I listened to some AVI 9s today....I was a sceptic.....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm not anymore! Wow. A friend wanted a new set up and decided to demo the ADM 9.1 actives. I went along for the ride. I've read a lot about how great they were and how they would murder a £5k traditional set up. I scoffed how could they?

First thing I noticed was they look ok. I was expecting them to look ugly but no, passable. First of all, we listened without any sub. Very good, great detail and a really nice sound. Then, with a modest MJ Acoustics sub. Even better, lovely warmth but still with great detail. Finally, with the matching sub. Wow!! Stunning. I would say that £5k would not buy you a better sound. For under £2k this combo is untouchable value. Special mention to Bartletts Hifi, great service and pleased they got the sale.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
It's hard to believe the value they represent, isn't it? Good on you for posting your thoughts, it can be a dangerous thing to do... :grin:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Well good to hear from an AVI skeptic, I think a lot of forumers (myself included) do not believe the hype particulary because we haven't heard it ourselves. Great review.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Not a chance. My system is better - brand new, mine would have cost me over £6k without cables and they look beautiful. I would say that the AVIs sounded 80% as good though and if I didn't have mine connected to my 5.1 and was starting again I would buy them.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You'd sell your soul for the maggies, once you'd heard them.
You say that but there are many who can't live with the bass that Maggies produce, no denying the mid and treble but the bass is found by some to be lacking. Like I love my brother's Koss electrostats, I just can't listen to all sorts of music through them because of the lack of bass weight.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If I hadn't gone active I'd be keen to try those Martin Logan hybrids. Anybody heard them ?

re. The AVIs, if you get to listen to the 9RS or even the Scanspeak option would be good to hear your opinion.

T

the record spot

* asked the question I originally had here on the AVI forum instead - ignore *

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts