I prefer my old speakers...

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
My new Dali Oberon 5 speakers arrived to day. They looked gorgeous and hooked them up to my Yamaha AS-501... Jeez Louise the bass!! I know these speakers are deceptively powerful for their size but I found them uncomfortable to listen to.

These Dalis are bass beasts compared to my Wharfedale Diamond 230's. I suppose I was expecting similar bass levels to my Wharfedales but more refined and accurate, but they are on their way back to Richer Sounds next week.

I've just been listening to AJA on Amazon Music and it was sublime on the Wharefedale's, so they are keepers for the time being. By the way I'm doubtful whether if the 100 hour run in period will tame or make any difference to the bass presentation.

Reactions: Dmode101

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have listened to many Dali speakers over the years and left the demo rooms thinking the same thing. To much bass for my liking. Have you tried Tannoy, KEF, or Q Acoustic they might be more to your taste or a different model in the Wharfedale range.

treesey

:)
Have you ever seen 'The Paleface' with Bob Hope? There's a scene where he's going to a gunfight and a few people give him advice.. which just confuses him.

It just popped into my head.

If you don't like (or do like) the sound from a set of speakers, then unless you want to start changing everything else, there's very little to be done about it.

I have found many times that modern 'things' which are supposed to be vastly superior to 'old' things, are not. Different, yes.. sometimes worse, but you have to go up a level or three before you get improvements. Not just get 'newer'.

IMHO. Your ears may vary.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
:)
Have you ever seen 'The Paleface' with Bob Hope? There's a scene where he's going to a gunfight and a few people give him advice.. which just confuses him.

It just popped into my head.

If you don't like (or do like) the sound from a set of speakers, then unless you want to start changing everything else, there's very little to be done about it.

I have found many times that modern 'things' which are supposed to be vastly superior to 'old' things, are not. Different, yes.. sometimes worse, but you have to go up a level or three before you get improvements. Not just get 'newer'.

IMHO. Your ears may vary.
Newer things are often upgraded to lower manufacturing costs for manufacturers to improve profits. As you say newer is not often better and given the years since inception you would have thought the perfect speaker would have been made by now.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Your room has ‘node/s’ that are being excited far more by the Dalis than the Wharfedales. You could either treat your room, use a DSP device, or choose a different speaker option. A sealed box design such as those used by ATC would probably fit the bill. Alternatively, you could just enjoy your Wharfedales and forget changing them. I doubt that the Dalis on their own can be tamed sufficiently for your liking.

Reactions: kramer2020

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Your room has ‘node/s’ that are being excited far more by the Dalis than the Wharfedales. You could either treat your room, use a DSP device, or choose a different speaker option. A sealed box design such as those used by ATC would probably fit the bill. Alternatively, you could just enjoy your Wharfedales and forget changing them. I doubt that the Dalis on their own can be tamed sufficiently for your liking.

My room certainly got excited, I thought I'd left my subwoofer on!
I plan on enjoying my Wharfedales for a little while yet, indeed I purchased some QED XT40i cables for the Dali's and they seem quite at home with the Wharfies so one result at least. Also I'll be replacing the jumper plates with some DIY jumper cables this week too.. ah the joys of pointless audio tweakery, gotta love it :giggle:

Reactions: Pedro2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts