I need a decent stereo sound back - help !

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys

Time has come where I can no longer put up with the AV stereo sound ! After 14 years, I am going back to having a dedicated stereo set up.

I have no amp, cd or speakers - so a clean start.

So I need some help - well rather alot really !

Budget of up to £700 for speakers (stand or floor).
Don't mind going second hand but the problem of not being able to listen to them could be a problem, unless I can partner with a suitable amp.

Room small/med size. Used to have 685's but sold these to pay for upgrades on the AV side.

Amp - prefer S/H, so any speaker/amp combo's recommended would be great. I don't want to spend £100's preferably.

Not worried about the CD at the moment, lets get some ideas on the other equipment first.

This is purely for stereo and will be stand alone to the AV.

Don't listen to alot of music to be honest, but I need a decent sound!

Was thinking about the RX6. EB1 amongst others.

Prepared to demo where possible, but would like a short list.

Thanks !

Gill

A

Anonymous

a couple of set ups spring to mind

• MARANTZ PM6003 AMP
  • MARANTZ CD6003 CD PLAYER
  • MONITOR AUDIO RX6

or

• CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A V2
    Black Stereo Amplifier

• CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640C V2
    Black CD Player

• MONITOR AUDIO RX6
The cambridge set up could be aquired second hand via e-bay and would give you a hard to beat sound or alternativly you could get the marantz system via richer sounds and recieve free wharfdale 10.1 speakers which you could re-sell and put towards the monitor audio rx6's. i hope this has been of some help
emotion-21.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
THESTIG08:
a couple of set ups spring to mind

• MARANTZ PM6003 AMP
  • MARANTZ CD6003 CD PLAYER
  • MONITOR AUDIO RX6

or

• CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A V2
    Black Stereo Amplifier

• CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640C V2
    Black CD Player

• MONITOR AUDIO RX6
The cambridge set up could be aquired second hand via e-bay and would give you a hard to beat sound or alternativly you could get the marantz system via richer sounds and recieve free wharfdale 10.1 speakers which you could re-sell and put towards the monitor audio rx6's. i hope this has been of some help
emotion-21.gif

You will need much better than those combos to get anywhere near the best out of the RX6s if my RS6s are anything to go by.

How much does the OP have allocated for the amp?

Minigill:Hi Guys Time has come where I can no longer put up with the AV stereo sound ! After 14 years, I am going back to having a dedicated stereo set up. I have no amp, cd or speakers - so a clean start. So I need some help - well rather alot really ! Budget of up to £700 for speakers (stand or floor). Don't mind going second hand but the problem of not being able to listen to them could be a problem, unless I can partner with a suitable amp. Room small/med size. Used to have 685's but sold these to pay for upgrades on the AV side. Amp - prefer S/H, so any speaker/amp combo's recommended would be great. I don't want to spend £100's preferably. Not worried about the CD at the moment, lets get some ideas on the other equipment first. This is purely for stereo and will be stand alone to the AV. Don't listen to alot of music to be honest, but I need a decent sound! Was thinking about the RX6. EB1 amongst others. Prepared to demo where possible, but would like a short list. Thanks ! Gill

If you like the Cambridge then go for the higher end models. I know Richer Sounds were doing the Azur 740 for around £399.

Personally, I'd go for a Rotel amp, either one of the current models or a s/hand RA-02. Brilliant amp. As far as speakers are concerned (standmounted) Epos M12.2 will cost about £450. Once you've allowed for good stands that should bring the total to around £550 or so. Floorstanders, I would go with a pair of Kef IQ5SE's, or Maybe Monitor Audio BR5's.

A

Anonymous

id be looking at the sonus faber liuto monitors or the b&w cm1s both available for around the £600 mark as well as the eb1s

am i right in thinking the budget is up to £700 for speakers alone

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
there are some very cheap used cambridge audio 840 v1 amps around which is a bargain at anything under £400 but I'd also look out for cyrus 6 vs2 and cyrus 8 vs 2 now that they have been replaced by newer models.Good luck.

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Yes, £700 would be for the speakers alone. Maybe around the same for the amp and again for the CD.

The split is a guess, so perhaps a bit of mixing it up. It usually ends up being more/alot more when the bug grips !

Thanks Guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts