be tempted to turn them active.

For now all I'm thinking is I want to get a shorter stand in wood finish matching the speakers.

Any recommendations welcome.

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
They are a nice pair of speakers and a absolute bargain considering the original rrp......"I think you might need a bigger amp".insider.lol.
The whole line was designed to work with valves. Even though the guy scared me saying about 200W+. They're sensitive (I think 94dB). Naim does a fab job and only 50Wpc. Roksan at 120Wpc doesn't control them any better. Not that I've noticed at least.

I would fancy upgrading something though. Though source/DAC perhaps. Hugo second hand at £800 seems a decent value and might finally get Roon.

insider9

mond said:
Wow, great looking set up you got there

Thanks very much!

jjbomber said:
insider9 said:
My wife is an angel.

You're lucky; mine's still alive! *biggrin*

Haha!

Just saying, don't know many that would put up with their husband doing Sheffield-Southampton return trip on the day of anniversary. And then she helped me, unbox and carry them up the stairs.

insider9

Romulus said:
In your post you refer to a second system.  Is it 'near field' set up as your first system?
Yes. Downstairs doesn't have acoustic treatment and family in and out of living room so not quiet enough. I listen critically so don't like interruptions. Roksan L3 will partner Jamo Concert 7 that now been relegated to second system. They're a great match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts