I just bought an RP6 😬

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Nothing wrong with my planar 2 except someone’s postcode written on it in anti-theft pen. Saw a P6 w/ exact cart 2nd hand & I impulse bought it.

Honestly not expecting to hear much of a difference, but it scratched the itch at half the price of buying a new one. Am interested to hear how the Rega cartridge sounds compared to the VM95ML.

Yey for new turntable day 😃

Oxfordian

Nothing wrong with my planar 2 except someone’s postcode written on it in anti-theft pen. Saw a P6 w/ exact cart 2nd hand & I impulse bought it.

Honestly not expecting to hear much of a difference, but it scratched the itch at half the price of buying a new one. Am interested to hear how the Rega cartridge sounds compared to the VM95ML.

Keep the thread going with a sound update in due course, very interested in finding out how you get on with the Exact.

Reactions: Revolutions

Don't concern yourself about comparing cartridges yet, get familiar first with a improved presentation.

Enjoy the turntable.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Wow is about all I can say 😍

A few hours into listening. Might be my ears but the sound seems fuller through the speakers & the crisp treble is even crisper. Hi-hat taps are a joy to listen to.

There’s still some noise with nothing playing, but I’ve got to go over halfway before it becomes really noticeable. And I’m never likely to push the amp that hard.

Really surprised about how much nicer this sounds with more bottom end & extra clarity on high end.

IMG-1515.jpg

Oxfordian

A few hours into listening. Might be my ears but the sound seems fuller through the speakers & the crisp treble is even crisper. Hi-hat taps are a joy to listen to.

There’s still some noise with nothing playing, but I’ve got to go over halfway before it becomes really noticeable. And I’m never likely to push the amp that hard.

Really surprised about how much nicer this sounds with more bottom end & extra clarity on high end.

IMG-1515.jpg
Delighted that the P6 is making you smile, that is what it is all about, enjoy every note that you hear.

A question if I may; what are those speakers I can't quite make the brand out when I zoom in, and is that your set-up with the speakers seemingly pretty close to the wall, it clearly isn't doing any harm to the sound as you're enjoying what you're hearing.

The reason for my question; whilst my ATC's are excellent I am concerned that my little Hegel hasn't got sufficient grunt to drive them as well as they need to be driven (60W v recommended 75W+) so am contemplating something new that could work close (ish) to the rear wall.

Thanks.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Delighted that the P6 is making you smile, that is what it is all about, enjoy every note that you hear.

A question if I may; what are those speakers I can't quite make the brand out when I zoom in, and is that your set-up with the speakers seemingly pretty close to the wall, it clearly isn't doing any harm to the sound as you're enjoying what you're hearing.

The reason for my question; whilst my ATC's are excellent I am concerned that my little Hegel hasn't got sufficient grunt to drive them as well as they need to be driven (60W v recommended 75W+) so am contemplating something new that could work close (ish) to the rear wall.

Thanks.
Thanks, just put Michael Kiwanuka on & am hearing new detail in the tracks. This is going to send me on a whole additional adventure through the back catalogue 😊

The speakers are monitor audio silver 300. They’re about 20cm from the wall, never had a problem with the bass (until now). Did just have to port them, seems this cart has a much higher output.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

IMG-1515.jpg
I would suggest those speakers are way too close to the turntable and it needs to be on some sort of isolation platform or better still wall-mounted

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I would suggest those speakers are way too close to the turntable and it needs to be on some sort of isolation platform or better still wall-mounted
Appreciate the suggestion- unfortunately there’s a sofa next to the speaker. I’m lucky to have space for that unit but it’s wedged in on both sides. Maybe I’ll move the turntable to the left.

And I’ll look at isolation platforms, I have been known to skip a record with a heavy misstep on loose floorboards,

Oxfordian

Appreciate the suggestion- unfortunately there’s a sofa next to the speaker. I’m lucky to have space for that unit but it’s wedged in on both sides. Maybe I’ll move the turntable to the left.

And I’ll look at isolation platforms, I have been known to skip a record with a heavy misstep on loose floorboards,
Space - unless you are very lucky it is often a compromise we have to accept.

I well remember the loose floorboard, far too many years have passed since I stuffed some squash balls under my hifi to stop the vibrations interfering with the vinyl replay every time I moved around in my bedroom, tread in the wrong place and all of a sudden you had skipped a track and a bit.

:ROFLMAO:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
“There’s still some noise with nothing playing, but I’ve got to go over halfway before it becomes really noticeable.”
Maybe the proximity of the turntable to the speakers is causing the issue? Just a thought.

“There’s still some noise with nothing playing, but I’ve got to go over halfway before it becomes really noticeable.”
Maybe the proximity of the turntable to the speakers is causing the issue? Just a thought.
I think it more likely to be hum induced by being placed above an amplifier.

Easy to check by lifting the deck carefully (obviously within the limits of the cables) while listening to the background noise.

If there was feedback during loud replay then I agree I would suspect the RH speaker was too close.

A wall mounted shelf will serve both to create a greater distance from the amp below and protect from footfall vibrations.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
@al here’s a little update. Noise floor slightly improved with volume right up & nothing playing. No other significant change, except that looking at it makes me dizzy as layout feels off balance. I’m sure that will fix itself with time. Still really happy with the extra beef & treble it’s given the setup 😊

IMG-1579.jpg

Sir Ken Smith OBE

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I also have an RP6 turntable (using with Monitor Audio Silver 300's - 6th gen) and when I first got it, it hummed badly at relatively low volume. It was back and forth to the shop I bought it from many times without a solution. I positioned it in all sorts of ways but it still buzzed. Frustrated, I took it to an independent hi-fi repair shop and he told me this...

"Your arm cable shield is broken at the exit from the arm post and that is causing horrendous noise in one channel and some also in the other when the cable moves."

The good news for me is that he fixed it quite cheaply.

Do a Google search for "Rega" and "buzz or hum" and I bet you get more than a handful of results.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
@al here’s a little update. Noise floor slightly improved with volume right up & nothing playing. No other significant change, except that looking at it makes me dizzy as layout feels off balance. I’m sure that will fix itself with time. Still really happy with the extra beef & treble it’s given the setup 😊

IMG-1579.jpg
Ah you found your Ying Yang :) Congrats on your new TT.

If only my life long collection of vinyl's didn't go missing in my mums garage......I know it was you David (brother)!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I would have gotten a Rega or a Project or maybe even a Flaunce, yeah can't go starting a collection again.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah you found your Ying Yang :) Congrats on your new TT.

If only my life long collection of vinyl's didn't go missing in my mums garage......I know it was you David (brother)!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I would have gotten a Rega or a Project or maybe even a Flaunce, yeah can't go starting a collection again.
Lost mine also.
I started a collection again 4 years ago.
£2500 later🙄(just money spent on vinyl, hardware not included)

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts