I watched a 4K Blu-ray for the first time in years – and was left disappointed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

I’m going to jump in and defend the author of this article as just one month ago I went through the exact same exercise when (coincidentally) settling down to watch Dune.

Firstly, I think some posters are taking the wording too literal and probably didn’t read right to the end where he concludes the AV advantage.

Anyhoo, I use a Panasonic UB900 and when I put the disk in I also experienced long load times and a noisy mechanism. That noise is problematic as it increases the noise floor in the room and ruins some of the quieter more atmospheric scenes of the film. Now I’ve no idea if it was always that noisy or has developed over time, but it is a problem with alot of mechanical players.

Now maybe a newer player will resolve this; but would I want to invest *today* in a technology that is slowly being phased out?

And here’s the other thing. As per the article the bit rates for Netflix is pretty low and frankly it shows…4K Blu-ray shows Netflix the door and then boots it right through it. But Apple TV+ / iTunes is actually not bad at 40mbps and it is visually and sonically quite a step up from Netflix. I also wonder how much of the 128mbps is actually used on the average disk. I mean we all know DTS-MA on bluray can handle 24 bit at 24mbps but try and find a disk that actually does that. Most are 16 bit 44khz.

I have a number of films from iTunes and an Apple TV+ subscription and I’ve been repeatedly blown away by the picture and sound. Similarly with Prime but not quite to the same extent. I have still been buying films on 4K Blu-ray but due to the expense (£20-£25 per film) I save it for films I absolutely love, such as Dune. However, as I felt let down by the 4K Blu-ray experience this time around I decided to double dip and buy the same film on Apple TV+. With an ageing Blu-ray player and iTunes films being less than half the price of their 4K Blu-ray equivalent I decided to bite the bullet and pay out so I could compare the two to see if it was worth buying any more expensive 4K disks.

The result was interesting. My player is HDR10 only and Apple TV is Dolby Vision so please take this factor as an unfair fight but to my eyes the best picture quality was very much scene dependant. The audio was also very very close. In some scenes the 4K Blu-ray was slightly (very slightly) fuller, but outside of that the fidelity between the two was pretty much on par and the lack of mechanical noise meant the quiet scenes were better via Apple TV+. Now some of this could be my receiver doing a good job, but if I had left the room and someone switched from Blu-ray to Apple TV+ I probably wouldn’t notice. In the past I almost certainly would have noticed, but stream quality really is improving on iTunes. I just might now be favouring the stream when balancing quality and cost, but it is very much service dependent as quality really does vary. I wouldn’t compare Netflix for example with Blu-ray as I can certainly tell the difference in that case.

One last point. As streaming services have increased the bit rates of our film collections have slowly crept up in quality. This does not happen with disk.

So is it worth buying another disk spinner just as studio’s are pulling out and streaming improving? Not for me. I’ll probably keep mine until it breaks or I need the rack space, because I already have a disk collection and it is still a good spinner, but I won’t be adding to that collection in the future.

Last edited:

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a bunch of BDs but I rarely watch them if I can find the content to stream. The compression with streaming is frustrating but the backwards step in functionality of blu-rays was even moreso. My last DVD player could resume playback in about 3 seconds after pressing the play button in standby. I've had a Pioneer BD player and the PS4 and not only was the load time for both ridiculous but there was no guarantee you could resume from where you last watched.

So they lose revenue because people don't want to buy inconvenient media and we lose AV quality.
I don't have this problem, 4K loads in a very reasonable time, the picture is stunning and my 7.1.4 Atmos setup is the best part, something streaming just cant touch. The functionality of the 4K player is also very good.
Convenience is never going to better the hardware for a long time.

Panasonic, Oppo, Pioneer and Monitor audio.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site

DREADZONE

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Streaming is only convenient for some use cases.

It's convenient in that streaming works on many devices that don't require an attached player and that you don't have to own the title. That's pretty much it.

Streaming Inconveniences
• You have to find out which service a particular movie is on – if it's on one at all.
• You have to actually subscribe to the service in question or get it through someone else.
• You have to navigate through that particular service's UI and that's tough because they are all different – so there is always the time cost of "where do I go next to find _______".
• You have to remember and use the control scheme of the particular streaming service (Play/Pause, Fast-Forward, Closed Captions. etc...). Each one is different and that causes user error.

There are services that address some of this, but not all, and that's frustrating
"• You have to remember and use the control scheme of the particular streaming service (Play/Pause, Fast-Forward, Closed Captions. etc...). Each one is different and that causes user error."
And none are as slick as SkyQ in terms of functionality and speed.

cobraBLACK

Apr 8, 2021
Visit site
"• You have to remember and use the control scheme of the particular streaming service (Play/Pause, Fast-Forward, Closed Captions. etc...). Each one is different and that causes user error."
And none are as slick as SkyQ in terms of functionality and speed.
I reckon the old Sky+ was better for watching your recorded content (faster) although the Sky Q UI has more stuff - and the third party app integration is good (but ridiculous there's no button to open up a list of apps immediately).

VM boxes have a few nice features like 30-second skip.

stonesfan285

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Hello all, I thought I'd jump in and comment. Here's my two cents on 4K Blu-ray. For me, I just don't think it's worth it. I have a relatively inexpensive Samsung 65" 4K Crystal LED TV. I got this one because the room I am in has a lot of ambient light and so an OLED just wouldn't look that good in here. My sound system right now is a Roku Streambar Pro with the two satellite speakers and sub. It sounds 'okay' for what it is. I got this from a friend cheap a few years ago because he upgraded to a receiver. I am using an LG UBK90 as my 4K Blu-ray player (got this on an open-box special at Best Buy a few years ago).

Anyway, I just don't think 4K Blu-rays are worth it, especially for the premium price tag. First off, it seems like nearly every player other than the Samsungs struggle with 100GB discs. I don't have very many of these discs (I think 12 right now) and of those, I have had to exchange most of them either because they pixelate/freeze part of the way through, or because they were "Made In Mexico" complete with scratches and fingerprints all over the read surface.

On top of that, most 4K Blu-rays don't look that much better versus the Blu-ray. Where I see the most difference is with older movies where the 4K Blu-ray radically alters the color timing, or where the original Blu-ray release is one of those poorly done MPEG2 encodes with Dolby Digital/DTS core audio (no lossless). In those cases, it may be worth it. But then, if you took that 4K Blu-ray and transferred the same master to Blu-ray, I have a feeling the difference would be minimal.

I never thought Blu-ray looked bad and in fact that's the format I still buy just because I have had far less quality control issues, and they are usually cheaper especially if you wait a few months after release and buy used. And I have never run into any Blu-ray player that struggles with BD25 or BD50 discs.

As for streaming and digital cloud copies, I will only watch streaming if they are free (i.e. Freevee, Tubi) and digital cloud copies I use rentals, never buy anything. The reason being is that the terms of use are completely against the consumer (own nothing and like it). I'm not going to pay the same price as a disc for psuedo-ownership and then have these companies take it away when they want me to go buy it on the newest service. Streams usually look significantly worse too. Vudu is the main offender for me, I see posterization and blocking all over HDX streams on dark movies. Apple is a lot better in this regard.

pocznjm

Nov 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, i just registered only to respond to this nonsense.
I have a 55" LG G3 and a Panasonic Ub820 player with a LG G1 soundbar.
2019 Lion King disc vs Disney+ 10-5
Topgun Maverick disc vs Prime. 10-5
Godfather trilogy 4k disc vs sorry where can i stream it?
Dream Theater's Distant memories live 1080p bluray has significantly better quality than any 4k films stream I've seen.
Player fan sound? Sorry what? Loading time yeah definitely longer than click and select especially in the G3's fast remote! And where's the problem when you sit down to watch a 2-3 hours long film and need to wait a bit?! Ah yeah, you'd be halfway through already on stream i forgot.
I cannot believe you don't see that definitely superior picture quality in disc vs stream. Sorry but how this article was even accepted for release?

pocznjm

Nov 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, i just registered only to respond to this nonsense.
I have a 55" LG G3 and a Panasonic Ub820 player with a LG G1 soundbar.
2019 Lion King disc vs Disney+ 10-5
Topgun Maverick disc vs Prime. 10-5
Godfather trilogy 4k disc vs sorry where can i stream it?
Dream Theater's Distant memories live 1080p bluray has significantly better quality than any 4k films stream I've seen.
Player fan sound? Sorry what? Loading time yeah definitely longer than click and select especially in the G3's fast remote! And where's the problem when you sit down to watch a 2-3 hours long film and need to wait a bit?! Ah yeah, you'd be halfway through already on stream i forgot.
I cannot believe you don't see that definitely superior picture quality in disc vs stream. Sorry but how this article was even accepted for release?
And yes streaming services offer incredible quality for their price and absolutely not a necessity for a great watch a disc version of a film.
Yes a good player and 4k films are expensive but it's visually measureble the difference. But to say 4k disc is disappointing vs stream it's nonsensical.
And where can you stream TLOTR trilogy in 4k? On UHD disk it's glorious!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts