I need help with a multi talented 2.1!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to move back in from my flat to a room on barracks, as such I have had to sell the love of my life - my sound system. It was far too big (7.1 with floorstanders), and as such I am without sound.

I am looking to get a 2.1 system, preferably with an Ipod dock, or if not with money spare to buy a decent dock (Onkyo DS-A2X for example) from my £300 budget. It also ideally needs to have enough inputs for DVD player, and Xbox 360.

So far I have been looking at the Aego-M (but not enough inputs), the Jamo i300, or thinking about trying the fatman itube valvedock (but would probably go over budget on speakers, not a massive problem).

If you could help with comparing my options, and making some reccommendations, maybe even for something I haven't thought of, then that would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Russell

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Try the fatman with Rega's R3. There are better valve amps around but for the price and functions its fine and with those speakers is approaching 'high end' when used with an appropriate source. You wont need a sub.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Try the fatman with Rega's R3. There are better valve amps around but for the price and functions its fine and with those speakers is approaching 'high end' when used with an appropriate source. You wont need a sub.
[/quote]

The R3's are too big, I need a compact system, small bookshelves would be as big as i could go. Also my budget is £300, not £700 for the amp and speakers.
Many thanks anyway.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you decide to purchase the valve amplifier match it with a paper coned speaker. You have very limited choice at your budget but Tannoy's F1 on paper fits the bill. Have'nt heard them though so can't comment.

A

Anonymous

I know, budget is a problem, although i could wait a month or 2 and double or triple the budget, a friend has a Bose 3-2-1 system that i can borrow until i sort myself out.

Any views on the other options around. I also just saw a set of wharfedale loudpanel speakers (the picture frame ones) with the passive sub, these would be ideal on space saving, does anyone have experience with the quality?

TRENDING THREADS