I want to buy Monitor Audio Bronze 200 or Acoustic Energy AE109 MK2 for NAD C325BEE amplifier. For all kinds of music (pop, rock, dance). Which would

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Any speaker on the market today for less than $3,000 a pair will require a subwoofer
Don’t want to go off topic, but I might take issue with that statement. Why is it a requirement? This is a matter of personal choice related to whether one wants the extra base. Not everyone likes it, a small room or speaker positioning may already be giving you plenty, or you may be thinking of neighbours or partners. Why £3000? If you’re a bass fiend I can think of speakers above that value which would benefit from a sub.

Reactions: DougK1 and nopiano
Dali Zensor 5 or Acoustic Energy AE 109 MK2? Which speaker is better?
It does appear like you've got too many options on your list. You really won't get anywhere without auditioning few speakers.

It's the combination of speakers and amplifier that is important. For a given amplifier, one speaker may sound totally different to the other, and so you cannot say in isolation which speaker is better. Speaker matching is important, and that would depend on your personal listening preferences.

It does appear like you've got too many options on your list. You really won't get anywhere without auditioning few speakers.

It's the combination of speakers and amplifier that is important. For a given amplifier, one speaker may sound totally different to the other, and so you cannot say in isolation which speaker is better. Speaker matching is important, and that would depend on your personal listening preferences.
Tried telling him that ages ago but he continues to throw up alternatives.
Nobody can tell him which is best for him full stop....
However, it is one way of keeping a pointless thread going.... :)

Reactions: bigboss

froze

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Idddddd
Don’t want to go off topic, but I might take issue with that statement. Why is it a requirement? This is a matter of personal choice related to whether one wants the extra base. Not everyone likes it, a small room or speaker positioning may already be giving you plenty, or you may be thinking of neighbours or partners. Why £3000? If you’re a bass fiend I can think of speakers above that value which would benefit from a sub.
I didn't make myself very clear, sorry about that.

Yes, speakers over the $3,000 price could benefit from a subwoofer depending on what you like to listen to, but in some types of music and movies where sub-frequencies are not being generated, there is no real benefit to a subwoofer.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to communicate. In 1994 I bought a pair of JBL L7 speakers, which have a 12-inch side woofer, and a subwoofer, the brand I can't recall. When they were hooked up I played all sorts of music and a sci-fi movie, I could not even tell the subwoofer was working! Speed up about 4 years ago I decided to try another subwoofer and bought a Klipsch, now with certain Sci-Fi movies and certain metal music I like to listen to I can hear the sub working, but if I go back to my usual classic rock you can't hear the sub doing anything.

So it depends on what a person likes to listen to. A more expensive speaker will have a powerful bass response and that may be all the person needs, but when you buy less expensive speakers you will need a subwoofer because the bass response coming from modern speakers is more on the level of mid-base response.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts