I know its ancient but a wee bit of advice please..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all..

Got a Denon AVRF100 surround system which came with the NXT speakers. One has blown so need to replace. I thought I was stuffed because (in this setup) everything goes through the sub via a umbilical type cord. But found the manual and it seems I can connect any sub and speakers.

Going to use it purely for stereo and not surround sound until I can afford a new system. The speaker connections on the back are the spring loaded clamp type (I assume this is not ideal?)

Currently to make it sound ok playing cds I have to use the subwoofer, will this still be the case if I get some decent speakers?

This means nothing to me but the manual says speakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 ohms can be used.

Room is about 4 x 4m. Dont want great big floor standers so any suggestions which I am best to go for

Any other info you need to help give me a shout and I will see what I can dig up

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi mate,

I've just looked up your amp, I think its a bit underpowered, so to avoid any expensive mistakes, I would upgrade your amplifer first and then when you have more money change your speakers.

If your on a limited budget, check out Cambridge Audio gear. Do a quick google search and you find that the UK dealer, offer reasonable systems to suit limited budgets. You might be surprised at that you can get for a modest outlay.

A

Anonymous

Hi and thanks for the reply...I hear your concerns but to be honest it sounds ok to humble old me at the mo, even with the nxt's so I know it would sound even better with an appropriate set of dedicated stereo speakers if at all possible.

I am not looking at spending a fortune just need to know

a) if it is possible

b) couple of suggestions if it is...

It also want be money wasted as this will then be used in the second room when and if I update

Cheers

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi mate, I know this isnt the answer you wanted to hear, but as far as I can tell the amp is rated at 25watts a channel.

Unless you get a VERY efficent pair of speakers 98, 99, 100db+, you will most likely damage any new pair of speakers you buy, as the amplifier will be clipping.

You may then be in a situation where you will have to buy another pair of speakers and a new amp

A

Anonymous

Hi Sometimes and thanks for sticking with me....
emotion-1.gif

Dont know
if it makes any difference and I probably should have mentioned it
before but my system also has the POA F100 amp (which I believe is 100w)

The AVR F100 I mentioned in my first post is the surround receiver, I only mentioned it as it is this that the front speakers seem to plug in to...sorry this is all very confusing for me
emotion-10.gif

Will this make a difference?

I was thinking of getting the Wharfedale 9.1 but will wait to hear back from you.

Sorry if I have confused the matter...

A

Anonymous

Hmm....just been having a play ( I cant sleep till I get these things sorted
emotion-43.gif
) and have taken the POA completely out of the loop and they (cds) still sound exactly the same, so not sure what it actually does ????

The only connections the poa has are SR, SL and C in and out...so assume it is only useful for surround sound, would that be correct

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts