I was just curious how many regular posters now post on this website?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
He doesn't like swearing, even if the offending word isn't written in full.
Do you really think that makes any difference? If JK Rowling had written Ron saying "oh just f**k off Harry!" do you think for one minute there wouldn't have been a chorus of outrage? The idea that putting a couple of asterisks in a word stops people from knowing what the word means is incredibly patronizing.

A

Anderson

The_Lhc said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Do you really think that makes any difference? If JK Rowling had written Ron saying "oh just f**k off Harry!" do you think for one minute there wouldn't have been a chorus of outrage? The idea that putting a couple of asterisks in a word stops people from knowing what the word means is incredibly patronizing.

Exactely, it's just a word you should be able to type it in full.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
spiny norman said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
otherwise they should just f*** off.

Oh, you'll fit right back in!
And irony occasionally falls on stony ground.

Welcome back rgd! Long time no hear. I took a back seat and only lurked for a while; during which time it appears there have been a few too many toys thrown out of the pram...

*diablo* OK I admit it - I occasionally through the odd teddy...

I'd like to be counted in with the irregulars please.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
The_Lhc said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Exactely, it's just a word you should be able to type it in full.

Well there's a whole different argument to be had as to whether people should just be mature enough not to worry about the odd swear-word here and there (which I'd agree with) but it's largely a pointless argument, I've met my mother so I know there's always going to be someone offended by it, no matter how much people say "it's just a word".

The point I was making though is that everyone knows the House Rules don't allow bad language and just putting the odd * in the middle of words doesn't stop it from being bad language, as BBB knows full well, and it's daft to suggest otherwise.

Of course if the House Rules were ever actually enforced it wouldn't matter one way or the other.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
The point I was making though is that everyone knows the House Rules don't allow bad language and just putting the odd * in the middle of words doesn't stop it from being bad language, as BBB knows full well, and it's daft to suggest otherwise.

I don't think I was suggesting otherwise. My point was, that despite the asterix letter replacement, the swear word is still the first word that pops into Spiny's head, so he's not quite as innocent and pure of thought as he makes out.

For the record, I don't like to hear barrages of swear words when I'm out, but the occasional, well-placed swear word is sometimes the only word to use. I could use some of the alternatives as suggested here http://community.sparknotes.com/2013/11/01/40-things-you-can-say-instead-of-swearing, but I think I'd look a bit of a No.39 if I did.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:

I don't think I was suggesting otherwise. My point was, that despite the asterix letter replacement, the swear word is still the first word that pops into Spiny's head, so he's not quite as innocent and pure of thought as he makes out.

I don't think there are many people that wouldn't know what the words are, so that's a ridiculous distinction, when I was 7 I was sent to the headmistress for swearing, she gave me ten minutes to write down all the swear words I knew, I could only think of two at the time, so she punished me again for lying as she knew a lot more than that and didn't believe that I didn't.

She was a nun (a proper one as well, not like those trendy nuns they have these days).

It's knowing the words that makes people not want to hear them, in fact if you didn't know what they were they wouldn't be offensive (hence as to why Italian radio plays uncensored versions of english language songs that have to be censored over here, for example).

For the record, I don't like to hear barrages of swear words when I'm out, but the occasional, well-placed swear word is sometimes the only word to use.

Couldn't agree more but it's still against the house rules here and you know that, so don't complain if you get your wrists slapped for doing it.

TRENDING THREADS