I need your expert advice..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I need some advice, im about to transform my room (3m by 3m) and as I LOVE MUSIC im about to invest in my serious (in my opinion) hifi or surround sound kit.

Firstly im planning to have my flat screen tv and my laptop (It has a HDMI socket) set up in my room, and i wish to connect both to either a surround sound system or a mini hifi. (so both can play sound to the same system)

My budget is up to £500.

Can anyone suggest for example a really good av reciver or amplifier (£200) and a set of book shelf speakers or speaker packages (5.1)(£300) that match and you feel would be adequate.

Im guessing the tv and laptop should hook up to the system through hdmi, or have you got any better ideas?

My music taste is very varied e.g. classical, rock, blues, dnb and dubstep. Im looking for quality rather than loud sound if you know what i mean. As you can tell i dont really know much about hifi, amps etc etc.

(Just as an add on id rather have book shelf speakers because i dont really want wires running everywhere, can certain book shelf speaker create a surround sound atmosphere)

Apologies for my very amateurish description, im new this game, but since i bought my sennihiser head phones (hd 380pro) a year ago, i realised how much i loved quality sound, and im just trying to get that in my room lol.

Thanks Mike
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello there :)

Are you willing to look second hand?

For £500 you could get a truly class stereo setup if your prepared to hunt around for bargins on ebay/guntree etc. You could get a decent 5.1.

New you could get a good stereo setup but would struggle to get a good 5.1 setup. Just my opinion.

When you say your looking for quality over quantity, does this extend to dnb and dubstep? They were designed to be played loud...x

Paul.

With your budget, you may want to think about what's most important to you, music or surround sound. For £500 you could build a system that does either stereo or surround well, but not both.

One option could be to buy a good surround sound amp like the yamaha 667, a pair of good bookshelf speakers like the monitor audio bx2 (this would fit in to your £500 budget) and then buy the centre and surround speakers at a later date? Would sound good with music now, and with an extra £300 ish spent in the future would sound good with movies.

A

Anonymous

Paul Hobbs said:
With your budget, you may want to think about what's most important to you, music or surround sound. For £500 you could build a system that does either stereo or surround well, but not both. One option could be to buy a good surround sound amp like the yamaha 667, a pair of good bookshelf speakers like the monitor audio bx2 (this would fit in to your £500 budget) and then buy the centre and surround speakers at a later date? Would sound good with music now, and with an extra £300 ish spent in the future would sound good with movies.

One (NEW) option might be to get two pairs of wharfedale diamond 9.1's for fronts and surrounds (comes to £200) then get a diamond centre channel and a surround amp eg the afformentioned yamaa 667. Gets you good 5.0 for £500. You can add a sub later. This will get you all the surround effects but not the deep bass. Diamond 9.1's are not as good as monitor audio bx1's but the gulf is not enormas and certainly worth hearing for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Hey, yh to be very onist its the music which is important to me, lets say i was to purchase the 2 items (the speakers you suggested were the ones on the top of my list), if i was to hook up my laptop to the yamaha 667 with a hdmi cable, would it distord the sound in anyway and would i have to have certain software on my computer etc etc., and will spotify work on it.

Plus im not that botherd on the surround sound, i just want to hear my tv properly for once.

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpfuly
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

I dont know if you mean the 9.1's or te bx2's. But in either case yes you can use the hdmi lead, no it won't distort the sound, no you don't need any software and yes you can use spotify. x

A

Anonymous

i mean rge bx2's but im going to lisen to both before i make my decision.

Thanks for answering my specific questions running123 much appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts