I hope this is appropriate

Xring3

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
I’m new to this forum but here goes my problem. I purchased an STA2000B (Realistic) at an auction recently for the princely price of $5.00. I’ve set it up with some speakers and will use it while working in the garage. When I fire it up the speakers make a static sound then nothing. Meters show it is receiving signal and all lights work. BTW….this receiver is heavy…probably weighs 30 pounds.

I’m new to this forum but here goes my problem. I purchased an STA2000B (Realistic) at an auction recently for the princely price of $5.00. I’ve set it up with some speakers and will use it while working in the garage. When I fire it up the speakers make a static sound then nothing. Meters show it is receiving signal and all lights work. BTW….this receiver is heavy…probably weighs 30 pounds.
Was it sold as working?

Gray

As with all auctions…..as is with no warranty expressed or implied.
Oh well, it looks nice 😆

If you isolate it from the mains, nothing to lose by you (or someone you know) opening it up - to check for any obvious visual problem.
Then narrow down the fault....same on all sources? Same on headphones and speakers?
Same on both channels?.....

Xring3

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
After thinking about the problem I decided to change connections from the A speaker channel to the B speaker channel. SUCCESS! Now….the insides probably need cleaning. It came from an auto repair shop and no idea how long it was in that dirty environment. Anyway, after the purchase price of $5.00, 1x12 shelving material was $10.00, speaker wire was $4.50. Now I can turn up the volume and really piss my neighbor off.

Reactions: Al ears and gellert
From previous posts on the subject I seem to recall that this is done in equal measure ;) Retaliation can be sweet.
At the risk of going off topic, many years ago our neighbours left their kids at home and they had a party well into the small hours - wouldn't answer the door when I banged on it. I vowed to wake up at half five and give them a blast of Massive Attack's Angel. Arose within ten minutes of intended time and woke up a house full of morons.

Very satisfying, but the move to a detached house was a high point in life.

Xring3

Dec 2, 2021
Visit site
Years ago in the UK, there was a retail business called Tandy. They had exclusive rights or ownership of the Realistic brand. For the prices they were good. Only heard their receivers with old Jamo speakers IIRC. It was many decades ago so I could be wrong.
In the USA the stores were RadioShack….in the UK and probably Europe they were Tandy. Same company different names depending on where they were operating. Realistic brand sold by both divisions. I think they went bankrupt some time back. Oddly enough the town where I live still has a RadioShack store….it is where I bought my speaker wire the other day. Probably left the sign up so people will know it’s an electronic store.

In the USA the stores were RadioShack….in the UK and probably Europe they were Tandy. Same company different names depending on where they were operating. Realistic brand sold by both divisions. I think they went bankrupt some time back. Oddly enough the town where I live still has a RadioShack store….it is where I bought my speaker wire the other day. Probably left the sign up so people will know it’s an electronic store.
From what you say, it seems RadioShack are more successful as I think Tandy closed their shops in the UK sometime in the 1980s or 90s.
I seem to remember you could hear the music from Tandys from the other side of the shopping high street.

TRENDING THREADS